Sentiment Poll: Do Dealerships Really Care to Honor the Ford Warranty? (or is the Warranty Really Worth Much?)

Do you feel Dealerships Really Care to Support Ford's Warranty/is the Warranty Still Worth Much??

• Total voters

gcbroncosport

Outer Banks
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Well known that warranty reimbursement rates are meaningfully lower than regular, paid for work in Dealership Service Departments. Service Advisor chasing his/her sales quota for that reason hate warranty work. Obvious enough what management desires (tho there are incentives from vehicle manufacturers like "goodwill" funds that seek to incentivize Dealers to be nice to car owners, somewhat).

Have several buddies that were master mechanics for Dealership Service Departments (all have left tho to either open their own shops or actually pivot to a different industry) and stories shared have been fascinating. Curious to hear from those in the know here their take on this!

Recently moved and so no longer can service my BS at dealership where it was bought. While not stated verbatim, local dealership basically said they don't do warranty work on cars not purchased from them. They are understaffed and with so much non-warranty related work available (obviously a situation that could change :rolleyes:), they don't really care to do warranty work anymore... UNLESS, maybe, you bought the car from them.

Actually completely understandable. But it does raise the curious question whether warranties are, therefore, really worth much anymore?? And that is what this poll is all about!

(for the record, given the situation these days, even "earning" the potential new, paid for (non-warranty) business from my BS seemed not of much interest either... yes, exactly situation that when there is lack of competition... will be a 150+ mile drive to get my car serviced (at least it is feasible, fortunately didn't move across the country!))
Sponsored

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Luckily I live within 60 miles of 4 good Ford dealerships. They do a great job of not selling above MSRP and provide great service. Otherwise, their business will be in trouble.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
If your nearest dealer doesn’t want to offer warranty service then tell them you’re ordering a Big Bronco when the order banks open and you will order from them if they will service your BS. Then order a loaded 2DR Wildtrak. It won’t come in for at least 2 years so you’ll be good through most of the factory warranty. And I’ll buy your Wildtrak when it comes in if it beats mine.

OP
OP
gcbroncosport

gcbroncosport

Outer Banks
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If your nearest dealer doesn’t want to offer warranty service then tell them you’re ordering a Big Bronco when the order banks open and you will order from them if they will service your BS. Then order a loaded 2DR Wildtrak. It won’t come in for at least 2 years so you’ll be good through most of the factory warranty. And I’ll buy your Wildtrak when it comes in if it beats mine.
OMG, I should have thought of that!! BEST idea ever... Can you build out the Wildtrak with the 7 speed manual?? If yes, I may just keep it when it arrives 2 years from now tho... Serious idea tho, I like it 🤓

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
OMG, I should have thought of that!! BEST idea ever... Can you build out the Wildtrak with the 7 speed manual?? If yes, I may just keep it when it arrives 2 years from now tho... Serious idea tho, I like it 🤓
No MT with the Wildtrak. Auto only with the 2.7

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I think the original question could have ended at "Do dealerships really care"..................We bought ours used from a Ford dealer. The manager said "selling cars has never been easier, closer (final offer) is.......... That's the deal, take it or leave it!"

AltoAlto

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus
they don't seem to like the joke that FORD stands for "Fix Or Repair Daily" 🙃

For me - depending what/when it is. I'll usually add in some scheduled maintenance items. So we all knock-off two items in a single visit.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
they don't really care to do warranty work anymore... UNLESS, maybe, you bought the car from them.

Actually completely understandable.
No it's not. One of the selling points of buying from a major U.S. manufacturer is the nationwide network of factory-sponsored service centers. I'm fairly certain that the franchise agreement dealerships maintain with manufacturers requires them to provide warranty service for all of that manufacturer's vehicles, regardless of where they were purchased. Your local dealership can offer other incentives to their customers, like loaner cars, but I don't believe they can turn away a customer that needs warranty work simply because the vehicle wasn't purchased at that dealership.

A quick look at the Ford Protect website clearly says that warranty support is available "across the U.S., Canada & Mexico." The Warranty Guide supplied with my Bronco Sport states, "When you need warranty repairs, your selling dealer would like you to return to it for that service, but you may also take your vehicle to another Ford Motor Company dealership authorized for warranty repairs."

A number of years ago I was in the market for a new car and checked with a local dealer. I got their best offer and took it to another dealer a few towns away who was able to beat it. I went back to the local dealer and gave them a chance to beat the offer from the competing dealership. Pitting one dealership against another apparently annoyed the sales manager, and he called me directly. He told he couldn't beat the offer, but that if I purchased the vehicle from the other dealer I shouldn't expect to have the car serviced at my local dealership. That pissed me off; I don't respond well to threats, and I purchased the car at the other dealer.

After six months or so, I had a small issue that required service under warranty. I took it to the local dealer to see what would happen, and as I suspected it went into the shop no problem. While it was in the shop the dealership's owner apparently noticed the sticker from the competing dealership on my car. When I went to pick it up the owner asked to speak with me. He wanted to know why I hadn't purchased the car from his dealership. I told him what the sales manager had said to me about warranty service, and he promptly fired the sales manager.

