Recall 22S73 2021-2023 Bronco Sport 1.5L Fuel Injector Issue

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
Gotcha, thanks Mark S.
Sponsored

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I have smelled gas a couple of times during the last month and have checked the top of the engine around injectors and fuel rail but it is still clean and dry. I notified my dealer and was told it took them 3 months to receive the first batch of repair parts and to call back in a month. Also told them I requested a loaner while service is being done, they told me they weren't aware of loaners being issued.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
From the recall notice:

RENTAL VEHICLES Ford has not issued instructions to stop driving vehicles under this safety recall. However, if a customer contacts your dealership requesting a rental/loaner prior to recall remedy availability, please contact the SSSC for further direction.

You could direct the sales person to that wording, and say you are that customer requesting a rental/loaner.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I have smelled gas a couple of times during the last month and have checked the top of the engine around injectors and fuel rail but it is still clean and dry.
Have you noticed any drop in performance, especially under hard acceleration? A significant injector leak will cause a drop in fuel pressure (the leaked fuel is not going into the engine) and will almost certainly affect performance.

When you checked, did you smell gas under the hood? If a leak is small enough the gas can evaporate before you can open the hood and see it, especially if the engine compartment is warm. Your nose is a much better detector than your eyes in this case.

If you smell gas when you look under the hood then I absolutely would not drive the car until Ford fixes it. I would call your service department and tell them you smell gas under the hood and you're worried the car may catch on fire. That should get their attention. At the very least, they can repair whatever component is causing the fuel leak (it may not be an injector) even if they don't have parts to perform the recall work.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Have you noticed any drop in performance, especially under hard acceleration? A significant injector leak will cause a drop in fuel pressure (the leaked fuel is not going into the engine) and will almost certainly affect performance.

When you checked, did you smell gas under the hood? If a leak is small enough the gas can evaporate before you can open the hood and see it, especially if the engine compartment is warm. Your nose is a much better detector than your eyes in this case.

If you smell gas when you look under the hood then I absolutely would not drive the car until Ford fixes it. I would call your service department and tell them you smell gas under the hood and you're worried the car may catch on fire. That should get their attention. At the very least, they can repair whatever component is causing the fuel leak (it may not be an injector) even if they don't have parts to perform the recall work.
I haven't noticed any loss of power or change in gas mileage, under the hood there was a slight (normal) smell of gas that would come from an engine that has just been driven 50 miles and turned off. The gas smell seems to come and go, not an everyday occurrence and was told by the dealer it was safe to drive so if there is a fire it's on them.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
I haven't noticed any loss of power or change in gas mileage, under the hood there was a slight (normal) smell of gas that would come from an engine that has just been driven 50 miles and turned off. The gas smell seems to come and go, not an everyday occurrence and was told by the dealer it was safe to drive so if there is a fire it's on them.
From what I have learned watching court TV shows, get it in writing!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The gas smell seems to come and go, not an everyday occurrence and was told by the dealer it was safe to drive so if there is a fire it's on them.
If they told you this AFTER inspecting your engine then I would say you're safe to continue driving it. If they told you this WITHOUT looking at your engine then I would have it inspected by a technician (it doesn't even need to be a Ford tech, just a mechanic you trust) before continuing to drive it.

BTW, if your service department told you to keep driving the car without first inspecting it then I would strongly urge you to take your car to another dealer for service.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
As per this recent law suit against Ford, the plot thickens in reference to the possible, yet rare fuel leak issue, and routing of fuel away from heat:

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/lawsuit-filed-over-1-5-engine-fire-recall.8168/

https://www.hbsslaw.com/press/ford-escape-and-bronco-sport-fuel-injector-fire-hazard-defect/owners-of-ford-escapes-and-broncos-sue-over-dangerous-defect-that-sparks-spontaneous-fires

IMO, this is the straight opinion of the law firm that is filing the lawsuit. They make it sound as if the injectors used only in the 1.5 liter are suspect. As Mark S has pointed out, all injectors and fuel lines could crack in any vehicle.

Always best to obtain the recall fix if your Bronco Sport is on the list (most 2023's are done prior to them being sold) requires it. I would also suggest you add your name to the second URL above in case there's a possible injector change requirement.
Sponsored

Last edited: