Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/vm2dz-7855100-b.html

Looking into ordering this platform rack from my local ford dealer... No previous experience with platform racks, but i love its seeming versatility. I plan on using it in winters to attack a snowboard rack to and in the summer i 4x4 on the beaches by me for fishing and camping and think a rack like this could be great for expanding my cargo capacity and i love that "trail rig" look. Unfortunately, its still in preorder with no estimated shipping date. Anyone have any experience with these types of racks? Worth it? I'm just over 1,000 miles on my Badlands now and im starting to get the itch to add some accessories!
Sponsored

ElBronc

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/vm2dz-7855100-b.html

Looking into ordering this platform rack from my local ford dealer... No previous experience with platform racks, but i love its seeming versatility. I plan on using it in winters to attack a snowboard rack to and in the summer i 4x4 on the beaches by me for fishing and camping and think a rack like this could be great for expanding my cargo capacity and i love that "trail rig" look. Unfortunately, its still in preorder with no estimated shipping date. Anyone have any experience with these types of racks? Worth it? I'm just over 1,000 miles on my Badlands now and im starting to get the itch to add some accessories!
I'm going for the trail rig setup as well, even hope to get the 31's on after I get the 4WP lift put on.

I contacted Yakima a week ago about this same thing. I'm thinking of doing the K platform though.
ReRack shows it in stock.
Ford Bronco Sport Platform Racks Screenshot_20210309-185023_Yahoo Mail

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
Nice rack but double check the weight of it. The Bronco Sport is only rated to take 150 lbs on the roof rails when it's moving. Unfortunately the weight of any rack needs to get subtracted from that 150 lbs. With the Sunroof it's only rated at 100 lbs.

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
the Yakima site lists the weight of these platform racks, but I'm not sure if they're the same size as the ones offered by ford:

https://yakima.com/products/locknload-platform?variant=30947547643952

On the Yakima site the smallest one listed, "B" 60" x 54", is listed at 65.1 lbs. That leaves 85 lbs. for gear (or 35 lbs. if you've got a moon roof :crying:). I love these platforms but they really cut into how much gear you can carry and be within spec.

I'm curious what the limiting factor in the dynamic weight limits on the rack is? I suspect it has a lot to do with potential roll over risk with weight up high and not as much with structural integrity. Anyone have any insight on that?

Last edited:

Zooke

Big Bend
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
the Yakima site lists the weight of these platform racks, but I'm not sure if they're the same size as the ones offered by ford:

https://yakima.com/products/locknload-platform?variant=30947547643952

On the Yakima site the smallest one listed, "B" 60" x 54", is listed at 65.1 lbs. That leaves 85 lbs. for gear (or 35 lbs. if you've got a moon roof :crying:). I love these platforms but they really cut into how much gear you can carry and be within spec.

I'm curious what the limiting factor in the dynamic weight limits on the rack is? I suspect it has a lot to do with potential roll over risk with weight up high and not as much with structural integrity. Anyone have any insight on that?
There was a post a while back where someone had more than 150lbs on their rack going to the beach and he said it was more than a two hour drive away and he had no problems. I would suggest that this is Ford being extra cautious and safe to avoid being liable for any damages.

Surprises me too you can sleep on the roof, and have up to 5 or 600lbs seated and only 100-150lbs while driving. Just seems overly cautious. Just my two cents.

I also use to load my Jeep renegade with 200lb+ all the time and never had a problem. I could also be very wrong and never should have done that. Maybe someone else has a more scientific understanding or reasoning than my trial and error process ha!

OP
OP
BagOJuice

BagOJuice

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
There was a post a while back where someone had more than 150lbs on their rack going to the beach and he said it was more than a two hour drive away and he had no problems. I would suggest that this is Ford being extra cautious and safe to avoid being liable for any damages.

Surprises me too you can sleep on the roof, and have up to 5 or 600lbs seated and only 100-150lbs while driving. Just seems overly cautious. Just my two cents.

I also use to load my Jeep renegade with 200lb+ all the time and never had a problem. I could also be very wrong and never should have done that. Maybe someone else has a more scientific understanding or reasoning than my trial and error process ha!
I was thinking the same thing, I do not have a sun roof so I have slightly more wiggle room but I am curious if ford low balled that weight limit. Regardless, I think I might go for the platform, I don’t plan on doing long road trips with tons of weight on top so I think I can make it work on 4x4 beach trips

jhbass

First Edition
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

I agree with Ford being overly cautious, it helps w/lawsuits. 100lbs dynamic vs 600lbs static is quite a spread. It seems to me that mounting a platform directly to the roof rack towers and not the crossbars would make it more stable and offer better weight distribution.

Zooke

Big Bend
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I agree with Ford being overly cautious, it helps w/lawsuits. 100lbs dynamic vs 600lbs static is quite a spread. It seems to me that mounting a platform directly to the roof rack towers and not the crossbars would make it more stable and offer better weight distribution.
Oh... Interesting suggestion. Can any cargo basket do that though?

jhbass

First Edition
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Oh... Interesting suggestion. Can any cargo basket do that though?
None that I am aware of and it would have to be a pretty big basket. The issue w/a cargo basket is that if it were mounted w/o crossbars it wouldn't have enough rigidity in the center. I do know that the Rhino Backbone system can take the place of your roof rails and it allows for a total of so mounting points (3 on each side) so that might be a better overall option but I don't know if they will offer one for the BS.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
I wonder if rock climbing is accounted in the load factor? How many of you true off-roaders have tipped a jeep over?

Zooke

Big Bend
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
None that I am aware of and it would have to be a pretty big basket. The issue w/a cargo basket is that if it were mounted w/o crossbars it wouldn't have enough rigidity in the center. I do know that the Rhino Backbone system can take the place of your roof rails and it allows for a total of so mounting points (3 on each side) so that might be a better overall option but I don't know if they will offer one for the BS.
Excellent help! Thanks mate!

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
That is indeed a Yakima mid-size 'B' LocknLoad rack, with Timberline mounting towers and SL adapters, you might have to add the Yakima lock cylinders if you want those. No crossbars required with the SL adapters, the towers mount directly to the LocknLoad rack, saves you some overall height and a little weight. This rack weighs 65 lbs. Yes, the dynamic weight limits are 150 lbs., or 100 with the moonroof (they are also protecting us against rollover accidents). You can put more up there, but then you just can't drive it! These parts all ARE out there available on eBay -- but still, the whole thing rings up to about $1,000 (from Yakima and I'm sure, Ford as well).

Cactusjk

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I have a sunrrof and am looking at the LockNLoad K platform. Can I mount directly to the roof rails or do I need crossbars?

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have a sunrrof and am looking at the LockNLoad K platform. Can I mount directly to the roof rails or do I need crossbars?
Yakima has great customer service. I would call and ask. Width would be the issue I think. On the B, it’s pretty close to the rails on the front towers. i don’t know if K is more narrow.
Sponsored