Rotten Egg Smell

MGM

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I pulled into my driveway tonight after running some short errands, got out of the vehicle and was greeted to a very pungent rotten egg smell typical of catalytic converter issues. My BS Base has 500 miles on it, first time I've had this issue, built in late August. No recalls.

I don't know if this is relevant additional info, we live in S. FL, temp was about 85 degrees, humidity very high and it was raining. My typical use of the vehicle is less than 10 miles per day, city driving.

Any ideas what may have caused this? I smelled the same one time before about a month ago, hasn't repeated till today.
Sponsored

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
While CAT can definitely be the cause (have dealer check just to get it on record), it can also be as simple as the gas you got (high in sulfer that new CAT just doesn’t eliminate it all). Change to different gas station just to rule that out. Do you use the same station both times?

Sulfur is related to fuel system which is why people go for CAT first since it removes that.

Reactions: RRD

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands - Area 51 "Bad Alien"
That smell is most likely caused by pushing the car revs up (like going up steep hills, passing, etc) which heats up the catalytic converter and burns the deposits of sulphur and hydrocarbons that have built up over the last few weeks.

OP
OP

MGM

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
That smell is most likely caused by pushing the car revs up (like going up steep hills, passing, etc) which heats up the catalytic converter and burns the deposits of sulphur and hydrocarbons that have built up over the last few weeks.
While CAT can definitely be the cause (have dealer check just to get it on record), it can also be as simple as the gas you got (high in sulfer that new CAT just doesn’t eliminate it all). Change to different gas station just to rule that out. Do you use the same station both times?

Sulfur is related to fuel system which is why people go for CAT first since it removes that.
Thanks for your post. Funny thing is that the tank was 1/2 full from a fill-up a few weeks ago. Since I got it, I've only used it a few miles to go to/from work (5 miles). Today...the smell was gone.

I'll have the dealer check it for the record.

iamcris

Big Bend
First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Also while not likely an overcharged battery will emit a sulfur/rotten egg smell (hydrogen sulfide). It's dangerous and batteries can swell and even explode. If you notice your battery is misshaped I'd have it towed to the dealer. This is something you want to check after the car has cooled off.

maximumwang

Big Bend
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Could be an actual dead CAT. Or rat. It's common in my area for rats to climb up into the warm engine area and chew on the wires. And then die, and then stink.

OP
OP

MGM

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Also while not likely an overcharged battery will emit a sulfur/rotten egg smell (hydrogen sulfide). It's dangerous and batteries can swell and even explode. If you notice your battery is misshaped I'd have it towed to the dealer. This is something you want to check after the car has cooled off.
Thanks ...I'll check it out.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
short trip stop and go driving can foul up a catalytic. i'd fill the tank with fresh premium gas, and go for a highway run at a constant high (legal) speed. should blow most of the junk out.
Sponsored