Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
  • Banned
Seeing if anyone has had any similar issues. 22 badlands with 7k. On dry roads the rear ended feels bouncy over bumps which I just chalked it up to the vehicle since it’s always been that and same with the torque steer feeling when trying to pass people. It’s been aligned twice.
Now we just got some snow and had to do some driving. I was unable to go over 20mph without the rear end stepping out. The rear end feels super light. Honestly feels like a rwd vehicle on bad tires. The whole drive I was fighting this thing. I hit 25mph and lost the rear end and spun out. There was a dusting of snow. I was getting passed by people doing the actual speed limit of 65 mph without issue. I hit a grated area and feels like the brakes are dragging. Feels like the rear wheels are going slower than the fronts. I tried snow mode, regular, locking ctr diff, etc and same issue. Tires are new. I tried stopping on covered areas and tires gripped and came to stop without issue. I also went into deeper stuff to see if it was the tires. They grip great. Air pressures were good. Hell I pulled out of a foot of snow this morning without any slip. But as soon as I hit the road the rear end gets super squirrely. Anyone have anything similar. Is to the point I won’t drive it. It’s that unsafe. Went to dealer. Said they can’t see me until end of January. I can’t go until end of this week. Made appt with Indy shop for this week.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I tried to get my Badlands to slide every time it snowed last winter. The only way I was able to make it happen was to select SPORT mode and turn off traction control. The car absolutely REFUSED to slide in NORMAL mode. I've had the same experience in the wife's Escape. Ford's AdvanceTrac system is meant to prevent wheel spin and can selectively apply the brakes at all four wheels to prevent spinning out. As far as I can tell, it works superlatively in our cars.

Have you tried setting your display to Intelligent 4wd? It shows which wheels are getting power when, and may give a clue to what's going on. In addition, keep an eye on the stability/traction control icon (looks like the pic below). The icon flash on when the system activates. Honestly, it sounds like traction and stability control are turned off.

Ford Bronco Sport Rear sliding u1p5q8i_car_120x90_01_February_22

OP
OP
RiotfunK

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
  • Banned
Traction control are on. Even turned off there’s no difference. No stability light until vehicle is damn near sideways. It’s driving straight that’s my issue. The rear feels jouncy like bump hop on solid axle rear. Turning into traffic and accelerating makes a bind/clunk like feeling In the rear like the locker is on. I’m driving in normal mode. straight line or slight turns it feels like you’re on a slick trail and there’s already grooves that the vehicle gets pulled into. That’s what just the rear end feels like. That it’s tracking in a different direction and pulling against the front. I’ve never had a more unsettling feeling driving a vehicle before. Tires are wearing evenly.
i know what the dash lights mean and what they do. Same with the awd settings. That isn’t my issue

Last edited:

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Traction control are on. Even turned off there’s no difference. No stability light until vehicle is damn near sideways. It’s driving straight that’s my issue. The rear feels jouncy like bump hop on solid axle rear. Turning into traffic and accelerating makes a bind/clunk like feeling In the rear like the locker is on. I’m driving in normal mode. straight line or slight turns it feels like you’re on a slick trail and there’s already grooves that the vehicle gets pulled into. That’s what just the rear end feels like. That it’s tracking in a different direction and pulling against the front. I’ve never had a more unsettling feeling driving a vehicle before. Tires are wearing evenly.
i know what the dash lights mean and what they do. Same with the awd settings. That isn’t my issue
Binding/clunking are not normal, this sounds like the rear axle is locked (so far as that goes in the BSBL) -- which is of course not meant for any fairly clean, hard, level surface. But, any other fault that would cause a difference in wheel speed could cause the same.

IdahoDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 sport
I had a pickup years ago that acted very similar. Ended up having a broken rear sway bar. Perhaps something came loose back there in yours.

As a disclaimer, I don't have my Bronco yet so I have no clue what the ass end even has back there in them so I may be completely off base here.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Seeing if anyone has had any similar issues. 22 badlands with 7k. On dry roads the rear ended feels bouncy over bumps which I just chalked it up to the vehicle since it’s always been that and same with the torque steer feeling when trying to pass people. It’s been aligned twice.
Now we just got some snow and had to do some driving. I was unable to go over 20mph without the rear end stepping out. The rear end feels super light. Honestly feels like a rwd vehicle on bad tires. The whole drive I was fighting this thing. I hit 25mph and lost the rear end and spun out. There was a dusting of snow. I was getting passed by people doing the actual speed limit of 65 mph without issue. I hit a grated area and feels like the brakes are dragging. Feels like the rear wheels are going slower than the fronts. I tried snow mode, regular, locking ctr diff, etc and same issue. Tires are new. I tried stopping on covered areas and tires gripped and came to stop without issue. I also went into deeper stuff to see if it was the tires. They grip great. Air pressures were good. Hell I pulled out of a foot of snow this morning without any slip. But as soon as I hit the road the rear end gets super squirrely. Anyone have anything similar. Is to the point I won’t drive it. It’s that unsafe. Went to dealer. Said they can’t see me until end of January. I can’t go until end of this week. Made appt with Indy shop for this week.
Hey there! I can look into your Bronco’s concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

seoden88

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport Badlands
What tire pressure u running?

OP
OP
RiotfunK

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
  • Banned
32lbs in wildpeaks. It isn’t a tire pressure issue

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Traction control are on. Even turned off there’s no difference. No stability light until vehicle is damn near sideways.
If that's the case then there is something wrong with your stability/traction control systems. There is a HUGE difference in the way my Badlands drives in slippery conditions with these systems turned off.

The rear feels jouncy like bump hop on solid axle rear. Turning into traffic and accelerating makes a bind/clunk like feeling In the rear like the locker is on.
When driving in NORMAL mode the car is essentially front-wheel drive. It's only when the front wheels lose traction that the power transfer unit will engage to send power to the rear wheels. Perhaps the clunking noise you're hearing is the PTU engaging.

I don't believe anyone said you didn't. I simply suggested you monitor the indications for a clue as to what's going on. Have you set your display to the Intelligent 4WD page? If so, what are you seeing when you experience these issues? I sounds to me like your traction and stability control systems are not functioning correctly. If you are in NORMAL mode the system should not send power to the rear wheels unless the front wheels slip. Monitoring the display might be a way to determine if this is the case.

OP
OP
RiotfunK

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
Ok so got it fixed. Hopefully for good. I noticed after I got it back two weeks ago from the dealer who had to have a body shop take it to replace the roof panel. I noticed the driving was off since I picked it up. Felt like more rolling resistance. Thought maybe since I’ve been driving an escape for a week and a half it was that. Plus haven’t been driving that much 2-4 miles a day and usually under 30mph so was hard to really pinpoint what was going on.
Then come snow the other day and this thing was dreadful. Even spun me off the road. Ford refused to check it. Even though driving through their snow covered lot you could see the rear end step out. End of January is earliest we’ll even look at it. Was undrivable on any covered area.
Went to local Indy shop and had it aligned and had all the hardware checked, shocks, tires, bearings, bushings etc. Come to find out it was toed in a few degrees. So apparently someone whacked something with my vehicle and did and said nothing and just returned it to me. I always go over my vehicle when I get it back. I must’ve missed that since I was pissed they marked up the white headliner, a pillars inside and out and my gd front seats after they had it. I know the alignment was in spec when I dropped it off since was realigned few weeks before they had it and was spot on.
Sponsored