Replacement bolts for OEM cross bars

kmmcguinn

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hi all, long-time forum lurker, first-time poster.

I recently ordered the OEM cross bars for my 2021 Outer Banks. I opened the box, put them in the basement, and didn't think about them for a few weeks (I'm a new dad, time for hobbies is limited right now). When I got around to installing them a few weeks later I found they didn't fit well and when I tried to secure them the torx key included for installation stripped the heads of two out of the four bolts that affix the cross bars to the roof rails.

I am no mechanic but I have done plenty of my own automotive work before. These bolts were crap and the torx key included was worse. They were defective in my opinion. I called and emailed Ford Customer Service, who were absolutely no help. Since the order was over 30 days old and I didn't keep the original box they refuse to accept a return and were not able to find me replacement bolts for the set up. I tried taking the two remaining functional bolts to Ace Hardware and Home Depot to find replacement but was unsuccessful. I took a chance and tried ordering new bolts from an OEM Ford Parts supplier but the ones labeled "Bronco Sport Cross Bar Bolts" weren't even close to a fit.

Does anyone have any sage advice as to how I can either facilitate a return or find some replacement bolts to get this thing installed?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Have you asked the parts department at your dealership?

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
If you can determine the correct diameter and thread pitch (metric or otherwise) and length, I would figure yu should be able to source something from Grainger.com or Fastenal. Both have a pretty good selection of various types. Cheers!

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
There is a real good, old fashioned hardware store where I live. I'm always able to take in a bolt, nut, washer, O ring, or whatever to that store, and they find me a match. These types of true hardware stores are few and far these days.

You're next best bet is to find a NAPA auto parts store. They can match you up with what you need. Just be sure the head of the bolt matches up with the original, as if my memory serves me when I installed mine, they counter sink into a hole, hence the reason for the $%#@ star pattern head and tool. I'll bet the NAPA auto store will have them in hex instead of the star. Just be sure you have that tool before you leave.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
Hi all, long-time forum lurker, first-time poster.

I recently ordered the OEM cross bars for my 2021 Outer Banks. I opened the box, put them in the basement, and didn't think about them for a few weeks (I'm a new dad, time for hobbies is limited right now). When I got around to installing them a few weeks later I found they didn't fit well and when I tried to secure them the torx key included for installation stripped the heads of two out of the four bolts that affix the cross bars to the roof rails.

I am no mechanic but I have done plenty of my own automotive work before. These bolts were crap and the torx key included was worse. They were defective in my opinion. I called and emailed Ford Customer Service, who were absolutely no help. Since the order was over 30 days old and I didn't keep the original box they refuse to accept a return and were not able to find me replacement bolts for the set up. I tried taking the two remaining functional bolts to Ace Hardware and Home Depot to find replacement but was unsuccessful. I took a chance and tried ordering new bolts from an OEM Ford Parts supplier but the ones labeled "Bronco Sport Cross Bar Bolts" weren't even close to a fit.

Does anyone have any sage advice as to how I can either facilitate a return or find some replacement bolts to get this thing installed?

Thanks in advance!
Are you confident you ordered the correct crossbars? There are two different versions available based on trim level and, in the case of OB, model year. 21 OB has “on road” cross rails whereas 22 and 23 OB have the “off road” cross rails.

OP
OP

kmmcguinn

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Thank you for all your replies and suggestions!

Have you asked the parts department at your dealership?
I have. Since I ordered these online the dealership parts department won't get involved. Neither them nor the customer service phone operators can help me find replacement bolts either. Both of them point out that a lot of these parts are made by third-party manufacturers for Ford, even if they are sold as OEM parts, so Ford usually doesn't have replacement bits.

If you can determine the correct diameter and thread pitch (metric or otherwise) and length, I would figure yu should be able to source something from Grainger.com or Fastenal. Both have a pretty good selection of various types. Cheers!
I'll check these suppliers out! This was my original plan, I just didn't have any luck at the local hardware stores.

Are you confident you ordered the correct crossbars? There are two different versions available based on trim level and, in the case of OB, model year. 21 OB has “on road” cross rails whereas 22 and 23 OB have the “off road” cross rails.
Yep, I double and tripled checked this before ordering. I got the bars that are compatible with the '21 Outer Banks.

RPYLE50

Outer Banks
First Name
Rowdy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Good evening! I know this post is old, but I just purchased OEM Crossbars for my OBX and have the exact same issue. Has anyone been able to locate a reputable place to purchase t25 25mm countersink bolts? Thank you for any advice that folks may have!

OP
OP

kmmcguinn

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Good evening! I know this post is old, but I just purchased OEM Crossbars for my OBX and have the exact same issue. Has anyone been able to locate a reputable place to purchase t25 25mm countersink bolts? Thank you for any advice that folks may have!
I was never able to find suitable replacement bolts but I was able to eventually badger Ford into accepting my return and refunding me.
Sponsored