Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Hello,

I know this has been discussed in other posts, but I am still having trouble understanding how the Rear Seat reminder is supposed to work. First and foremost, I know I can shut if off, but that is not the point of this post. The question is how does this work?

I recently had 2 adult passengers in the rear seat who got out while the vehicle was still running (in park). I did get the warning, which I expected. The question is, the next time I used the vehicle I got the reminder 3 times after I shut the vehicle off when there was nobody in the back seat.

How many time is this supposed to go off before it clears? I am not understanding how this is supposed to work.

Can someone please provide some insight? I just want to know how this system works.

Thank You.
Sponsored

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Pretty sure if it’s turned on it will prompt you each time the vehicle is turned off regardless of there being passengers or not.

Reactions: Jrl

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
Hello,

I know this has been discussed in other posts, but I am still having trouble understanding how the Rear Seat reminder is supposed to work. First and foremost, I know I can shut if off, but that is not the point of this post. The question is how does this work?

I recently had 2 adult passengers in the rear seat who got out while the vehicle was still running (in park). I did get the warning, which I expected. The question is, the next time I used the vehicle I got the reminder 3 times after I shut the vehicle off when there was nobody in the back seat.

How many time is this supposed to go off before it clears? I am not understanding how this is supposed to work.

Can someone please provide some insight? I just want to know how this system works.

Thank You.
I believe that Justin is correct in saying that it will remind you regardless of who or what is in the back seat when turned on.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I'm not a Ford tech, but I am going to risk assuming it works the same way that front passenger airbag switching works.

Inside the seat bottom cushion there is an air balloon. Sort of like a hot water therapy bottle connected to an electrical switch that is pneumatically activated. When a butt gets in the seat, the air pressure closes the switch and tells the system that something is in the seat. It does take a certain amount of weight to activate so that's why not everything or anything will activate it.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I think it's activated by the opening of the door. I've tossed my coat in the back and it reminds me to take it with me (maybe it thinks it's a child!). Just went out and checked by only opening the rear drivers side door. Didn't sit or thrown anything in it. Got in the front, started the motor then shut it off. Warning came up to ask to check the back seat.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
From the Owner's Manual:

The system monitors when rear doors have been opened and closed to indicate the potential presence of an occupant in the rear seat.

A message displays in the information and entertainment display screen and an audible warning sounds when you switch the ignition off after any of the following conditions have been met:
  • A rear door is opened or closed while the ignition is on.
  • You switch the ignition on within 15 minutes of a rear door opening and closing.
  • You switch the ignition on within 15 minutes of the alert having displayed or sounded.

OP
OP

dparleng

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Thank You all. The reason that I asked is because when mine went off, it didn't seem to satisfy any of the conditions in the owners manual.

The people in the back had gotten out the night before, and then I drive somewhere the next day (alone) and shut the car off and I get the warning.

Not making much sense to me. The rear doors were not opened at all.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
mine suddenly started activating as well. I had a brief moment to turn it off, can't find the tab anymore, just have to look at the manual and figure it out. It's mildly annoying.

aamyotte

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS Outer Banks Area 51
Thank You all. The reason that I asked is because when mine went off, it didn't seem to satisfy any of the conditions in the owners manual.

The people in the back had gotten out the night before, and then I drive somewhere the next day (alone) and shut the car off and I get the warning.

Not making much sense to me. The rear doors were not opened at all.
Do you have seat covers/blanket that may weigh down the seat cushions and possibly make the system think someone is there?

Sobieski

Big Bend
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport - AKA Mulder
I believe you can select on the screen to turn off the function BUT that it will again turn on after 90 days and you will need to turn off the function again. Maybe this coincided with your passengers in the back seat.

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
Mine randomly turned itself on when I put a baby seat in the back seat. Could've been a weight thing, but not sure. But I do know for a fact, that I did turn it off when I first got my BS a little over 30 days ago.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
It comes back by itself. They really want you to use it.

1.Press Settings on the touchscreen.
2.Press Vehicle.
3.Switch Rear Occupant Alert on or off.
Note: The default setting is on.
Note: When you switch the system off, a
message appears every six months as a
reminder
that the system is off. You can
switch the system back on or leave it off.
Note: Performing a master reset causes the
system to switch on again.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Yep the settings did the trick. Mine must have hit the time limit reset. Kind of annoying. Sorry even when my twins were little....I never forgot they were in the back seats and they were seriously so quiet in the car

Floordog2

Big Bend
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Edge, 2022 Bronco Sport
Reminder so you check back seat that you do not forget the little person or your dog in a hot car?

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
I think it's activated by the opening of the door. I've tossed my coat in the back and it reminds me to take it with me (maybe it thinks it's a child!). Just went out and checked by only opening the rear drivers side door. Didn't sit or thrown anything in it. Got in the front, started the motor then shout it off. Warning came up to ask to check the back seat.
You are correct.
Sponsored