Premium package on the Badlands worth the price of admission?

NDB2Guy

Badlands
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 BII, 89 BII, 89 Ranger, 14 F150, 22 BSport
Badlands Poverty Package for the win. The only thing I wish I could get out of it was the heated wheel (dear Ford, please package heated seats, wheel and block heater as a cold weather package). For leather seats, it's cheaper for me to spec out some Katzkin leathers and I'll end up with a much nicer product than Ford has used in recent years.
Sponsored

kanine

Badlands
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2014 Mustang GT
The 2022 have more options to customize, but I have a 2021, so I'm definitely happy I got the premium package. I wanted heated seats, steering wheel, and sunroof. I also did not want a cheap feeling steering wheel.

OP
OP
Desert Bronco.

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
Badlands Poverty Package for the win. The only thing I wish I could get out of it was the heated wheel (dear Ford, please package heated seats, wheel and block heater as a cold weather package). For leather seats, it's cheaper for me to spec out some Katzkin leathers and I'll end up with a much nicer product than Ford has used in recent years.
I thought of doing this but then I donā€™t get the extra stuff in the premium package?

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
There has to be nothing worse than cheap feeling steering wheels. It sure makes sense that they updated that so now every 2022 BL has the leather one.
That's a great change, and I might not have ordered the Premium Package had I known that while signing the papers!

Reactions: MJE

olly12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Looks like it's $462 at my local dealer to buy an OEM leather wrapped (non-heated) steering wheel. In the case I wanted to update my badlands with plastic wheel in the future. 1 hour labor guess so call it 700 all-in with tax installed.

Ford Bronco Sport Premium package on the Badlands worth the price of admission? 1652483398646

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
There has to be nothing worse than cheap feeling steering wheels. It sure makes sense that they updated that so now every 2022 BL has the leather one.
This'll probably be controversial, but the Sport "leather wrapped wheel" isn't anything to write home about. It's nicer than the "stock" urethane wheel but the leather almost feels like vinyl or plastic. It's anything but supple. I spent a long time comparing mine to pics online to see if somehow I got the wrong wheel. But it is what it is. I keep hoping that it will break in and soften as it gets used.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
This'll probably be controversial, but the Sport "leather wrapped wheel" isn't anything to write home about. It's nicer than the "stock" urethane wheel but the leather almost feels like vinyl or plastic. It's anything but supple. I spent a long time comparing mine to pics online to see if somehow I got the wrong wheel. But it is what it is. I keep hoping that it will break in and soften as it gets used.
From what I recall on my test drive, itā€™s the same wheel as the explorer so I hear ya, I wonā€™t argue itā€™s not the grandest thing in the world. Nicer than urethane yes, shouldā€™ve been standard in year 1 yes, but I can sure understand if youā€™d hoped for more.

Jenma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 15 Mustang GT 50 yr, 22 Corsair
I have the 21 BL+BL and the one thing I really want is a memory driver seat. Yes, the PP option is worth the money.

kanine

Badlands
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2014 Mustang GT
Yes, it's not the best leather wheel, but the cheap plastic one is not what I want to feel while I'm driving and enjoying the car.

max the dog

Badlands
First Name
warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L8000, Excursion, F350, escape, BL, Hummer
I already have a 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands with cloth seats. On the last day before the price jump I ordered a new Bronco Sport with the premium package in Area 51 and the same options. How many owners regret not spending the extra $2,200 to get the premium package? Thoughts on selling the BS Badlands to get leather and premium package.

{ Iā€™m still undecided and would mostly get the premium package for the leather seats. The bang and Olufsen speakers, UGDO, rear parking sensors, leather wrapped heated steering wheel, etc are nice. I would upgrade to get the leather seats and to keep the resale value. At some point I was planning on getting a dog šŸ• in the future and he could hang out in the back seat or rear of the car? How many owners regret not spending the extra $2,200 to get the premium package. How many people regret not getting the Premium package in their badlands trim. If the price for the premium package was around $1,500 then I would have gone for it. Right now with my car payment and insurance Iā€™m close to $1,000 a month. In Russia and other parts of the world thatā€™s double the income of most people}
I ordered my 21 Badlands in Alto blue and a hitch. My old GPS clips into the glasses holder in the overhead. I hate leather. The little pup has everything I need. Only wish it had a CD player as I don't own a magic phone.

