Sobieski

Big Bend
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport - AKA Mulder
Just got my letter. Says to wait for another letter from dealer for setting a time to fix.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TakeTheBlack

TakeTheBlack

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2020 Mazda CX-9
Just got mine today. I was headed to Ford dealer to have my missing parts installed and bailed on the way. I realized they might keep my Bronco Sport locked up.

It could be worse. A recall last summer on Excursion and Lincoln Navigator (?) instructed owners not to park near any “structures”. (Fire hazard).

BigBend

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2021 Ford Escape
Read through the recall notice. The impression I get is this is a half-assed solution by Ford. A tube to drain off any leaking fuel, and some software re-programming? What if a fuel injector does crack? If I am out of warranty (which I am), I have to pay to replace the substandard fuel injectors? I have been driving fuel injected vehicles since the 1980's, never have had to replace a fuel injector. I love the vehicle, but Ford's attitude is what really bothers me.

Bron Swanson

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Sounds like the parts situation is still all over the place...

Went to the dealer down the road in January when I heard a recall was coming. He said he would put me in line and call me back as soon as they could do the work.

Skip ahead to early March and I get a letter from Ford saying to call a dealer about the work. I called the same dealer and they said they had no record of me being in line, so I need to wait until March 29th to get the work done.

Got a call today saying that my appointment on the 29th is cancelled because they ran out of the parts they need.

I ask if I will be first in line when the part (drain tubes) come in. He says no, there is no line as such, you just have to call and ask if they have the parts in stock.

I ask if it will be a same day repair, were I lucky enough to call on a day when they have the parts in. He says, no, you will have to wait a few weeks to get the service done.

I ask how I will be guaranteed to get the work done if I have to wait a few weeks, given that I had to wait a few weeks this time and they ran out of parts. He says "I'm sorry, I don't know why someone added an appointment for you".

So, call up another dealer (the one I bought it from, which is farther away). They said Ford is only allowing so many orders of the parts during a week, and is only shipping the parts ones a month.

The employee says the way their dealership handles it is to attach the part request to the customer account, and "put it in a pile", then call when it is ready.

I ask how long I am looking at. They say several months.

If anyone hears about a Bronco Sport fire in Southern Ohio, just know that I tried my best to avoid it! 😄

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
If anyone hears about a Bronco Sport fire in Southern Ohio, just know that I tried my best to avoid it! 😄
I know you meant this in jest, but this is a reminder to everyone waiting for parts on this recall to keep alert for fuel leaks. I would make a point of conducting a smell test at least once a day under the hood. If you experience an unexplained drop in acceleration, or smell fuel anytime after shutting the engine off I would NOT drive the car until you get the recall work accomplished.

Jdiditz

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Got my letter earlier this month. So I called the dealership. They told me that they sent the letters out pre maturely and to call back. So today I called back and they still don't have the replacement parts to " guess what " call back later. So I got to thinking. Ford says It gave permission to the dealerships to insert drain tube and reprogram the powertrain control module. So I ask what are they actually fixing. Sounds like a band aid. I don't understand why they are not replacing the injectors. Thankfully knock wood, I haven't run into a cracked injector. Although I am only 5200 miles in on my Bronco Sport.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't understand why they are not replacing the injectors.
Because the recall isn't to fix faulty fuel injectors. There's no evidence the fuel injectors Ford used for the 1.5L EcoBoost have a higher production failure rate than any other automotive fuel injectors in use. The recall addresses a problem with management of flammable liquids. All engines may experience a fuel leak under the hood for a variety of different reasons (failed fuel line or fitting, bad fuel pump, etc.). It's incumbent on manufacturers to prevent the buildup of flammable fluids/vapors should a leak occur. Ford failed to address that problem with the area around the fuel injectors on the 1.5L, and some owners with fuel leaks due to cracked fuel injectors lost their vehicles to an under-hood fire.

The drain tube ensures that fuel leaking from an injector has a place to go away from hot engine components, and the software update alerts the driver to a drop in fuel pressure indicative of a leak.

Thankfully knock wood, I haven't run into a cracked injector. Although I am only 5200 miles in on my Bronco Sport.
If Ford--and more telling, the NHTSA--believed a cracked injector were more than a remote possibility it would have issued a stop-drive notice to owners. But a remote possibility doesn't mean NO possibility, so be on the lookout for evidence of fuel leaks in your engine compartment. If you smell fuel stop driving your car until you get it fixed.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Sounds like the parts situation is still all over the place...

Went to the dealer down the road in January when I heard a recall was coming. He said he would put me in line and call me back as soon as they could do the work.

Skip ahead to early March and I get a letter from Ford saying to call a dealer about the work. I called the same dealer and they said they had no record of me being in line, so I need to wait until March 29th to get the work done.

Got a call today saying that my appointment on the 29th is cancelled because they ran out of the parts they need.

I ask if I will be first in line when the part (drain tubes) come in. He says no, there is no line as such, you just have to call and ask if they have the parts in stock.

I ask if it will be a same day repair, were I lucky enough to call on a day when they have the parts in. He says, no, you will have to wait a few weeks to get the service done.

I ask how I will be guaranteed to get the work done if I have to wait a few weeks, given that I had to wait a few weeks this time and they ran out of parts. He says "I'm sorry, I don't know why someone added an appointment for you".

So, call up another dealer (the one I bought it from, which is farther away). They said Ford is only allowing so many orders of the parts during a week, and is only shipping the parts ones a month.

The employee says the way their dealership handles it is to attach the part request to the customer account, and "put it in a pile", then call when it is ready.

I ask how long I am looking at. They say several months.

