MtKitty

Badlands
First Name
Kitty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
For mouse or squirrel problems we'd set a small flat dish with antifreeze in it out for the vermin. Kills em dead before they can nest or chew through a radiator hose..
This occurred while camping, although it could have occurred at home. Any thoughts as to my question....fire risk? Thanks.
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
This occurred while camping, although it could have occurred at home. Any thoughts as to my question....fire risk? Thanks.
I don't think antifreeze if flammable. Side note, had a buddy with the slowest leak from the bottom radiator hose. In one night in the woods a coon ate right through the hose. They love the antifreeze..

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4

MtKitty

Badlands
First Name
Kitty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
I don't think antifreeze if flammable. Side note, had a buddy with the slowest leak from the bottom radiator hose. In one night in the woods a coon ate right through the hose. They love the antifreeze..
My question was not about how to control nature, it was about what is under the bash plates that could catch fire. I guess I will have to borrow a rack and find out myself.

MtKitty

Badlands
First Name
Kitty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Yeah what if my cats drink it? Then I am out my rodent patrollers...
I'm not into packing antifreeze on camping trips to kill potential nesters -(or any other time for that matter.) I don't live in town, I am surrounded by wilderness and I prefer to stay in the wilderness. This means, critters are a fact of life. I'm only concerned with what might be a fire danger under the bash plates, should furry friends decide to move in and build a house while I sleep, between the bash plates and undercarriage! I'm always watchful under the hood since I've had mice nest there in almost every vehicle I've ever owned. But, the bash plates present a different problem and possibly an attractive place to take up residence for pack rats and mice. I don't relish the idea of seeing flames coming out from under my BS.

MtKitty

Badlands
First Name
Kitty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
I need to know where the hot spots might be, not how to kill critters. Live and let live!

MtKitty

Badlands
First Name
Kitty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Uh, I am not concerned about antifreeze's flammability. I just want to know where the hot spots might be on the undercarriage, in the event pack rats or mice do try to nest there, on top of the bash plates. They always nest under the hood of every vehicle I have owned so...thinking ahead to what might be coming next. Since three mice jumped off my BS when I started it after a night of camping, it's obviously a pretty cush spot to build a house for them! There was a nest under the hood, also.
[/QUOTE

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
The turbo and exhaust pipes are what get hot. Eng trans not so much...

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I would not be concerned about fires if I had bash plates. A few nights camping, no antifreeze leaks, nothing to draw nesting rodents up in there.
I think all this is a non issue except in the rarest of circumstances.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Rodents become a problem if vehicle sits long time like weeks months years. Rodents love stationary vehicles. For vehicles that get moved a lot those dont make good rodent homes.

MtKitty

Badlands
First Name
Kitty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Rodents become a problem if vehicle sits long time like weeks months years. Rodents love stationary vehicles. For vehicles that get moved a lot those dont make good rodent homes.
My BS sat overnight only and had a nest under the hood and three critters jumped off (that I saw) when I moved it. The struggle is real.

MtKitty

Badlands
First Name
Kitty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Apparently, I am the "rarest of circumstances". Had a nest under the hood and three critters (that I saw) bailed off when I fired up after parking (camped) for 12 hours. The struggle is real.
I would not be concerned about fires if I had bash plates. A few nights camping, no antifreeze leaks, nothing to draw nesting rodents up in there.
I think all this is a non issue except in the rarest of circumstances.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
My BS sat overnight only and had a nest under the hood and three critters jumped off (that I saw) when I moved it. The struggle is real.
Sounds like critter infestation
Sponsored