Q: How does hill descent work in BS?

endrMinr

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport
I was running around Silverton with friends who all have modded Jeeps, so most of the time I was riding with them. I did run the BS on a few things, including Kendall Mtn which isn't too technical, but fairly steep and rocky so max 3mph sometimes.
Coming down, I used Trail Control for a bit, and there was a fairly loud buzzing/thumping, which the manual said was the anti-lock pump. Does the hill descent just mean it uses the anti-lock braking on the way down? Is that to prevent overheating, because it's pulsing the brakes instead of just holding them? Does that make a difference? When we got to the bottom, we could definitely feel the heat from the brakes but you couldnt really smell them, and I didnt get any loss in braking.
Sponsored

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Was reading through some forums and noticed this post.
Next time I'm on a down slope I'll check it as I don't remember hearing anything crazy last time I've use it.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Pointed up and pointed down it will hold you there for a bit.
It keeps you from rolling during the time your foot moves from the brake pedal to the gas pedal.

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
No, that's the other button. One in question is for constant speed without using gas pedal.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Are you talking about trail control?

Jess1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Based on the hardware, your understanding sounds correct. ABS pumps are just that - pulsating fluid, engaging and disengaging far quicker than any human foot could...
Combine that with the trick rear assembly (same as a cherokee trailhawk), and you've got a darn good system...

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Yes, according to the good folks at Ford's Off-Rodeo. We used trail control going both up and downhill. We were warned about the anti-lock brake cycling when going downhill. It's perfectly normal. As you note, a long descent using brakes will, of course, add heat, so it's good you are cognizant.

Feint

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Heat is normal. You're converting potential energy into thermal energy. If the brakes weren't heating up, you wouldn't be able to stop your descent.
Sponsored