Poll: K&N drop in filter on 2.0 Ecoboost engine -- did it improve fuel mpg?

K&n drop in filter: Did it improve fuel economy or not

• Total voters

watchnerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Badlands
I don't mean to sound like a dick it's just I've been through these gimmicks. It's just a filter and it's a drop in, so it's the exact same as stock except it's not paper, it's not gonna make power or help mpg at best it filters finer particulates.

If you want more power you either add more air (better flowing heads, bigger cam, or forced induction which we have already have although you can go with bigger forced induction) or you can remove a restriction if there is one like a better flowing exhaust or a bigger throttle body, but these only make more power if they were a restriction in the first place and honestly they usually aren't at stock or even more than stock power levels and when they are it's rarely by much. Yes the stock muffler is definitely a restriction but even on a 460 hp v8 coyote a full exhaust system will make like 20 HP to the wheels and often only at higher rpm and only at wide open throttle. A tune is the only upgrade that's a bolt on that will make a difference you can feel maybe on these cars and probably only at higher octane so they can crank up the timing. These aren't old small block Chevys where everything on them was done by cheap bad iron castings and anything you upgrade makes a big difference these are very efficient well made engines that are hard to improve upon to a noticeable difference I mean heck my 2.0 liter makes a little more power than my old bronco did and it's does it wayyy more efficiently.
Given it's a direct injection computer controlled turbo, I assume chip tuning would also be an option to increase HP by jacking up the boost pressure.

(at least it was on my turbo charged Audis)

Although that usually comes at the expense of daily driveability, reliability, and turbo wear and tear.

And/or adding a larger turbo and intercooler, at the expense of lag.
Sponsored

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Given it's a direct injection computer controlled turbo, I assume chip tuning would also be an option to increase HP by jacking up the boost pressure.

(at least it was on my turbo charged Audis)

Although that usually comes at the expense of daily driveability, reliability, and turbo wear and tear.

And/or adding a larger turbo and intercooler, at the expense of lag.
You would be correct, there are tuning companies that support the 1.5 and 2.0 liter BS models.
More power can be had depending on your needs, financial commitment and the legality of such.
I think it was 5 Star that tuned a 1.5 liter and got 300HP and obviously more torque as well.
Personally I feel the Badlands has plenty of power for me, I've never thought of it lacking.
I have driven the different model 1.5 liter Bronco Sports, while the some of the fancier creature comforts are nice, I like having the Badlands drivetrain much more and the exclusivity of it.

watchnerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Badlands
You would be correct, there are tuning companies that support the 1.5 and 2.0 liter BS models.
More power can be had depending on your needs, financial commitment and the legality of such.
I think it was 5 Star that tuned a 1.5 liter and got 300HP and obviously more torque as well.
Personally I feel the Badlands has plenty of power for me, I've never thought of it lacking.
I have driven the different model 1.5 liter Bronco Sports, while the some of the fancier creature comforts are nice, I like having the Badlands drivetrain much more and the exclusivity of it.
Yeah, I've already been able to induce wheel spin on light-metered freeway onramps with the stock Badlands.

Not sure I need more power.
Sponsored