Rooftop Tent Recommendation for a Big Bend BS with 53’ Thule Wingbar Evo crossbars

Fredghost

Big Bend
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I’m looking into getting a RTT and I currently have the 53’ Thule Wingbar Evo crossbars.
I’m unsure of the weight that the bronco sport with these crossbars can handle in terms of the RTT weight during travel and also with people sleeping in it.
Also curious about the kind of RTT I should look into as I am a newbie.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Dynamic (in motion) rooftop weight limit is 150 lbs unless you have the moonroof option, then it's only 100 lbs. Max limit when parked is 600 lbs for either.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Dynamic (in motion) rooftop weight limit is 150 lbs unless you have the moonroof option, then it's only 100 lbs. Max limit when parked is 600 lbs for either.
The evos list something like 220 lbs load rating, safe to assume that they dynamic vice static rating?

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Something is missing from your question, plus I don't know what "evos" is. Can you restate?
Evos are the Thule Wingbar Evo crossbars the OP has installed. Thule only lists one load rating for them. I'm asking if it is safe to assume it is the dynamic rating Thule is listing.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Evos are the Thule Wingbar Evo crossbars the OP has installed. Thule only lists one load rating for them. I'm asking if it is safe to assume it is the dynamic rating Thule is listing.
Ahhh. I don't think Thule differentiates between dynamic and static because that's vehicle specific. The vehicle manufacturer sets those limits for their vehicles.

GaryS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Actually it's a little annoyingly complicated in that the bars are rated at 220 lbs but if you use the Rapid Crossroads feet then THOSE are rated at 165 lbs (and you use the lowest rated part as the max weight rating).
Further, the dynamic weight rating of the car is irrespective of what kind of bars you use.
Myself, I'm assuming there's flexibility in the dynamic car limit based on your speed and how careful and smooth you drive. I'm basing that on nothing but a hunch and experience with previous cars.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
we have the smittybuilt tent, with the annex room on the thule wingbar evo setup. zero issues.

Reactions: MJE

JohnRubinsky

Big Bend
First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I went with the Yakima Skyrise HD3. Also have the Slim Shady awning, and the Yakima crossbars.

Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent Recommendation for a Big Bend BS with 53’ Thule Wingbar Evo crossbars IMG_0159
I have a bronco sport and I'm looking into getting a RTT (probably the one from Rough Country) but to be honest I would like the tent to open towards the back not to the sides, I have that taller crossbar so my tent would be sitting maybe 1 or 2in higher than yours. Would I be able to open the trunk? Even if it doesn't open all the way up, just about 80%, that would be ok. But would I have enough clearance for the ladder with the trunk open? Would it work? Thanks

Princeton9s

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have a bronco sport and I'm looking into getting a RTT (probably the one from Rough Country) but to be honest I would like the tent to open towards the back not to the sides, I have that taller crossbar so my tent would be sitting maybe 1 or 2in higher than yours. Would I be able to open the trunk? Even if it doesn't open all the way up, just about 80%, that would be ok. But would I have enough clearance for the ladder with the trunk open? Would it work? Thanks
Late reply I know but haven't been on in a while. I don't think you would be able to open the trunk much when the ladder was down. I suppose it would depend on the tent. Picture for reference.

Ford Bronco Sport Rooftop Tent Recommendation for a Big Bend BS with 53’ Thule Wingbar Evo crossbars BRONCO RTT