mrsrebel

Big Bend
First Name
Mona
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I'm new to remote start (last new vehicle was an '03!) and we just had the first of our Missouri nasty weather. I started via Ford Pass twice yesterday to try to keep ice off the windows. This morning, car won't start--jump start put it back into operation.
So, remote start doesn't actually 'start' the car?? As I said, new to all this so don't beat me up too bad :) I will say that it handled the ice and snow on our hillside quite handily once it DID get started.
Also, looking for good option (other than building a garage) to keep snow/ice out of wiper area. On my previous car I did the "wipers up" thing but that won't work with remote starting to defrost etc.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I started via Ford Pass twice yesterday to try to keep ice off the windows. This morning, car won't start--jump start put it back into operation.

Also, looking for good option (other than building a garage) to keep snow/ice out of wiper area. On my previous car I did the "wipers up" thing but that won't work with remote starting to defrost etc.
I'm a bit unclear about what happened. You said you started the car using remote start twice, but when you tried to start it this morning it wouldn't start. Did you confirm the engine actually started using remote start? According the Owner's Manual (pg 117) remote start will not work if the battery voltage is too low.

I believe your best option for keeping snow and ice out of the wiper cowling will be a cover of some sort. Some here have recommended the Frost Guard.

OP
OP
mrsrebel

mrsrebel

Big Bend
First Name
Mona
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Yeah, it started and ran yesterday--windows looked pretty good (from inside house, it was like 10° out there, I wasn't going out!) and then this morning I was going to remote start and app said it couldn't (need to drive after two remote starts without driving it said) so I ventured outside. Radio would come on, lights etc., but no engine turn over.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...this morning I was going to remote start and app said it couldn't (need to drive after two remote starts without driving it said) so I ventured outside. Radio would come on, lights etc., but no engine turn over.
A note on pg 118 of the Owner's Manual states:

Note: A maximum of two remote starts, or
one remote start with an extension, are
allowed. To reset the restart procedure
switch the vehicle to on, then to off.

I sounds like all you needed to do was turn the ignition on, then off to reset the system before you could start it again.

OP
OP
mrsrebel

mrsrebel

Big Bend
First Name
Mona
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I was sitting in it this a.m. after trying remote app (cold out there LOL!) and tried several times to start. It wouldn't turn over. Requested service, when they arrived they tried the booster pack but said maybe it didn't have enough 'juice' cause it had been in truck overnight ( 9°) but it started RIGHTUP with jump. I definitely learned something (and hoping to not do again). I probably had it running too long too, it heats up quickly so 5 min would have probably sufficed.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I probably had it running too long too, it heats up quickly so 5 min would have probably sufficed.
The battery is recharging any time the engine is running, so it doesn't matter how long you let it idle. Either you have a bad battery, or the failure to start had something to do with the logic in the programming of the remote start system.

If it happens again I would try doing as the manual says: Turn the ignition on, then off to reset the system. Following that, the engine should start right up. If it doesn't then you most likely have a faulty battery.

OP
OP
mrsrebel

mrsrebel

Big Bend
First Name
Mona
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
When it's not so darned cold I might try to recreate (not running long though) by remote starting twice and attempting again and see what transpires. Just glad I wasn't stranded this a.m. So much to learn LOL!
Sponsored