PTown_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Krista
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
So for the first time we've received enough snow that I tried out my Sand GOAT mode the other day when our road hadn't been plowed yet. As soon as I switched it over, my BS BL starts revving the engine up and down. It freaked me out so I switched it to Slippery and went on my way. Tried it again another day, same thing. Tried it a bit longer until the snow wasn't as deep. When I hit the gas it keeps the engine revved, then let off the gas and it does the up and down thing.
For those of you who have used Sand mode, does yours do that too? Is it programmed that way to keep the engine RPMs up to not get stuck? I tried searching in the manual and elsewhere in this forum, but nothing about revving ? TIA!
Sponsored

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
So for the first time we've received enough snow that I tried out my Sand GOAT mode the other day when our road hadn't been plowed yet. As soon as I switched it over, my BS BL starts revving the engine up and down. It freaked me out so I switched it to Slippery and went on my way. Tried it again another day, same thing. Tried it a bit longer until the snow wasn't as deep. When I hit the gas it keeps the engine revved, then let off the gas and it does the up and down thing.
For those of you who have used Sand mode, does yours do that too? Is it programmed that way to keep the engine RPMs up to not get stuck? I tried searching in the manual and elsewhere in this forum, but nothing about revving ? TIA!
“Sand locks 4wd and acts kind of like sport mode. It keeps RPMs high (i.e. in a low gear), disables traction control, and generally tries to keep you moving. It's basically encouraging a lot of wheel slip to keep momentum up. You'll generally hear things downshift and the engine rev up when you enable it”

Reference: https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/when-to-change-goat-modes.3458/

OP
OP
PTown_Bronco

PTown_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Krista
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Odd, ours doesn't do that , nor does it switch off Traction control , I checked when in sand mode , Traction control was still on , as far as the display showed . I switch to low mode when I drive on sand , so don't know if that mode switches to it automatically , but no revving just switching over to it , it is in a lower ratio in low mode ( probably locked in first gear in transmission ) so its going to rev higher . I know its locked in a low range , because the first time I used it I forgot to switch Low off & went on the normal road & got up to about 45 mph & the motor was screaming & I said 'Doooo" , switched it off & away we went .

Things may be happening that don't show up on displays , like Traction control & " low " settings , but they should .

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
On my Badlands, Sand mode engages the center diff lock and turns off traction control.

If your engine is revving up and down on its own, then there is something wrong.

OP
OP
PTown_Bronco

PTown_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Krista
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
Okay, thanks for the input all. Maybe I'll take it to the service dept after all.

OP
OP
PTown_Bronco

PTown_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Krista
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
Tested it again tonight and it's not revving on it's own. I think I was misunderstanding that it was shifting itself to lower gears that made it feel like that way. Thanks all!

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
never had that happen, random.
shouldnt rev up n down like that while trying goat modes.
regarding snow, put it in ‘slippery’ mode and turn the traction control off. it’s some fun.

OP
OP
PTown_Bronco

PTown_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Krista
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I am sure loving this car in the snow! Handles so much better than my previous car (Mazda CX-9), which did pretty good, but couldn't tackle my driveway when it's too deep. The Bronco Sport has been so reliable this winter.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
I am sure loving this car in the snow! Handles so much better than my previous car (Mazda CX-9), which did pretty good, but couldn't tackle my driveway when it's too deep. The Bronco Sport has been so reliable this winter.
thats funny, we went from a mazda cx5 to the bronco. the sport def feels more like a solid truck.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Umm, deep snow is slippery,
Deep sand is not, it’s grabby.
I bet that’s a new word !
I was told by my salesman to only use sand mode in deep sand. Per some tech manual using sand in slippery conditions is very hard on the system.

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
Sand mode seems like the perfect GOAT for some slippy slidy action. It keeps it first gear till the red line and turns off traction control. I don't think I'll ever see off road with my car but so far I couldn't get it to break free on the wet pavement. Too little power/too much traction.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Per some tech manual using sand in slippery conditions is very hard on the system.
I would like to see that 'tech manual', otherwise I think the salesman is full of something...

My theory of Sand Mode is that it uses Sport mode performance settings with traction control off and center diff lock on.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Umm, deep snow is slippery,
Deep sand is not, it’s grabby.
I bet that’s a new word !
I was told by my salesman to only use sand mode in deep sand. Per some tech manual using sand in slippery conditions is very hard on the system.
Did you watch the video on this topic? Most of the videos I watch about driving off-road in the snow suggest sand mode works best, mainly because it allows for higher engine RPM because the system doesn't intervene using brakes. That means more wheel spin, which is also useful for driving in the sand.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
I'm trying to remember where I saw this (maybe in another thread?), but I saw somebody suggesting using eco mode in the snow with the traction control off. I'm paraphrasing, but I think they said it would allow for more wheel spin, but not so much that loses it's usefulness, because the revs are artificially lower due to the eco mode.
Sponsored