JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
This weekend, we took an excellent class on using the Hi-lift Jack (lifting, casting, winching). Given that the BS doesn't / won't have a winch or rock rails, it was really valuable to learn how to use this tool on the Sport (hint: don't use the jack on those pinch welds for the factory tire jack!).

The class was put on by Backroad4WD (current website: https://www.threeamigosoffroad.com). They are certified International 4WD Training Association instructors and run out of Washington/Oregon. They liked the BS BL, pointed out its great traits and the cautions. We talked about the tradeoff of the Off-Roadeo and a more vehicle-agnostic driving training (PM me and I will tell you more). There are some good pictures on their FB page.

I'm glad I waited until taking this course to buy my extraction kit. They had great advice. They talked about why the "bad" reputation that the Hi-Lift Jack gets is unwarranted and usually due to bad user behaviour.

If you are interested, here is what I settled on based on their advice (and neither they nor I get compensated for any of this advice!)

• Shovel (because the easiest extraction is to dig out a little! Do the simplest thing you can)
    • Use a good basic shovel.
    • (in my opinion, those folding shovels with teeth look really cool. But they look like a great way to puncture my tire if I'm digging next to it!)
  • Jack
    • Hi-Lift Jack Extreme
    • Hi-Lift Bumper Lift (for use in rigging it for a winch)
    • Hi-Lift Handle Keeper
    • Yakima mount for Hi-Lift Jack
  • Hitch
  • Line (they talked A LOT about the important factors in line, shackles, straps, etc. Who knew it was this technical!). There is a great local company, ASR Offroad, who sells for Safe-Xtract which provisions SOE tactical gear for those agencies). After lots of discussion, this is the kit they all recommended specifically for the Bronco Sport with the Hi-Lift Jack.
  • Two 50000-70000kn carabiners (I got the high quality Omega Pacific; unfortunately, they are going out of business so if you can find them, it's worth it)
  • MaxTrax (two or four)
Of course, you need to be trained in how to use all of this kit to use it safely. Use at your own risk.

My wife and I talked a lot about buying all of this all at once. It is a fair amount of money.
  • Relative to the cost of the BS/BL, it is good value insurance
  • These guys have researched a lot of gear, good and bad, spending their own money and this is what they have also bought with their own money.
  • It is sort of a complete set of stuff you pretty much have to get together if you want to lift, cast, and winch using the Hi-Lift Jack system.
Their advice was, "you can buy cheaper stuff and you will buy more of it again in a few years. In our experience,
Buy Once - Cry Once
you will be money ahead.

I will post pix once I get this.

Now, I gotta go out this summer!
Sponsored

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
Just a heads up! Hi-Lift jacks are a wonderful tool and they work well when properly maintained and used. If not properly maintained and used, watch out for broken fingers, wrist and arms. Laceration and other injuries are also possible.

While this may seem obvious, often a hi-lift jack can go unused for years and then when needed they fail due to improper maintenance. Failure often means more than the jack didn't work properly.

OP
OP
JamesT

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
Just a heads up! Hi-Lift jacks are a wonderful tool and they work well when properly maintained and used. If not properly maintained and used, watch out for broken fingers, wrist and arms. Laceration and other injuries are also possible.

While this may seem obvious, often a hi-lift jack can go unused for years and then when needed they fail due to improper maintenance. Failure often means more than the jack didn't work properly.
That is what I liked with this training. They emphasized all of that plus the appropriate hand placement and body mechanics and thinking practice for using the tool in a safe way. Like with any tool, user behaviour is critical... and often forgotten. And you gotta practice with your tools.
Sponsored