Remove entire rear seat? (Bottom + Upright)

endrMinr

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport
Has anybody removed the entire rear seats, both the bottom and the upright section? I know the bottom removes pretty easily (just 2 plastic clips) but do you have to pull out the entire seat frame to remove the upright portion? Needing to move someone across the country and would like the extra ~10 cubic feet with the seat completely removed, otherwise I may need to rent a uhaul trailer. Trying to avoid the decrease in mpg and rental cost from a trailer, which could be exorbitant.
Sponsored

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Yes they come off; one socket wrench and you are good to go. Had to remove seats to put on seat covers. Not hard at all....

rabb

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS
Has any one REALLY removed the entire rear seat? 'Frame and all?
It looks easy at first pass - 8 bolts.
But the seat frame is under/behind the cargo side interior panels. How do you remove them?
and, also... Unplugging the seatbelt and airbag wires creates a fault and a persistent dashboard warning.
help?

sdchrisp

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Has any one REALLY removed the entire rear seat? 'Frame and all?
It looks easy at first pass - 8 bolts.
But the seat frame is under/behind the cargo side interior panels. How do you remove them?
and, also... Unplugging the seatbelt and airbag wires creates a fault and a persistent dashboard warning.
help?
Do you have an update at all on this? I know itā€™s a year later, but Iā€™m looking to do this as well

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
Why not just fold your seats down and look at what bolts you need to remove. Is only a few

sdchrisp

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I saw that a while ago, but Iā€™m also trying to remove the seat backings as well. Not just the lower parts. I havenā€™t been able to find anything on that
Got it, thanks for the reply. I havenā€™t seen removing the seat backings either.

OP
OP
endrMinr

endrMinr

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport
I did manage it - I dont have pictures but I can take some later. I did it the hard way at first to find the easier way.

Removing the bottom frame itself is very difficult because it goes under the plastic cover on either side of the cargo space. I managed to do that by taking out a variety of bolts and basically disassembling the rear of my bronco. Thats how I discovered the seat uprights are actually not bolted at all.
The trick is that the outside hinge on the seat has a spring that presses a disk into an indentation - get a screwdriver in there to depress that disk out of the indentation and the whole seat can slide up and out. The middle hinge between the two seat backs is fairly loose, just a bar stuck through a hole on the bottom frame. There are a couple cables for seat occupation detection and seatbelt detection, which are fairly easy to remove but throw an error everytime the car is on.

rabb

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS
i quit reading this forum because it had so little help and so much BS (BS, not BroncoSport) but i got an email telling me this thread came back to life...

i did manage to completely remove the rear seat. it was not at all easy, but well worth it. i built a platform, flat with the lower position of the cargo floor, with lots of great storage cubbies where the rear seat bottom and foot well were. another small panel folds down when the front seats are moved all the way forward - providing a 7-foot bed. rubber flooring and a custom mattress top the 'camper conversion'.

so... removing the seat?
1) remove seat backs
2) remove interior
3) remove seat frame
the hardest part is squishing those seat pivot springs (that endrMinr mentions) in order to remove the seat backs. i'm sure shops have a special tool to do this easily, but with screwdrivers and sweat it can be done. the most frustrating part is disemboweling the complete rear interior trim. once you get to that point, it's just a few bolts and electrical unplugs. the seatbelt and airbag faults can be fixed with either a "Ford Diagnostic Plug" or a home-made resistor jumper. there are videos and articles on the intertube for each of these tasks. or ask your dealer for a look at the service manual.
the removal is reversible, but i certainly wouldn't want to do that again. the seat makes a good garage couch, and my BS is a great camper.

OP
OP
endrMinr

endrMinr

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport
i quit reading this forum because it had so little help and so much BS (BS, not BroncoSport) but i got an email telling me this thread came back to life...

i did manage to completely remove the rear seat. it was not at all easy, but well worth it. i built a platform, flat with the lower position of the cargo floor, with lots of great storage cubbies where the rear seat bottom and foot well were. another small panel folds down when the front seats are moved all the way forward - providing a 7-foot bed. rubber flooring and a custom mattress top the 'camper conversion'.

so... removing the seat?
1) remove seat backs
2) remove interior
3) remove seat frame
the hardest part is squishing those seat pivot springs (that endrMinr mentions) in order to remove the seat backs. i'm sure shops have a special tool to do this easily, but with screwdrivers and sweat it can be done. the most frustrating part is disemboweling the complete rear interior trim. once you get to that point, it's just a few bolts and electrical unplugs. the seatbelt and airbag faults can be fixed with either a "Ford Diagnostic Plug" or a home-made resistor jumper. there are videos and articles on the intertube for each of these tasks. or ask your dealer for a look at the service manual.
the removal is reversible, but i certainly wouldn't want to do that again. the seat makes a good garage couch, and my BS is a great camper.
I as well built a platform, but sounds like I did it a bit differently. I took out half of the rear, but left the bottom and passenger side upright so I can still sit 3. I built a platform over the driver half, such that it is level with the cargo space, giving me almost 6ft of flat on one side while still sitting 3. My next goal is to build cabinets and drawers behind that passenger rear, so I still have the clear space on the driver side but lots of storage on the passenger side
Sponsored