TEdison

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport OBX / 2020 Lincoln Corsair
I managed to resolve an issue with my Factory Nav today. This might be informational for other owners with factory Nav or potential buyers deciding if they want the option.

New Ford vehicles come with (I think?) a 3 month subscription to the Sirius music. Maybe 6 month? There is also a 5 year trial (i.e. free) plan for the Sirius Travelink. The Travelink is what powers the traffic info on the GPS, also nearby attraction info like parking, gas prices and movie times. It also gives road hazard or weather hazard information alerts. When using the system the other day, I noticed it wasn't working right. I had this happen before, from a Sync update that broke it. I didn't do a recent Sync update but I did the usual stuff like resetting the headunit and powering off the car outside in the clear to get it to update and work. Nada.

Went to my Sirius account on their site... Sirius turned off the Travelink. Called. Explanation given? When I cancelled the radio service in December, it also shut off the FIVE YEAR trial of Travelink. They were unwilling to restore the trial and told me I can give them $15 + $2/mo to turn the service back on. In other words, if I never called them about the radio. If I just drove the car and didn't interact with Sirius, the service works for 5 years after purchase. But because I called and killed the music, they shut it all off and refuse to put it back.

Sirius is just plain the worst, den of thieves. They make contacting them difficult and their policies and pricing is just downright anti-consumer. Worse than the shady cable company practices. So if you get the Ford built in Nav, keep in mind you have to deal with Sirius eventually. That really makes the system pointless over just using a navigation device or Carplay. Don't pay Sirius for it. Their entire business model is just tricking people to pay as much as they can. I doubt Ford can advocate for better treatment, but just using Carplay is the easiest course.
Correct. 😉
Sponsored