LindaR62

Badlands
First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I think itā€™s a personal choice for everyone. Seeing as I plan on having mine for a very long time, I did the premium package, with every accessory I could get on it. Iā€™m looking forward to having all the extra comforts. My build date is beginning of June and already have my VIN. šŸ˜Š

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I already have a 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands with cloth seats. On the last day before the price jump I ordered a new Bronco Sport with the premium package in Area 51 and the same options. How many owners regret not spending the extra $2,200 to get the premium package? Thoughts on selling the BS Badlands to get leather and premium package.

{ Iā€™m still undecided and would mostly get the premium package for the leather seats. The bang and Olufsen speakers, UGDO, rear parking sensors, leather wrapped heated steering wheel, etc are nice. I would upgrade to get the leather seats and to keep the resale value. At some point I was planning on getting a dog šŸ• in the future and he could hang out in the back seat or rear of the car? How many owners regret not spending the extra $2,200 to get the premium package. How many people regret not getting the Premium package in their badlands trim. If the price for the premium package was around $1,500 then I would have gone for it. Right now with my car payment and insurance Iā€™m close to $1,000 a month. In Russia and other parts of the world thatā€™s double the income of most people}
As others have said, it comes down to personal choice and affordability -- but FWIW we intentionally did not order the premium package or any extras except the tow package and the roof crossbars.

There was very little in the premium package that we were interested in, and nothing we needed. We both like leather, but it has pros and cons. I used to be seriously into audio, but not so much anymore. Also, I'm no longer commuting 75-100+ miles every day. Without going through each feature I'll just say that most of them did not seem very useful (again, to us).

Side note: Some people justify the additional cost by saying "it's not much over [X] number of years." Of course a person can tell themselves that about almost anything. It's often technically true, but in this case, it's still $2,200 (unless the price has increased again). $2,200 earning 10% for 30 years becomes over $38,000. At 12% (which may be optimistic) it's almost $66,000.

Bottom line though, like any other potential purchase, it comes down to whether the buyer will get enough enjoyment/use out of it. I can definitely see how plenty of people might decide the premium package is worth $2,200.

Val

Badlands
First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS

I just wanted a better sound. But there was no option for the radio upgrade. So i went the whole nine yards. And honestly, I think Olufsen could've done a better job. In my opinion backing sensors are always better than a backup camera. Now I've got both, but still turn around while backing up. The remote start helped as it was set with accordance to the weather. And heated steering wheel felt nice during our Pocono Mountains winter. But again, it depends on individual and what one desire.
For once, they made a car that just great the way it is.

Last edited:

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I just wanted a better sound. But there was no option for the radio upgrade. So i went the whole nine yards. And honestly, I think Olufsen could've done a better job. Although heated steering wheel felt nice during our Pocono Mountains winter.
Nothing wrong with that.

I don't care for the word "audiophile" because -- in my mind at least -- it implies "magic" patch cords and speaker wire that cost hundreds of dollars a foot, discrete components that are thousands each, and esoteric speakers that go for tens of thousands -- so I'll just say I was an 'audio enthusiast' for decades.

I still am, but I've stopped trying to keep up with the latest equipment. Back in the day, I might have purchased the premium package primarily for the B&O system. I say 'might have' because I know nothing about it. We knew we were not going to get the premium package so I didn't bother reading any reviews of the B&O. There's a chance would have stuck with the stock system and upgraded it -- especially if the B&O was about the only reason to get the premium package -- $2,200 will buy some great gear.

I used to spend about 1-1/2 to 2 hours (r/t) commuting 5 days a week. Now I rarely drive. My wife doesn't drive much either. So that was another factor -- not much point in paying for a nice sound system if you aren't in the car much.

Speaking for my wife and I only, there just wasn't much in the premium package that we wanted -- not $2,100 worth (at the time). For other people it makes total sense.

Side note: I've still got a nice system here at home -- including a large cylindrical SVS sub powered by a Mackie amp -- but I've found that any music with lyrics distracts me and makes it hard to read and write, so it doesn't get used as much. In the 'before internet' times I listened to it a lot.
Sponsored