Rooftop Tent Recommendation for a Big Bend BS with 53’ Thule Wingbar Evo crossbars

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Dynamic (in motion) rooftop weight limit is 150 lbs unless you have the moonroof option, then it's only 100 lbs. Max limit when parked is 600 lbs for either.
Well rats! I was thinking I could use the tent to haul the mother-in-law.
Sponsored

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
i tried to center it as much as i could, but it is a lil more towards the rear.

NEFKANO

Badlands
First Name
NEFTALI
Threads
Reaction score
Website
neftalicano.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I'm considering purchasing a roof top tent... in my case one from Thule that has a claimed weight of approx 120lbs... but with my BS/Badlands having a moonroof... I'm hearing I have a limited dynamic load limitation of only 100lbs!

Does this mean with the tent I'm looking at and adding the Thule evo wings and their feet (probably adds another 20lbs) I would be exceeding that load limit of my BS ?

Ugh... hoping to hear fro anyone here who uses a RTT and has a moonroof. Most RTTs I have looked at far exceed the 119lbs I'm looking at and in most cases avg 160lbs.... not counting whatever crossbars and feet one uses.

Any insights appreciated : (

jhnvan

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
I have a thule foothill rtt and it's been great after changing to an air mattress inside of it. It's only 110lbs and only takes half the roof space.

Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent Recommendation for a Big Bend BS with 53’ Thule Wingbar Evo crossbars 20230315_143634

Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent Recommendation for a Big Bend BS with 53’ Thule Wingbar Evo crossbars 20230315_171930

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I'm considering purchasing a roof top tent... in my case one from Thule that has a claimed weight of approx 120lbs... but with my BS/Badlands having a moonroof... I'm hearing I have a limited dynamic load limitation of only 100lbs!

Does this mean with the tent I'm looking at and adding the Thule evo wings and their feet (probably adds another 20lbs) I would be exceeding that load limit of my BS ?

Ugh... hoping to hear fro anyone here who uses a RTT and has a moonroof. Most RTTs I have looked at far exceed the 119lbs I'm looking at and in most cases avg 160lbs.... not counting whatever crossbars and feet one uses.

Yes, the Bronco Sport has a limited dynamic weight limit for rooftop loads. This is owing mainly to the vehicle's high center of gravity--it's a relatively tall and narrow vehicle. The high roof line makes for a comfortable interior and more space inside, and the narrow track means you can go places off-road that wider vehicles can't. But all engineering endeavors involve tradeoffs. In this case, placing a load all the way on top of your Bronco Sport gives it more leverage to affect your car's handling and roll-over resistance.

There's nothing structurally preventing you from putting more weight on your car's roof; the static load limit is 600 lbs. If you do, however, you must accept that on-road emergency maneuvering (a hard swerve is the most likely roll-over scenario) is compromised, and drive accordingly.

The Rinzler

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport

I also have a BS Badlands with a moon roof.
I've also been shopping for a RTT but have some time to do so. The Yakima 2 person and the Thule seem like the only 2 options that we can really consider if we want to stay near the 100lb limit.
I know some people run over the weight limit with the moon roof at about 130+ with the "R.O.A.M".
But I REALLY don't want to add any body role or nose diving.
I will be fallowing closely.
Hope maybe someone has some recommendations or experience with this.

NEFKANO

Badlands
First Name
NEFTALI
Threads
Reaction score
Website
neftalicano.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Yes, the Bronco Sport has a limited dynamic weight limit for rooftop loads. This is owing mainly to the vehicle's high center of gravity--it's a relatively tall and narrow vehicle. The high roof line makes for a comfortable interior and more space inside, and the narrow track means you can go places off-road that wider vehicles can't. But all engineering endeavors involve tradeoffs. In this case, placing a load all the way on top of your Bronco Sport gives it more leverage to affect your car's handling and roll-over resistance.

There's nothing structurally preventing you from putting more weight on your car's roof; the static load limit is 600 lbs. If you do, however, you must accept that on-road emergency maneuvering (a hard swerve is the most likely roll-over scenario) is compromised, and drive accordingly.
Ok this makes sense and what I was gleaning from other comments on the forum with regard to "what is, and what does it mean when it comes to dynamic weight load!"

I use to make fun of peeps who had these roof top tents and after looking at buying or fabricating a smallish tear drop trailer to serve the same purpose... and seeing costs/prices fall between10K to 40K yikes... I'm starting to fall in love with the idea of a RTT... see I even have the acronym down! ha!
Sponsored