TexasJHerrera

Big Bend
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
There isn't a simple answer to this. The video leads one to believe that changing your oil more frequently can negate the need for turbocharger maintenance, but offered little evidence to support the implication.

It's not really known from this video if there might be some other issue with this engine leading to the clogged filters. The presenter noted that the turbocharger had been changed at some time in the past and the original filters left in place. I would be very surprised if replacing the filters wasn't part of the procedure for replacing a turbocharger. In other words, this turbo failure could very well have been the result of a maintenance error--i.e. not replacing the filter when replacing the turbo--rather than longer oil change interval.
Thanks for the response. I’ll have to ask my local Ford service advisor about this next time I’m in for an oil change. Which they recommend at every 7k miles with a synthetic blend.
Sponsored

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
In the days of yor, dyno oil (non synthetic) was good for 3K intervals. With synthetics today, semi synthetic (blends) go 5K, and full synthetics to 7K. Add a turbo, or severe conditions such as towing or dusty areas/off roading, and these standards get tossed to a lesser period.

Now add in the oil filter. Most are good quality, including the Motorcraft. I'd rate it at a 7K interval.

My BS is not put away wet so to speak, so I'll do the semi synthetic at 5K intervals.

Don't need stories from youtube vids to convince me otherwise. I have a 2007 Ford F150 with over 180K miles. Still running strong. I have had other Ford's, chevy's and whatever in the same maintenance intervals do just fine.

GoHack

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport, '20 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
Personal Suggestions

1. Go w/a good quality, 100% Synthetic Oil. Synthetic Oil can handle the hotter temperatures, as well as the higher RPMs of the Turbo, which run at several hundreds of thousands of RPMs. It also has a lower pour point when it comes to low winter temperatures.
2. Use a good quality oil filter, like NAPA Platinum's, or the very least, the OEM's. Stay away from cheap oil filters like Fram. The NAPA Platinum's are designed for use w/synthetic oil, filtering at a lower micron size.
3. Change your oil every 5000 miles, or sooner, depending on the local conditions you drive, like lots of dust.
4. Don't forget your Air Filter as well.
5. Avoid doing shorties around town. The engine never gets up to temperature, allowing for moisture to collect, which creates acids in the oil, as well as sludge. Take her out on the highway at least once a month and open her up and get her up to temperature in order to get the moisture out of there.
Sponsored