Hucci

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Anyone feel like the lane keeping mode get a little too comfortable when driving next to semis? I feel like it gets super close to vehicles in the next lane over. If the vehicle starts going over the line, will it detect it and steer away? Also, I’ll have both my hands FIRMLY on the steering wheel and it will still yell at me to keep both hands on the wheel and sometimes even stop the lane keeping. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing these issues?
Sponsored

CodeGR

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Also, I’ll have both my hands FIRMLY on the steering wheel and it will still yell at me to keep both hands on the wheel and sometimes even stop the lane keeping. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing these issues?
I can't speak to the first question, but what you speak of here regarding having your hands on the wheel sounds very similar to my experience when I rented a 2020 Escape last year. I usually hold the steering wheel toward the bottom, which maybe the car didn't like. I ended up turning off lane centering, but think I gave it second chance later.

OP
OP
Hucci

Hucci

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I can't speak to the first question, but what you speak of here regarding having your hands on the wheel sounds very similar to my experience when I rented a 2020 Escape last year. I usually hold the steering wheel toward the bottom, which maybe the car didn't like. I ended up turning off lane centering, but think I gave it second chance later.
Yep same, I think it expects up to hold our hands at 2&10 like a robot which is uncomfortable lol

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
On our Explorer it is much more generous. It takes about 10 seconds for it to tell you to put your hands on the wheel, and even then I just need to touch the bottom of the wheel.

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
Thanks for confirming my decision to order my BS without 360+ I'd never have it on I'd get to complacent .

OP
OP
Hucci

Hucci

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
On our Explorer it is much more generous. It takes about 10 seconds for it to tell you to put your hands on the wheel, and even then I just need to touch the bottom of the wheel.
Maybe I have a faulty sensor
Thanks for confirming my decision to order my BS without 360+ I'd never have it on I'd get to complacent .
Besides lane centering(which you can turn off), adaptive cruise controls is truly awesome. Especially how the intelligent setting can read road signs and automatically slow down. There’s plenty of other nice safety features that come with it. Also did some research, apparently it beeps at you if it doesn’t detect you moving the steering wheel, a small wiggle stops it immediately.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Anyone feel like the lane keeping mode get a little too comfortable when driving next to semis? I feel like it gets super close to vehicles in the next lane over. If the vehicle starts going over the line, will it detect it and steer away? Also, I’ll have both my hands FIRMLY on the steering wheel and it will still yell at me to keep both hands on the wheel and sometimes even stop the lane keeping. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing these issues?
I find the lane keeping does a great job. Every time I park I find that the vehicle is further to the right than I thought it was. In other words, I feel that I’m more to the left when I’m actually not. Perhaps it’s just your perception.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I absolutely love the 360+. Anything you don’t like can be turned off, and the features are handy on long highway drives. It won’t let you get complacent.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Yep same, I think it expects up to hold our hands at 2&10 like a robot which is uncomfortable lol
Yes, the system seems to be picky about where your hands are placed.

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
I got away with having my left had at the 9 position and that's it. Initially, I thought I was relegated to using 10 & 2, which is very uncomfortable for me. It turns out that the car just didn't like my hands at the bottom of the steering wheel around 5 & 7.

Reactions: Jrl

OP
OP
Hucci

Hucci

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I got away with having my left had at the 9 position and that's it. Initially, I thought I was relegated to using 10 & 2, which is very uncomfortable for me. It turns out that the car just didn't like my hands at the bottom of the steering wheel around 5 & 7.
I figured out, the wheel is looking for resistance not pressure from your hands. Just wiggle the wheel when it yells at you.

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
I figured out, the wheel is looking for resistance not pressure from your hands. Just wiggle the wheel when it yells at you.
You might have a point. Initially, I purposely held the wheel with a light grip because I wanted to "feel" the wheel turning on its own. The BS wasn't havin' that. When I did grab the wheel with my left, I made sure I squeezed the wheel a little bit. If what you say is correct, it's that action that helped because of the resistance I applied. Good catch.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I'm the opposite: I went out of my way to get a Big Bend with the 360+ option. As @DMEARC said, you can customize what systems you want to use or disable. For example, I don't auto-set my speed based on road sign readings, nor do I use automatic lane keeping. I only use adaptive cruise control on the interstate and it makes the trip much easier.

Weston52

Big Bend
First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Solara, 91 Miata
My lane keeping will only yell at me when I actually take my hands off the wheel to test if it will actually steer itself between the lines. Yes it does but it’s a pretty unnerving game of chicken!
I no longer use the active aid feature because in the case specifically of a very winding downhill mountain road at some speed it felt like it was fighting me in the curves with rather twitchy corrections. Again very unsettling so I only use the alert feature now.
And finally, I also experienced the “old guy” alert the other day. Apparently something is following your eyes somehow as the alert to take a break flashed while I was trying to read something on the display screen in relatively small print.
Sponsored