GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Question of curiosity. If putting larger tires causes speedometer to be off without calibration, is the “live” mpg read out also different? What about the odometer read out? Would that be effected as well? Does my vehicle possibly have a different number of actual miles on it due to different size tires?
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Question of curiosity. If putting larger tires causes speedometer to be off without calibration, is the “live” mpg read out also different? What about the odometer read out? Would that be effected as well? Does my vehicle possibly have a different number of actual miles on it due to different size tires?
is the “live” mpg read out also different? Yes
What about the odometer read out? Yes
Would that be effected as well? Yes
Does my vehicle possibly have a different number of actual miles on it due to different size tires? Yes

All of these things are off but by a pretty small percent.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
Yes, putting on larger tires will cause your odometer to undercount your miles driven and your MPG readout to be less than what you're actually getting. The MPG readout will drop because the car thinks you're using the same amount of fuel as before to travel less distance then you actually are.

I went from 225 to 245 and my MPG readout would rarely top 22 combined. Finally reprogramed the tire size this summer with Forscan and I've been holding steady slightly over 25mpg combined for the last few months. Before I did that, I did hand calculations on real world MPG and I found that I was getting closer to 24.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Yes, they will all be off. You can go to Tire Rack and compare your tires to the ones you want. It will give you all the information on the sizes. As for MPG.....your mileage will vary. Assuming you are going bigger and heavier, your MPG will suffer both in reading and in actuality. As Eric said, its not by a lot but it will change depending on the size difference.

Dperry285

Outer Banks
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ford bronco sport
Yes

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport