Planning my second 2021 trip/documentary

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
If one more person asks ford for a power lift gate, I’m making my second 2021 road trip a tour to document people, only 80 and up, operating a manual lift gate.

I will also be documenting myself safely passing slower traffic in the underpowered 2.0L. I’ll stop at a ford dealership along the way to do the same in the super underpowered 1.5L.

As a bonus, I’ll be using sync 3 to make special trips to interview other customers with pending 2/4 dr orders about how they are liking their sync 4. Definitely trips to the drug store to stay stocked up on aspirin for all the headaches the prehistoric sync 3 tech will be giving me.

Obviously this will be a short doc to make time for a 3rd trip to go snowboarding then hopefully a fourth trip camping come spring.

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Escape
Geez, so many comments on the wish for an optional lift gate. Lots of good reasons for not wanting one. Here's my reason for wishing it was an option. I wasn't 80 but only 59 when I had my first and hopefully last open heart surgery. For a couple of months afterward I learned to appreciate the powered lift gate in my wife's Rav 4. I couldn't lift my arms high enough to reach the one on my Escape.. Trust me, having your ribcage split really sucks. A bike accident and a couple of broken bones this summer made the powered lift gate handy once again. Is it a necessity? No, my issues were fortunately temporary. If it was an option then yes I would get it. I'm getting older, things hurt more, heal slower and I don't know what next thrill the future has for me. I also think it would come in handy car camping (doubt the B.S. is long enough but we'll see) to open the hatch from the inside in the middle of the night. I'm old, we do that a lot. I doubt Ford is going to spend the $$ and additional tooling to add a powered liftgate option just because of one comment. If they do then don't check the box.

OP
essentialemployee

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
Geez, so many comments on the wish for an optional lift gate. Lots of good reasons for not wanting one. Here's my reason for wishing it was an option. I wasn't 80 but only 59 when I had my first and hopefully last open heart surgery. For a couple of months afterward I learned to appreciate the powered lift gate in my wife's Rav 4. I couldn't lift my arms high enough to reach the one on my Escape.. Trust me, having your ribcage split really sucks. A bike accident and a couple of broken bones this summer made the powered lift gate handy once again. Is it a necessity? No, my issues were fortunately temporary. If it was an option then yes I would get it. I'm getting older, things hurt more, heal slower and I don't know what next thrill the future has for me. I also think it would come in handy car camping (doubt the B.S. is long enough but we'll see) to open the hatch from the inside in the middle of the night. I'm old, we do that a lot. I doubt Ford is going to spend the $$ and additional tooling to add a powered liftgate option just because of one comment. If they do then don't check the box.

Are you asking ford for a power lift gate because you plan on having another open heart surgery in 2021? Sorry buddy you had trouble lifting your arms but fortunately the bronco sport wasn’t designed for the handicap. You said your planning to self recover your vehicle but also planning to be in too much pain to operate a manual lift gate?

So many wishes for more options and if those options were available, people would be wishing for more options. The thing is instead of asking ford for additional boxes for a vocal minority to check off, you can find a vehicle with these exact options that ford currently offers.

While you ask ford to offer this box and ask me not to check it, I’ll ask ford to not repeat what they did to the older gen escapes with the bronco sport (make into an ugly “metro focused” vehicle before the first gen is even released). And I’ll kindly ask you to shop for a different vehicle if you’re not happy with it.

OP
essentialemployee

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
Started researching for my doc. Didn’t want to copy content that was already out there. Some of my findings are below:

A older gentleman replacing his power liftgate with manual opening struts and brackets.
4C4FA107-7A60-4F17-A359-63D8E7C81F21.jpeg

A lady demonstrating some of her daily living activities.

Another gentleman demonstrating his daily living skills.

What’s more inconvenient for this woman? The hurricane? Or having to close her liftgate manually?

Some pictures of guys that checked a certain tech feature option and are now winning.
A8AF3739-CF50-4B80-A767-F31AA1D13B1D.jpeg
F9002A20-64DF-47FC-8C5F-17FC4580C31A.jpeg
A03836CA-7DC9-4BF4-99CB-8D32AAED6BDD.jpeg

Ill continue to research but so far my hypothesis is correct. That a power liftgate is just a useful as power driver, passenger, and second row doors for 99% of drivers. Unlike power windows, seats, locks, and steering.. power liftgates are more hype than helpful for the majority of drivers.

A minority of drivers will benefit from a power liftgate as will the same ones that benefit from a modified mobility vehicle.
37BE605E-F5AE-4BB7-B89F-82CF8EE3F1B6.jpeg

Anyone that has asked ford for a power liftgate can answer this question.. Since ford supposedly only fulfilled one option request from 6g 2/4dr so far, why would you want to waste your request on a power liftgate? I get it if it’s necessary and easier to order it from the factory than modify after, but it’s not necessary for 99% of drivers. Get an escape with the power liftgate option if modifying the liftgate aftermarket is too much trouble.

