DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
Wow, I have 1800 miles on my OB, and my dash mileage has never gotten over 21.9. Briefly went to 22, but went back.
I did put 235/65/ 18’s on it and they are slightly bigger, but wouldn’t think it would make that big of a differenc.
Ford Bronco Sport Real-world MPG Test Badlands w/wheel upgrade 1615563131950

Your tires are about 5% larger, so that's a 5% decrease in mpg with all other factors remaining the same . I don't know the weight, but heavier tires = worse mileage. Bigger contact patch worse mileage. Figuring a square contact patch( which is doubtful ) you went from 79.21 square inches to 86.49 square inches...that's a 10% decrease in mpg. Lower inflation psi poorer mileage, bigger contact patch. Higher inflation, smaller contact patch, better mileage. Adding all that up and you decreased your mileage by 15% on the dash computer without factoring in weight. Getting the odometer adjust to 672 revs per mile should bring the computer mileage back up 5%, but the rest you have to blame on the tires. The good news is, you should have better braking, although you will wear the pads out faster. You should also have better off road performance.
Sponsored

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
My first tank on OuterBanks shows just now 25mpg on screen and I have about 50 miles left in tank. This sucks my 550HP Ford Focus RS lifted 3" with A/T tires got 25MPG all day long without even trying to get good mileage in normal mode. Hoping a tune will improve this or I am swapping an RS drivetrain in.
You‘re comparing completely different vehicles. Aerodynamics play a huge factor in MPG.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
That is way over it’s mpg rating....wow
MPG rating tests are conducted in a very specific way under specific conditions. It’s easy to exceed the rated MPG for any car. It’s also easy to do worse.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Wow, I have 1800 miles on my OB, and my dash mileage has never gotten over 21.9. Briefly went to 22, but went back.
I did put 235/65/ 18’s on it and they are slightly bigger, but wouldn’t think it would make that big of a differenc.
You just changed your final drive ratio. In city traffic this will eat far more fuel, especially with the Dragon 1.5L.
I will not change my tire revolutions per mile for just that reason.
Look at it this way...
The only way you can comp the taller tire is to keep it in sport mode...

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My first tank on OuterBanks shows just now 25mpg on screen and I have about 50 miles left in tank. This sucks my 550HP Ford Focus RS lifted 3" with A/T tires got 25MPG all day long without even trying to get good mileage in normal mode. Hoping a tune will improve this or I am swapping an RS drivetrain in.
Um , can you say areodynamics ?
I'd class the Bronco Sport as a brick and the Focus as a wedge with tiny little light weight tires and wheels.
I actually needed the BS capabilities and would have purchased with rated mpgs as low as 18/20/24.
"550HP Ford Focus RS lifted 3" with A/T tires got 25MPG " It's getting deep around here, I need my waders. LoL

roaddiet

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RAV4 Hybrid
My 2500 mile average is also 26 mpg for my BL with the optional tires and it's gradually been improving. Got a couple recent 30 mpg trips with 27-28 common now. Mostly (90-95%) normal mode with a little eco near the end of my trips if I'm close to 30 mpg. I do manual calculations for each tank. My trip computer is usually with 0.2 mpg either way. Typical ecoboost. If you drive it hard, it gets a lot worse. I've just been impressed I can go on off road trips and come back averaging 26, 27, 28 even up to 30! Love this machine!!
This is good news and similar to my 2017 Escape 2.0 awd. ?

Stitch50

Base
First Name
AK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport / Ram 1500
You just changed your final drive ratio. In city traffic this will eat far more fuel, especially with the Dragon 1.5L.
Look at it this way...

I have the 245/65/17’s, and I’ll only drive the 1.5 in sport mode! Only way it’s bearable on the highway, which is 90% of my driving. I’m getting 22mpg. I personally don’t care about mpg’s. Before the tire swap and the RC lift I was only getting 25-26. As is the 22 is far better than any other vehicle I’ve owned. ?

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the 245/65/17’s, and I’ll only drive the 1.5 in sport mode! Only way it’s bearable on the highway, which is 90% of my driving. I’m getting 22mpg. I personally don’t care about mpg’s. Before the tire swap and the RC lift I was only getting 25-26. As is the 22 is far better than any other vehicle I’ve owned. ?
Imagine an electronic re-tune where the normal dive mode uses the sport parameters, and sport mode is reset to be above the current sport mode.
The shift points up closer to max power.
Like, Sport mode 1 & 2
Cool ya think, ?

Stitch50

Base
First Name
AK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport / Ram 1500
Imagine an electronic re-tune where the normal dive mode uses the sport parameters, and sport mode is reset to be above the current sport mode.
Like, Sport mode 1 & 2
Cool ya think, ?
Like, Sport mode 1 & 2
Cool ya think, ?
I think that would be sick! I would rather have just the sport tunes instead of all the goat modes. They should offer a performance package with a few different sport modes for sure, especially where they are only giving us a 1.5 to work with. Lol

Bobby L

Outer Banks
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, Audi RS5, Ford F-250
Look at it this way...
Yea, I hear ya. I have never driven it in any other mode than sport. ?
I’m totally fine the the mileage. This little booger does everything I want/need it to. ?

Jeff.H

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco sport badlands
I have a badlands with the 235 tire and live in California with a lot of pretty steep hills and average 26mpg in eco mode

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a badlands with the 235 tire and live in California with a lot of pretty steep hills and average 26mpg in eco mode
My Yoko Geolander in 235 vs my stock continental's in 225 have only 44 revolutions per mile difference. But not the way you'd think.
Slightly wider but not taller. I think close enough to some of the other stock 225 65r 17 tires to not significantly change my roll out ratio.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Working through the fuels.
On regular up to 2000 miles I averaged 26.1 mpg in my mixed driving,
Now on 89 octane mid grade for only three tanks with my best effort to drive the same as on regular.
My MPG average is 26.1 so far.

No noticeable performance gains as far as I can tell.

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands - Area 51 "Bad Alien"
That seems high to me, though possible as there are a lot of variables to consider; driving style, temp., tires, terrain, etc.. I have about 2000 miles on my OB now. Varying results mainly due to varying temps here in WI. @ 5F was getting about 25 mpg. @ 30F was 27 mpg.

Couple of caveats:
1. This is not the dash, but calculated by miles and gallons added. Dash consistently showed 2-3 mpg more.
2. Driving was a 50/50 mix between highway and city. Mostly flatter WI roadways.

I plan on tracking more often next few months. Curious how much better it gets as warmer temps (hopefully) reach Wisconsin. Coming from a FWD CX-5 which got 29-32 mpg, with everything extra I now have, still happy.
I am getting 31.6MPG currently on my OB (1.5L) which is above sticker also. This is the FIRST Ford I have ever owned that under estimated the MPG (at least on the 1.5L). I did the cluster read AND old fashion pen/paper way and it was within 0.2MPG so I stopped doing the paper way.

My experience in the vehicles I have owned (3 x Tacoma's, 2 x F150 2.7, Escape, Focus, Impreza, Legacy, Forrester, Chevy 1500, and Colorado) in the last decade is that the dash reading has always been within 0.5MPG with my driving (70% Hwy, 30% City with large hills).

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Now check it the old fashion way, over several tanks, miles divided by gallons to the tenth will show you about 24 mpg,,, at's what I keep getting :,P
But my 26.1 all around makes me feel better when I look at the display so I go with that !
The way my dad showed me ?
24.6 mpg on the regular; 80 on the highway and only premium in the tank. I could get better but I didn't buy this vehicle for mpgs ?‍♂
Sponsored