rdxland

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS Badlands
We just purchased a used 2021 Bronco Sport (9600 mi) and did not notice a small, but somewhat irritating flaw. The Passenger Airbag indiator light (lower center) on the dash is pushed into the dash. It's like someone thought it was a button and pushed on it and popped it into the dash. It is working just fine, it's just loose, and moves around about 1/4-1/2 inch inside the dash.

Any suggestions on how to get this snapped back in place? I am a pretty accomplished "back yard mechanic", but do not see a way to get in behind this to get it moved. We do have a full bumper to bumper warranty, but going to the dealer seems a bit trivial and a hassle. (The dealer we purchased it from is 200+ miles away and the closest dealer is 30+ miles away. )

Just askin' for thoughts and suggestions.
Sponsored

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
We just purchased a used 2021 Bronco Sport (9600 mi) and did not notice a small, but somewhat irritating flaw. The Passenger Airbag indiator light (lower center) on the dash is pushed into the dash. It's like someone thought it was a button and pushed on it and popped it into the dash. It is working just fine, it's just loose, and moves around about 1/4-1/2 inch inside the dash.

Any suggestions on how to get this snapped back in place? I am a pretty accomplished "back yard mechanic", but do not see a way to get in behind this to get it moved. We do have a full bumper to bumper warranty, but going to the dealer seems a bit trivial and a hassle. (The dealer we purchased it from is 200+ miles away and the closest dealer is 30+ miles away. )

Probably others have pushed it in but I recall a guy stating he accidentally pushed it in and was asking how to fix it. Perhaps you have his vehicle now. Unfortunately I donā€™t recall if he found a solution. If I find the post again Iā€™ll let you know

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Here is the post.. itā€™s a Facebook bronco sport group. So is this your car now?

edit: when I posted the link, the bronco sport forum shows the FB group is no longer available but it is. Just join that FB group and do a search for ā€œpassenger airbagā€.

Ford Bronco Sport Small Dashboard Repair Question 1676135182799

Last edited:
OP
OP

rdxland

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS Badlands
Well, it could be the same vehicle, no way to know.....but it is the issue, that is for sure. Thanks for adding the picture!

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, it could be the same vehicle, no way to know.....but it is the issue, that is for sure. Thanks for adding the picture!
See my edit I made to the postā€¦ there is some suggestions on how to fix (with loop of dental floss), let me know if you find the post or I can post pics of the comments

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
There is a thread here that details how to replace the climate control module with one from a ā€˜21 because it had temp readouts on the dials. Once that is out, which I think was relatively easy, you should be able to get a hand in there to snap that back in place.

OP
OP

rdxland

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS Badlands
There is a thread here that details how to replace the climate control module with one from a ā€˜21 because it had temp readouts on the dials. Once that is out, which I think was relatively easy, you should be able to get a hand in there to snap that back in place.

Is there a link? Thanks!

OP
OP

rdxland

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS Badlands
See my edit I made to the postā€¦ there is some suggestions on how to fix (with loop of dental floss), let me know if you find the post or I can post pics of the comments

Found it and the dental floss idea sound like it could work. Failing that, I will likely bite the bullet and go to a dealer. We have a warranty since it is a Ford Certified used vehicle, so that should cover it, one hopes. Trivial, but irritating.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
This video details everything you ever wanted to know about taking the dashboard apart.

OP
OP

rdxland

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS Badlands
Thank you. I will speed through this to find the relevant disassembly - but like a lot of things it may require a lot of pieces to come off in sequence to get there!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you. I will speed through this to find the relevant disassembly - but like a lot of things it may require a lot of pieces to come off in sequence to get there!
Just for grins, I removed my glovebox just to see what I could see. Unless you have tentacles you are not getting to the backside of that panel without disassembling the dashboard...

OP
OP

rdxland

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS Badlands
Just for grins, I removed my glovebox just to see what I could see. Unless you have tentacles you are not getting to the backside of that panel without disassembling the dashboard...
Good to know....and not surprising. There is a lot in the dashboard to be sure. I am going with the dental floss solution in this thread first....then likely going to bite the bullet and waste a day at the dealership.

OP
OP

rdxland

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS Badlands
Mark S. -
Did you include an exploded view of the dash? Thought I saw one, but when I came back to this thread, it was not there. No biggie, just askin'

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mark S. -
Did you include an exploded view of the dash? Thought I saw one, but when I came back to this thread, it was not there. No biggie, just askin'
No, I don't have one. If you watch that video, however, you'll find that taking it apart isn't difficult, just time consuming. All you need is a trim tool and patience.

OP
OP

rdxland

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS Badlands
Mark S. - I have skipped around the video a bit and you're right, does not seem to be difficult. But certainly a ton of steps - but then again, the video is aimed at putting in a Nav system. I am thinking that maybe that bottom panel will come off and provide enough access. I will locate a trim tool first (I've used screw drivers on other cars and left some scars. However, since this could take hours, I am thinking my warranty looks good - maybe some hours in the dealer's waiting room playing solitare is more appealing. :cool:
Sponsored