Price increase coming for some models on Feb 15 -- Bronco Sport apparently NOT affected (this time)

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I have an internal memo from Ford to "All Dealers" announcing a price increase on 2/15. Vehicles listed are:

2022-models:
Mustang
Escape
Edge
Explorer
F150
Super Duty

If you know anyone interested in one of those vehicles you might give them a heads-up.

The new prices are not listed.

The memo does mention automatic price protection:

"2022 model units invoiced prior to February 15, 2022 will not be re-invoiced."

That's good to know. I was told that I would have to pay any MSRP increases that might occur between our order date and delivery. Was anyone else told that?
Sponsored

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
That's good to know. I was told that I would have to pay any MSRP increases that might occur between our order date and delivery. Was anyone else told that?
I was told that but I also don't know what constitutes an invoice in the context of a Ford vehicle order when, e.g., a VIN or even build date isn't assigned yet.

OP
OP
sajohnson

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was told that but I also don't know what constitutes an invoice in the context of a Ford vehicle order when, e.g., a VIN or even build date isn't assigned yet.
As Zach posted in the Granger Ford thread, it's possible that the issue of MSRP increases between ordering and delivery never/rarely came up under normal circumstances (pre-COVID) and therefore salespeople are not aware of Ford's automatic price protection.

Good point about the lack of a VIN and/or order date possibly playing a part. As a customer, I would expect that once we put down a $500 deposit and were given an "Order Summary" listing the specific vehicle with all options, prices, and a bottom line cost -- that would be the final price.

Can you imagine having an offer accepted for a house and then a couple months later at settlement being told that local real estate values have shot up and therefore the owners want 10% more? I realize cars do not = houses, but I cannot think of an industry where the final price is a surprise, only to be disclosed weeks or months after ordering.

In any case, I hope the deposit makes the Order Summary bottom line a firm price. If not, if there is some other date used -- like hen a VIN is assigned -- it should not make a difference in most cases (it would not in ours).

The price protection section of the memo does refer to "orders":

"Automatic price protection will be provided on:
ā€¢ Firm 2022-model fleet, retail, and demonstrator orders signed and dated on or before February
14, 2022, and received by Ford Motor Company on or before February 18, 2022."

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I was initially told that by my salesman but when we went to finance I pushed them on the price at time of order as well as available financing and incentives. The GM verified my order date against pricing, financing and incentives and that was what I got. Saved almost a grand on the financing.

OP
OP
sajohnson

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was initially told that by my salesman but when we went to finance I pushed them on the price at time of order as well as available financing and incentives. The GM verified my order date against pricing, financing and incentives and that was what I got. Saved almost a grand on the financing.
Congrats on the finance savings!

I'm paying cash (unless they offer some crazy low rate), so I didn't talk to any finance people, but in hindsight I should have at least gotten a signed Order Summary. From what I can tell, that might not be binding, but it certainly can't hurt. I've always bought off the lot -- with the exception of my WRX, purchased 21 years ago from the same dealer we ordered the Badlands from (they're Ford/Subaru). So to be honest, I was not thinking about MSRP increases and ADM surprises.

Our Order Summary says "This is not an invoice" (or similar). So it may not have mattered if even the dealership principal had signed it -- they could still try to extort us for more money (last minute ADM). I doubt that will happen, but it would be nice to have a solid guaranteed price.

You may know this, but for anyone who has not taken delivery -- the buyer is supposed to have the choice of using any rebates/incentives/special financing that were available at the time of the order OR at the time of delivery -- whichever is preferable. There is a thread here about a $1,000 cash back offer through early April that spells it out.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Over this past year Iā€™ve read much about ordering a vehicle in this forum.
Nope, Nada, Never would I special order. Iā€™m cemented in the ā€˜off the lotā€™ camp.
I will list the options my Base model does not have that I would have enjoyedā€¦
1: Back of the driver seat Zipper pouch and Molly, did I speel that correctly? Mollie ?.
2: The under the back seat storage box, where I could get the lock box thing and secure my firearm when I go into a courthouse or some such restricted place.
3: I bought the rear deck rubberized protector but would like to have had the factory installed rubber covers on the back seat backs.
4: Tow package.and a pair of front recovery Clevises mounted, the hitch would be all Iā€™d need out backā€¦.
Thatā€™s it.
Those are truly all Iā€™d want.
Will I ever add any of those four that can be added?? Nope, Well maybe #4.
Still happy with my base and still would not be willing to pay the package premium to get all that at time of purchase.
At almost 16k miles and still loving this SUV. It did great this winter.

Last edited:

kino

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS; '18 GC Trailhawk V8 ; ā€˜22 Explr ST ordered

jsus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmm
A vehicle is generally invoiced at the time that it is scheduled for production, where a VIN and window sticker are generated.

The invoice and window sticker are generated under the pricing in effect at that time.

For eligible orders placed prior to the date of the price change (e.g. retail orders, meaning one your dealer ordered for you, with "special order" on the window sticker), Ford is offering price protection. That means that the actual invoice pricing and MSRP are adjusted down to those in effect when you ordered. It's supposed to be automatic, but the dealer works with Ford to ensure it pays the original price.

The important thing for you, the customer, is to have a firm price in writing from the dealer. If the dealer put in writing that they would sell you the car at a certain MSRP, or say 6% under invoice from Granger with a fixed $ amount, or even AZ-Plan for employee pricing, that's ultimately the thing that should matter to you as a customer.

Basically, unless you don't have a price in writing from your dealer, if you've already placed an order, your price is set. The dealer invoice and window sticker will show the higher price, but that's not what you'll pay.*

* Making changes to the order after the price increases, may bump the whole order to the higher price level. I'm unsure of this so tread carefully. Make any changes you'd like before Monday to play it safe.

OP
OP
sajohnson

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
This why the dealers charging and getting ADM matters to all of us

Ford sees the dealers getting thousands over MSRP then realizes that they can simply raise MSRP and invoice for more profit
Sponsored