Service intervals

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
According to the app, the service interval for the 1.5l was going to push about 12k km or so, give or take a bit, the way I am driving.
I spoke with one of the local Ford dealers, and their suggestion is to do the services every 8000 km instead to ensure that things work at their best.
Finding a normal service interval chart online or anyplace else for the BS has been tricky compared to, for example, Toyota or VW who publish exactly what should be done when and suggest shorter intervals for harsh climates. Canada has a harsh climate - we can get 80degree temperature swings here throughout a year - just because we are used to it doesn’t mean it isn’t harsh.
Anyhow, figured this was worth mentioning in case others were experiencing similar difficulties finding “the truth” on this issue.
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I'd say if you use the newest escape as a guage, you would be reasonably close. But your local dealer is probably best. We have the same here. One morning it was 78 and sun was up. By the end of the afternoon it hit 30F and snowed...pure Michigan. My nieces in Phoenix AZ see summer temps above 110 so...their maintenance is far different.

Ford service
I entered 2020 escape and then 21 badlands each with 2.0/4cyl. Same results.

Last edited:

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport Service intervals PXL_20210809_194215439
on the steering wheel menu check oil life. I have used this with Ford and the best time to change is once you get below 20% oil life.
From what I have been told it factors mileage and engine run time. The oil life can also be found in your Ford pass app which you can setup oil change tire rotation reminders.

Blizzard35

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
According to the app, the service interval for the 1.5l was going to push about 12k km or so, give or take a bit, the way I am driving.
I spoke with one of the local Ford dealers, and their suggestion is to do the services every 8000 km instead to ensure that things work at their best.
Finding a normal service interval chart online or anyplace else for the BS has been tricky compared to, for example, Toyota or VW who publish exactly what should be done when and suggest shorter intervals for harsh climates. Canada has a harsh climate - we can get 80degree temperature swings here throughout a year - just because we are used to it doesn’t mean it isn’t harsh.
Anyhow, figured this was worth mentioning in case others were experiencing similar difficulties finding “the truth” on this issue.
Here is the information from the Bronco Sport Owners Manual I found on Ford.ca

NORMAL SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE

Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor™
Your vehicle has an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor that determines when you should change the engine oil based on how you use your vehicle. By using several important factors in its calculations, the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduces environmental waste at the same time.
This means you do not have to remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule. Your vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying a message in the information display.
The following table provides examples of vehicle use and its impact on oil change intervals. It is a guideline only. Actual oil change intervals depend on several factors and generally decrease with severity of use.
When to Expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED Message
Interval
Vehicle Use and Example​
7500–10000 mi (12,000–16,000 km)
Normal
Normal commuting with highway driving No, or moderate, load or towing Flat to moderately hilly roads No extended idling
5000–7500 mi (8,000–12,000 km)
Severe
Moderate to heavy load or towing Mountainous or off-road conditions Extended idling Extended hot or cold operation
3000–5000 mi (5,000–8,000 km)
Extreme
Maximum load or towing Extreme hot or cold operation Extended engine idling

OP
OP

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is the information from the Bronco Sport Owners Manual I found on Ford.ca

NORMAL SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE

Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor™
Your vehicle has an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor that determines when you should change the engine oil based on how you use your vehicle. By using several important factors in its calculations, the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduces environmental waste at the same time.
This means you do not have to remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule. Your vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying a message in the information display.
The following table provides examples of vehicle use and its impact on oil change intervals. It is a guideline only. Actual oil change intervals depend on several factors and generally decrease with severity of use.
Interval
Vehicle Use and Example​
Normal
Normal commuting with highway driving No, or moderate, load or towing Flat to moderately hilly roads No extended idling
Severe
Moderate to heavy load or towing Mountainous or off-road conditions Extended idling Extended hot or cold operation
Extreme
My google-fu is usually pretty good but I couldn’t find this! Thanks.
Going to stick to every 8k km simply because of climate. We don’t often hit -40 (we do) or +40, but we wildly swing about approaching that.

Blizzard35

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
My google-fu is usually pretty good but I couldn’t find this! Thanks.
Going to stick to every 8k km simply because of climate. We don’t often hit -40 (we do) or +40, but we wildly swing about approaching that.
You're most welcome! Cheers from Northern Ontario

OP
OP

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're most welcome! Cheers from Northern Ontario
Which bit? I am going to assume COVID is going to be an arse next year still and my wife and I are planning a trip north instead of east or west. Thinking up through Tobermory and over the island and then north west a touch along the trans Canada. Big loop east and head through Ottawa (picking off roads that look cool along the way) and then home. Could be a giggle.
I want skid plates first. Hopefully, the aftermarket will provide as my Ford dealer cannot be pissed to check if the badlands skid plates will fit a big bend. Unless I can provide a vin from both vehicles, they cannot (will not - I used to work in the automotive sector in parts and there are ways to determine things like picking up the phone and asking someone at Ford Canada...) give me a straight answer. Even then, a vital plate is missing from the front. Oh well.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Which bit? I am going to assume COVID is going to be an arse next year still and my wife and I are planning a trip north instead of east or west. Thinking up through Tobermory and over the island and then north west a touch along the trans Canada. Big loop east and head through Ottawa (picking off roads that look cool along the way) and then home. Could be a giggle.
I want skid plates first. Hopefully, the aftermarket will provide as my Ford dealer cannot be pissed to check if the badlands skid plates will fit a big bend. Unless I can provide a vin from both vehicles, they cannot (will not - I used to work in the automotive sector in parts and there are ways to determine things like picking up the phone and asking someone at Ford Canada...) give me a straight answer. Even then, a vital plate is missing from the front. Oh well.
Oh gosh Tobermory...memories. used to catch the ferry to Manatoulin...some prime fishing and growing up there. If you need a badlands vin 3FMCR9D95MRA59000 badlands.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Interval
Vehicle Use and Example​
Normal
Severe
Extreme
This chart is slightly deceptive, in that anyone that does what I would call "normal commuting", which means some traffic jams along the way should follow the Severe schedule. The Normal means just driving highways and not hitting traffic or stoplights. It might be more appropriately titled Road Trip schedule.

Blizzard35

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Good morning. I'm in The City of Temiskaming Shores, between North Bay and Timmins!

Adanac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I do 10,000km and rotate the tires at the same time...works for me/
Sponsored