Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
Has anyone considered a 16” rim? I wouldn’t mind having more sidewall, and it looks to me like there’s enough clearance on the calipers to lose half an inch. Anything I’m missing that would keep a set of 16x6.5 steelies from a Focus from working?

Update:
Ford Bronco Sport Steel 16” wheels! 03FA1C57-AAE4-46D6-9C04-2397BC875228
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Has anyone considered a 16” rim? I wouldn’t mind having more sidewall, and it looks to me like there’s enough clearance on the calipers to lose half an inch. Anything I’m missing that would keep a set of 16x6.5 steelies from a Focus from working?
A 16x6.5 should work, but the Focus wheel offset is around 50mm. IMO, this will not look good as the wheel will be tucked in 1/2" (not flush with the fender). If you want it to look and operate as stock, +35 to +40 mm offset would be best.

OP
OP
Maxwellian

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
A 16x6.5 should work, but the Focus wheel offset is around 50mm. IMO, this will not look good as the wheel will be tucked in 1/2" (not flush with the fender). If you want it to look and operate as stock, +35 to +40 mm offset would be best.
Ah, I was finding them with a +42 offset which I was thinking would put the inside of rim in the about the same place with the slightly reduced width. Might look again at the escape wheels available to find something +35 though

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Ah, I was finding them with a +42 offset which I was thinking would put the inside of rim in the about the same place with the slightly reduced width. Might look again at the escape wheels available to find something +35 though
+42 should be ok. Late model Focus' are +47-50.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/ford/focus/2019/

The late model Escape is +52.5. IMO, not the best look on the Bronco Sport.

OP
OP
Maxwellian

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
That website is just what I needed, was looking at ‘08-12 escape rims, that had the wrong bolt pattern listed, and no bore measurement.

Last edited:

gavin28x

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Did you end up finding anything? Possibly have pictures? I was also interested in a 16" wheel to get another inch of sidewall potentially.

OP
OP
Maxwellian

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
Best match I’ve found in steel are these
https://beta.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/liquid-metal-atom.

They have 6mm(~1/4”) more offset, should be fine with or without a spacer. Need to double check, but there should be extra thread exposed on the studs with the steel rim.

I spent a while mulling over the pros and cons of steel vs alloy. I could maybe use the heat dissipation and lower unsprung weight of alloy more than the ability to tune up a dented rim with a sledgehammer. There are also closer offset matches in alloy, but I do like the plainness of the steel, and they’re way cheap.

I’m going to get the steel ones, if they fit, when my work schedule lightens up in a couple weeks.

Last edited:

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I have to ask why other than the look would someone want 16" wheels ?
I cannot see any performance benefit. Is there a performance difference ?

OP
OP
Maxwellian

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
I don’t know if it will make any difference, but a taller profile tire should flex and grip more when aired down. It’s also half an inch father before your rim bottoms out on an impact. Going to 16” steel also kept the weight the same as 17” alloy.

Last edited:

gavin28x

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Those look really great, I wonder if a 245/70 R16 would work on a BL trim, I need to look further into this.

OP
OP
Maxwellian

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
Same outer dimensions as the 245 65 r16 tires people have been mounting. Read some mixed things about whether they rub at full articulation. Might also be pushing it on the width of these particular rims, which are 6.5”.

Edit: Looks like BFG in that size are good for 6.5” rim, maybe not an issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maxwellian

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
It looks good were in Los Angeles are you I'm over in the valley
I’m in Silver Lake, there’s at least four in my neighborhood, two others the same color as mine.