Receiver insert shakle vs hook?

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hi! I am starting to do some off-roading, so I am a newby. It is better to have a recovery insert that is a D ring or a hook? I know I need something, bueno have no experience. It is a 2" insert? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
A “D” ring shackle on a 2 inch receiver mount is better than a hook.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
A “D” ring shackle on a 2 inch receiver mount is better than a hook.
Ya & the Bad Lands should have two "D" Rings in the Front ., correct ? Are you asking for the rear or just in general ?

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I say shackle and that is what I have but... My OG bronco I had as a young man had a "custom" rear bumper installed by the previous owner made of C channel with a tall upward facing hook.

I was never tailgated in that Bronco.

OP
OP
Bamsi

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I say shackle and that is what I have but... My OG bronco I had as a young man had a "custom" rear bumper installed by the previous owner made of C channel with a tall upward facing hook.

I was never tailgated in that Bronco.
I Just imagine no owner to be su dumb to tailgate someone with such a bumper!

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Have a hook that I can put into a 2-inch tow hitch. And prefer that and or open receiver like on the front of Badlands.
Because the tow straps I use already have a bound loop on the ends and do not need to be tied through.
don't like the shackles as much because those threads can get stuck when have to be utilized. do not want to have to tie a anything to a shackle and having to unscrew the shackle to then put the tow strap on it can be difficult especially if crusted and not used often.

In all the years of off-roading have not had to be tow straped out of a situation.
TRACTION AND GOOD LINES
Is always better than getting stuck.

In most every situation where I see people getting stuck if you have to try and find that shackle to put a tow strap on it you're probably buried in something that's going to make that difficult. Consider making the attachment of the tow strap easier.

Considering winch cables have a hook on them that can go into a shackle very easily.
Consider what tow strap you are going to use.
my tow strap has a hoop loop on the end of it.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Bamsi

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Have a hook that I can put into a 2-inch tow hitch. And prefer that and or open receiver like on the front of Badlands.
Because the tow straps I use already have a bound loop on the ends and do not need to be tied through.
don't like the shackles as much because those threads can get stuck when have to be utilized. do not want to have to tie a anything to a shackle and having to unscrew the shackle to then put the tow strap on it can be difficult especially if crusted and not used often.

In all the years of off-roading have not had to be tow straped out of a situation.
TRACTION AND GOOD LINES
Is always better than getting stuck.

In most every situation where I see people getting stuck if you have to try and find that shackle to put a tow strap on it you're probably buried in something that's going to make that difficult. Consider making the attachment of the tow strap easier.

Considering winch cables have a hook on them that can go into a shackle very easily. Like I mentioned my tow strap has a hoop loop on the end of it.
Thanks for the advice AllTerrain. Thanks to all your opinions, now I can make a better informed decision.

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F350, 2012 Nissan Rogue
I just picked up one of these...

Ford Bronco Sport Receiver insert shakle vs hook? 81YzgbpBzSL._AC_SL1500_

Rhino USA Shackle Hitch Receiver

I have always carried one in my truck and have used it many times to pull people out of danger or back on the road. Not sure I will ever need one for the Baby Bronco, but it's always nice to be prepared as we get a lot inclement weather up here in the sticks. :)

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ya & the Bad Lands should have two "D" Rings in the Front ., correct ? Are you asking for the rear or just in general ?
It has 2 hooks in front, nothing in back. If you have a hitch receiver, you can install what you want in the rear (removing anything for towing you might have installed).

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I bought the Curtis one from https://www.levittownfordparts.com/year/2021-ford-bronco-sport.html. Still break-in' my Bronc in, so someday I'll see how it works. They have the off-road recovery kit which includes a strap which might come in handy as well...
Curt, right? For 2" receiver, solid steel, black carbide-coated, 13,000 lb. cap. (!) D-ring with screw-in pivot/bolt. I need to go out and tighten it up a bit with some pliers -- last thing I want is some crank coming along and removing it w/their fingers (the tongue is locked into the receiver). You can get a recovery strap MUCH cheaper than what Ford or Curt sells.
Sponsored