For you guys that have a list of requests and dislikes.. In about 10 years (if the current trend of vehicle design continues) I may very well plan to get a 2031 bronco sport... Please do not make ford turn this model into something like the current gen escape.

Obviously these are personal opinions. No, I haven't asked 100 people and found that 99 agree.

Tdubz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I don’t think anyone is expecting ford to add it just because we mentioned it here. I think it’s just a feature people like. The majority of suv/cuvs now offer it as an option. This includes the sports closest competition, the forester, Cherokee, and compass, and other off-road oriented vehicles like the 4 runner and passport. The sport is the only suv/cuv in ford’s lineup that doesn’t include it (bronco and Ecosport have swing gates).

I thought it was dumb too before I had one, but now i like it. I have kids that are constantly getting stuff out of my vehicle. Power liftgates are nice because I can set how high the liftgate opens. This is handy since I park in the garage and don’t have to worry about the kids opening the liftgate and then it hitting the ceiling/garage door.

it has also been nice during the pandemic. For curbside pickups, I didnt have to get out of the car. I just pushed a button and the liftgate opens. The employee loads the groceries or whatever and then I push a button and it closes again.

Someone in the other thread mentioned they’d rather have the manual liftgate in the rain because they can open it faster. That’s true, you can open it faster, but a power liftgate can be opened from a distance so it could be opened before you even get to the car. With a manual liftgate, you’d still have to stand in the rain for a bit while opening it. Even without the rain, it’s still nice to be able to remotely open it for other people.

OP
essentialemployee

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
I don’t think anyone is expecting ford to add it just because we mentioned it here. I think it’s just a feature people like. The majority of suv/cuvs now offer it as an option. This includes the sports closest competition, the forester, Cherokee, and compass, and other off-road oriented vehicles like the 4 runner and passport. The sport is the only suv/cuv in ford’s lineup that doesn’t include it (bronco and Ecosport have swing gates).

I thought it was dumb too before I had one, but now i like it. I have kids that are constantly getting stuff out of my vehicle. Power liftgates are nice because I can set how high the liftgate opens. This is handy since I park in the garage and don’t have to worry about the kids opening the liftgate and then it hitting the ceiling/garage door.

it has also been nice during the pandemic. For curbside pickups, I didnt have to get out of the car. I just pushed a button and the liftgate opens. The employee loads the groceries or whatever and then I push a button and it closes again.

Someone in the other thread mentioned they’d rather have the manual liftgate in the rain because they can open it faster. That’s true, you can open it faster, but a power liftgate can be opened from a distance so it could be opened before you even get to the car. With a manual liftgate, you’d still have to stand in the rain for a bit while opening it. Even without the rain, it’s still nice to be able to remotely open it for other people.
I understand the competitors in the class support this new trend of laziness. Ford has done a great job of separating this vehicle from the rest of the class in multiple areas and I dont see the absence of a power liftgate as a negative thing as some of you do. I think they know what they’re doing leaving this out and focusing on other features.

Excape

Badlands
First Name
Reg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado, CX-5
That was me. I don't typically open it from a distance. Imagine this scenario:
  • It is raining - hard driving rain
  • I have arrived at a destination and have something to retreive in the rear of the vehicle
I can open my door and exit quickly, run around to the back of the vehicle, quickly and partially open the hatch and retrieve my item, minimizing my exposure and the open vehicle's exposure to a driving horizontal rain. A few seconds total or less.

For me, this scenario has occurred frequently, not the typical automobile ad that shows the mother walking to her SUV, with baby and bags in hand, and kicking under the bumper to open the lift-gate.

As you grew to like the feature by having it, my experience was the opposite. My wife's vehicle has it and it frustrates me each time I deal with it (and it's annoying beeping).

I can certainly appreciate mobility features when needed (we have a mobility van in the family), the Bronco is marketed for an active, outdoor lifestyle with minimal frills.

Shiskamba

Big Bend
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Focus SE Hatch
I dunno.. I'd make my one wish for a 2.3L Turbo additional Option...
This! Or... it already shares so many internal components with the Escape, I’d take the 2.5L Hybrid as an option. Not like there isn’t enough space under the hood.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
This! Or... it already shares so many internal components with the Escape, I’d take the 2.5L Hybrid as an option. Not like there isn’t enough space under the hood.
How "good" is the 2.5L hybrid.. I'm sure it can't be easy because they would need to retune the drive system for the G.O.A.T. modes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tires, Wheels, Brakes 0