I'd make sure I park it next to the dealers managers office with a sign that says "I have not had the injector recall performed yet; park next to me at your own risk"

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
In reading the recall notice from Ford (in the first post), it says this about a consumer requesting a rental car:

RENTAL VEHICLES Ford has not issued instructions to stop driving vehicles under this safety recall. However, if a customer contacts your dealership requesting a rental/loaner prior to recall remedy availability, please contact the SSSC for further direction.

Has anyone waiting on the parts requested a rental (dealer paying)? It might put you near the front of the line perhaps.

Last edited:

Jdiditz

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Because the recall isn't to fix faulty fuel injectors. There's no evidence the fuel injectors Ford used for the 1.5L EcoBoost have a higher production failure rate than any other automotive fuel injectors in use. The recall addresses a problem with management of flammable liquids. All engines may experience a fuel leak under the hood for a variety of different reasons (failed fuel line or fitting, bad fuel pump, etc.). It's incumbent on manufacturers to prevent the buildup of flammable fluids/vapors should a leak occur. Ford failed to address that problem with the area around the fuel injectors on the 1.5L, and some owners with fuel leaks due to cracked fuel injectors lost their vehicles to an under-hood fire.

The drain tube ensures that fuel leaking from an injector has a place to go away from hot engine components, and the software update alerts the driver to a drop in fuel pressure indicative of a leak.

If Ford--and more telling, the NHTSA--believed a cracked injector were more than a remote possibility it would have issued a stop-drive notice to owners. But a remote possibility doesn't mean NO possibility, so be on the lookout for evidence of fuel leaks in your engine compartment. If you smell fuel stop driving your car until you get it fixed.
Thanks for the insight Mark. I appreciate it. Still doesn't make a whole lot sense. Since this recall isn't solving the problem. Just feels like a band aid incase an injector does fail. Wonder if they are putting drain tubes on all the newer vehicles w/1.5L.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since this recall isn't solving the problem. Just feels like a band aid incase an injector does fail.
The biggest "problem" with this recall (IMHO) is Ford's decision to publish the fact that some of its vehicles have experienced "cracked fuel injectors" while explaining the purpose of the recall. Everyone is focusing on those words instead of the substance of the recall. The fact is ALL vehicles that use gasoline are at risk for an under-hood fuel leak, and they likely occur at the same rate as the 1.5L engine. The reason you don't hear about them is because they are 1) exceedingly rare, and 2) even more rarely result in a fire. The reason is because when leaks occur the fuel/fumes are routed away from hot engine components. That's the substance of this recall. The design of the 1.5L permits the collection of flammable liquids/fumes near hot engine components. That's it--that's the entire problem. Ignore the part about cracked injectors, that's simply the vector for the fuel leak, which (remember) can happen to any vehicle. The recall addresses what happens IF there is a fuel leak. It's not meant to PREVENT ALL fuel leaks--that' simply not possible. There is no evidence the injectors--or any other of the other fuel system components--are any less reliable than those used on other vehicles.

And yes, Ford is almost certainly reviewing under-hood fuel leak mitigation strategies for the 1.5L engine going forward. Based on my experience with corporate, knee-jerk reactions, Ford is almost certainly reviewing those strategies for ALL of its engines.

Last edited:

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
The biggest "problem" with this recall (IMHO) is Ford's decision to publish the fact that some of its vehicles have experienced "cracked fuel injectors" while explaining the purpose of the recall. Everyone is focusing on those words instead of the substance of the recall. The fact is ALL vehicles that use gasoline are at risk for an under-hood fuel leak, and they likely occur at the same rate as the 1.5L engine. The reason you don't hear about them is because they are 1) exceedingly rare, and 2) even more rarely result in a fire. The reason is because when leaks occur the fuel/fumes are routed away from hot engine components. That's the substance of this recall. The design of the 1.5L permits the collection of flammable liquids/fumes near hot engine components. That's it--that's the entire problem. Ignore the part about cracked injectors, that's simply the vector for the fuel leak, which (remember) can happen to any vehicle. The recall addresses what happens IF there is a fuel leak. It's not meant to PREVENT ALL fuel leaks--that' simply not possible. There is no evidence the injectors--or any other of the other fuel system components--are any less reliable than those used on other vehicles.
Well put Mark.

My old 67 Camaro's carburetor developed a leak (a carburetor? What's that?) at the fuel line connected to the carb. Gas had puddled in the cavities of the intake. I never knew it until I got home from a nice Saturday afternoon cruise. Opened the hood to attach the battery tender, and noticed the fuel. Yikes! Fixed the leak promptly.

Geez, why didn't GM issue a recall?

OP
OP
TakeTheBlack

TakeTheBlack

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2020 Mazda CX-9
In reading the recall notice from Ford (in the first post), it says this about a consumer requesting a rental car:

RENTAL VEHICLES Ford has not issued instructions to stop driving vehicles under this safety recall. However, if a customer contacts your dealership requesting a rental/loaner prior to recall remedy availability, please contact the SSSC for further direction.

Has anyone waiting on the parts requested a rental (dealer paying)? It might put you near the front of the line perhaps.
No. But a few years ago I asked my service manager about the replacement Tanaka air bag (infamous recall) was in.

Service dude: “Probably 90 days.. we will call you when it’s in”.

me: “ I am taking my kids camping this weekend. I am concerned …”

Service dude: “ Go see Tammy over there”.

Tammy: “Take this rental Minivan at no charge until we get your airbag”

magically.. my 90 day wait turned into a 5 day wait…

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
So, if I understand this issue correctly, it's not the fuel injector that's the real problem, but the design of the motor? Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, if I understand this issue correctly, it's not the fuel injector that's the real problem, but the design of the motor? Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
It's more of an oversight. Ford failed to ensure fuel that might leak from an injector has a path out of the engine compartment away from hot components. The recall addresses that oversight.
Sponsored