Roof rack fairing/wind deflector: short to fit within roof rails or long enough to cover crossbar legs

BroncoSportVA

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have a BL and regular old Thule SquareBar crossbars. Always felt that the legs create the most drag (and wind noise) though the square crossbars don't help either. I am wondering if it's wise to buy a fairing that's longer than the space between the two roof rails so that the whole fairing sits above the roof rails and cover the crossbar legs as well. All the photos I have seen show the fairing sitting just above the car's roof, between the two roof rails.
Sponsored

SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I have a BL and regular old Thule SquareBar crossbars. Always felt that the legs create the most drag (and wind noise) though the square crossbars don't help either. I am wondering if it's wise to buy a fairing that's longer than the space between the two roof rails so that the whole fairing sits above the roof rails and cover the crossbar legs as well. All the photos I have seen show the fairing sitting just above the car's roof, between the two roof rails.
I would probably stick to like a 40” faring that would go from bars to roof. Most faring you would have to possibly cut to to go over side rails of roof to even get close to the roof since the legs of the cross bars would rest on side rails. You want the faring to sit low ( as close to roof as possible) to prevent airflow from passing under it.
I’m looking at getting a fairing myself and looks like the Yakima 40” would be best.

SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Just added a Yakima fairing to my rack set up. Bout a 46” as the 40” are sold out until February or March. Had to trim like 1.5” off each side but was super easy and fits better then the 40” would have by covering that extra 3” of space.
Ford Bronco Sport Roof rack fairing/wind deflector: short to fit within roof rails or long enough to cover crossbar legs C488B228-5481-4F52-8209-B9978C2F1799

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Just added a Yakima fairing to my rack set up. Bout a 46” as the 40” are sold out until February or March. Had to trim like 1.5” off each side but was super easy and fits better then the 40” would have by covering that extra 3” of space.
Ford Bronco Sport Roof rack fairing/wind deflector: short to fit within roof rails or long enough to cover crossbar legs C488B228-5481-4F52-8209-B9978C2F1799
Did it help with noise and mpg?

SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Did it help with noise and mpg?
Just took it out for a test ride and seemed like it did help with noise at under 60mph. Seemed about the same above 60mph but didn’t drive that long in the 60mph area. It seemed to help the mpg a little in the 15mile drive…so we’ll see how if changes things after a week of commuting.
Sponsored