CrashBend

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee / Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I installed the Rough Country 1.5" lift kit on my Outer Banks. It works very well. Rough Country sku: 40100. I have 29" tall 10" wide tires (255 55 R18). Next week I will have U-Haul install a hitch. Curt Class 3 Hitch 2" receiver sku: 13474.

Ford Bronco Sport Rough Country 1.5" lift kit installed Rough Country Lift 1.JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Rough Country 1.5" lift kit installed Rough Country Lift 2.JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Rough Country 1.5" lift kit installed Rough Country Lift 4.JPG
Sponsored

rmreid22

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak, 2018 Mustang GT
Did you take before and after measurements from the ground to the fender lip?

OP
OP
CrashBend

CrashBend

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you take before and after measurements from the ground to the fender lip?
No. I did not think of taking any measurements. Guess I should have. Here is a before photo for comparison.

Ford Bronco Sport Rough Country 1.5" lift kit installed CAR3.JPG

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Curious as to how long your Rough Country lift holds up, I installed mine this week and ~40 hrs later and about 30-40 in town miles it has severe front rattle already. Sway bars are in tact, so I’m assuming it’s the design of the space on the strut (that almost everyone else is complaining about). I ordered the HRG lift and it’s on its way.

OP
OP
CrashBend

CrashBend

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you get your hitch let me know how you like it. I need to get one and haven't decided if I want to have Ford do it or not.
I had my hitch installed at the U-Haul service center in Vacaville. The guy did a great job and it was only about an hour to put it on. It looks like a factory install and no indications he took the back facia off to do it. My local Ford dealer, Elm Ford, service manager refused to take on any after market parts installation. In fact he was rather rude about my even asking if they would do the work. No going back there for even an oil change.

OP
OP
CrashBend

CrashBend

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious as to how long your Rough Country lift holds up, I installed mine this week and ~40 hrs later and about 30-40 in town miles it has severe front rattle already. Sway bars are in tact, so I’m assuming it’s the design of the space on the strut (that almost everyone else is complaining about). I ordered the HRG lift and it’s on its way.
So far so good on my lift kit. I guess time will tell.

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Curious, is the rattle like a serious problem or is it more of an annoyance type problem.

BlueBayeux

Badlands
First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2007 Cadillac Escalade
Curious, is the rattle like a serious problem or is it more of an annoyance type problem.
From all of threads I've read on here, it 's a design problem that RC has yet to correct and many have been so bothered that they replaced with the HRG Lift. It sounded like enough of a problem to me that I will opt for HRG myself (when I get my BL). People have had parts snap too and have posted pics.

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
From all of threads I've read on here, it 's a design problem that RC has yet to correct and many have been so bothered that they replaced with the HRG Lift. It sounded like enough of a problem to me that I will opt for HRG myself (when I get my BL). People have had parts snap too and have posted pics.
Well that kinda blows lol im getting that lift and i was hoping it was more just a rattle rather than something that could cause alot of damage.

OP
OP
CrashBend

CrashBend

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Up to now, with a few hundred miles, I have not noticed any problems at all with the lift kit. Totally unrelated to the lift kit or installation the mounting bolts for the front sway bar became loose and had to be retorqued. That did cause a rattle and clunking noise. Not sure why they became loose. That was at around 7500 miles. Factory oversight maybe? We do very mild off roading. Dirt roads, soft sand kind of things.

OP
OP
CrashBend

CrashBend

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you get your hitch let me know how you like it. I need to get one and haven't decided if I want to have Ford do it or not.
I had U-Haul put the hitch on. Took only a couple hours. They used the 4 bolt direct mount. Great installer, he made it look factory. I only do very light hauling with the OB.

BlueBayeux

Badlands
First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2007 Cadillac Escalade
Well that kinda blows lol im getting that lift and i was hoping it was more just a rattle rather than something that could cause alot of damage.
Well don't feel totally discouraged. Lots of people have that lift. Maybe read through the threads to see under what circumstances/conditions people have had issues and hopefully there are some solutions. I know the rattling issue is a design flaw but I don't think that that in and of itself is problematic. If you can back out, that would be optimal. Nothing sucks worse than paying for an upgrade that brings you misery. Good luck and keep us posted with your experience.

Last edited:

Bdud

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I had my hitch installed at the U-Haul service center in Vacaville. The guy did a great job and it was only about an hour to put it on. It looks like a factory install and no indications he took the back facia off to do it. My local Ford dealer, Elm Ford, service manager refused to take on any after market parts installation. In fact he was rather rude about my even asking if they would do the work. No going back there for even an oil change.
Why would they when they sell an oem hitch?

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Unless they have fixed it, the strut spacer is putting all the load through the bolt at the top of the strut, instead of through the “hat”. That single point of support, instead of a big round ring, is a very bad thing. I think the noise is coming from the whole thing bending on the single point of support.

The other issue is the little brackets they supply to move the attachment point for the sway bar endlinks. Those brackets have broken for some. If I purchased one of those lifts, I’ll be looking for sway bar endlinks that are the right length (or adjustable to the right length).

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Well don't feel totally discouraged. Lots of people have that lift. Maybe read through the threads to see under what circumstances/conditions people have had issues and hopefully there are some solutions. I know the rattling issue is a design flaw but I don't think that that in and of itself is problematic. If you can back out, that would be optimal. Nothing sucks worse than paying for an upgrade that brings you misery. Good luck and keep us posted with your experience.
Driven close to 500 miles already with no noises or problems of any kind. Maybe that will change though once i decide to go on trails or rougher roads.
Sponsored