Last edited:

davidb1841

Outer Banks
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250 Tremor; Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Some folks base their dealer choice on price of the car. My first consideration is overall dealer honesty and integrity. Price to me is second. Thats if I am shopping for a Ford. If it were a Toyota, Price might be number one because I don't think I will be needing much from the dealer after the sale. I have owned a lot of Fords lately and my dealer is excellent. Wouldn't buy from anyone else......

Edit: So when its time for warranty work.....they are MORE than happy to do it. They make sure everything covered is no charge to me! So my dealer has used the powertrain warranty to fix a turbo coolant leak, instead of using my extended warranty which would have cost me $100.

There is a VERY high correlation between the quality of warranty work and the quality of your dealership!!

Last edited:

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Well known that warranty reimbursement rates are meaningfully lower than regular, paid for work in Dealership Service Departments. Service Advisor chasing his/her sales quota for that reason hate warranty work. Obvious enough what management desires (tho there are incentives from vehicle manufacturers like "goodwill" funds that seek to incentivize Dealers to be nice to car owners, somewhat).

Have several buddies that were master mechanics for Dealership Service Departments (all have left tho to either open their own shops or actually pivot to a different industry) and stories shared have been fascinating. Curious to hear from those in the know here their take on this!

Recently moved and so no longer can service my BS at dealership where it was bought. While not stated verbatim, local dealership basically said they don't do warranty work on cars not purchased from them. They are understaffed and with so much non-warranty related work available (obviously a situation that could change :rolleyes:), they don't really care to do warranty work anymore... UNLESS, maybe, you bought the car from them.

Actually completely understandable. But it does raise the curious question whether warranties are, therefore, really worth much anymore?? And that is what this poll is all about!

(for the record, given the situation these days, even "earning" the potential new, paid for (non-warranty) business from my BS seemed not of much interest either... yes, exactly situation that when there is lack of competition... will be a 150+ mile drive to get my car serviced (at least it is feasible, fortunately didn't move across the country!))
While I could perhaps sympathize with a service department manager trying to meet a quota, that is not my concern. I bought a new vehicle, it came with a 3 year/36K mile Ford factory warranty, and that shall be honored at any Ford repair service center. It states it in the Ford manual.. If a Ford dealership turns down a Ford warranty, I'd be talking to their regional service manager. Ask for that name and phone number (they are required to), call that person and explain what you were told. It is completely wrong for any Ford dealership to turn down Ford factory warranty work. And its NOT COMPLETELY UNDERSTANDABLE.

I'd also be in contact with the Ford rep member here that assists in issues such as this. They pop in on threads like this. It will not surprise me if they have not already done so.

Go to post #10 of this thread below to ask them for assistance:

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/coolant-level-below-minimum-line.8399/#post-147798

Last edited:

OP
OP
gcbroncosport

gcbroncosport

Outer Banks
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
While I could perhaps sympathize with a service department manager trying to meet a quota, that is not my concern. I bought a new vehicle, it came with a 3 year/36K mile Ford factory warranty, and that shall be honored at any Ford repair service center. It states it in the Ford manual.. If a Ford dealership turns down a Ford warranty, I'd be talking to their regional service manager. Ask for that name and phone number (they are required to), call that person and explain what you were told. It is completely wrong for any Ford dealership to turn down Ford factory warranty work. And its NOT COMPLETELY UNDERSTANDABLE.

I'd also be in contact with the Ford rep member here that assists in issues such as this. They pop in on threads like this. It will not surprise me if they have not already done so.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/coolant-level-below-minimum-line.8399/#post-147798
Hehehe... Yeah, I was kinda being sarcastic... Completely "understandable" that all they care about is the $$$ and not the fact that they are legally bound by their franchise agreement to support the warranty regardless whether you bought the car from them or not! There were two 2 dealerships in my area. The other dealer (one I did not take the BS too) actually said that for "warranty" work their booking time was 6 - 8 weeks out...

There are nice enough Ford reps here on the forums but the reality is they are social media reps. What they do is they find a local Ford Dealer based on your Zip Code and simply connect you with the receptionist at the Dealership to make an appointment... And that's really about it (at least from my experience... I even followed up with the Ford rep after and it was crickets).

I do have a friend that works at Ford HQ that offered to reach out to the regional manager (there is a contentious relationship b/w Ford HQ and dealerships these days)... BUT, alas, in the end... Decided to take advantage of the high trade in prices (a few months ago). Bittersweet as do miss the fun factor in the BS, but admittedly am much delighted with new ride and way, way better customer service and overall owner experience :cool:.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Really, very interesting. My 2022 BS Badlands transmission stopped working. Power train-lo power message, engine light on, wrench light on and a message stating “selected gear will engage at low speed.”
Had to have towed to closes dealer, that decker had it a week and had used my roadside to tow it to another dealer. They cannot get me a loaner because they said they have to prove what part is faulty before it can be determined to be covered under warranty.
The car has 16,200 miles in the 17 months I’ve owned it.
Tell me about dealers doing warranty work.
I don’t have a car, I can’t get to work, I can’t get groceries because I can’t get a loaner car until a dealership proves to Ford that the issues are covered under the warranty.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
This is a dealer issue, and not a warranty issue. Time to contact a regional service manager for Ford, as I personally would not accept the bullying the dealer is giving you. If what you state is true, you will have no issues resolving this in your favor.

I'd also start a message with the Ford Motor rep that frequents this site. Get them involved.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: Jrl