Phone charging

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Buying a 2023 44 thousand dollar vehicle should not require adding this or that birds nest of wires to charge a phone or connect to anything. If not for the capabilities the electronics and people friendly items generally fall short. USB phone charger should be at least the 2 amp version. The wireless charger should be top notch. I am tired of adapting this or that. As NOT an electrical or vehicle engineer I can say these guys are cheap morons for what goes into a car. I probably could retire off the copper I have from all the crap adapted over the last 35 or so years. Sorry for the rant but the words just get an adapter just rubs me wrong.
They aren't doing it because they're cheap, they're doing it for liability reasons.

I recently flew a couple of long haul flights in an AirBus A330. They have USB charging ports and they're 1 amp. They didn't do it to save money either. My solution is simple, I carry a charging bank with me when I fly.
Sponsored

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
They aren't doing it because they're cheap, they're doing it for liability reasons.

I recently flew a couple of long haul flights in an AirBus A330. They have USB charging ports and they're 1 amp. They didn't do it to save money either. My solution is simple, I carry a charging bank with me when I fly.
If it will not charge a modern phone why bother. I have at least 35 years experience in adapters and cable fixes. This is something in the 21st first world century that should not be that difficult to remedy. However at least the cubbie holes fit my phone until you have to plug it into something. It's bad enough that they couldn't have sync4 wireless android auto. FORD is begine the times with tech for this vehicle, as are alot of manufacturers.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
If it will not charge a modern phone why bother. I have at least 35 years experience in adapters and cable fixes. This is something in the 21st first world century that should not be that difficult to remedy. However at least the cubbie holes fit my phone until you have to plug it into something. It's bad enough that they couldn't have sync4 wireless android auto. FORD is begine the times with tech for this vehicle, as are alot of manufacturers.
Iā€™m surprised as well that they even try. Too many different phone sizes and no real standard between power input and requirements. I bought a Carlinked adapter and use that unless I plan to be on the road for a few hours. For me that works perfect. At some point they will switch everything to sync 4 or higher but I donā€™t see the charging pad issue getting resolved until a standard is created for where the input is and how much is required.

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I noticed the same thing today doing some driving out of town. I took off about 10am. There wasn't much charging going on while it was plugged in and that part about 7pm looks like I lost power. I remember checking and it was about 39% and after I drove around for a few minutes and checked again, it was at 38%. I started suspecting an issue shortly before that and kept monitoring it.

Ford Bronco Sport Phone charging IMG_7656

My battery usage is showing Geico App used a lot of battery today. I signed up for DriveEasy to try and lower my insurance premium so that's probably adding some to it.

This is a big difference to my mom's CR-V. I can get in around 50%, drive an. hour or so with Maps and Music playing through CarPlay, and be at 100% when I get there. The same thing would happen with my Accord but I used a 12v plug adaptor.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
I noticed the same thing today doing some driving out of town. I took off about 10am. There wasn't much charging going on while it was plugged in and that part about 7pm looks like I lost power. I remember checking and it was about 39% and after I drove around for a few minutes and checked again, it was at 38%. I started suspecting an issue shortly before that and kept monitoring it.

Ford Bronco Sport Phone charging IMG_7656

My battery usage is showing Geico App used a lot of battery today. I signed up for DriveEasy to try and lower my insurance premium so that's probably adding some to it.

This is a big difference to my mom's CR-V. I can get in around 50%, drive an. hour or so with Maps and Music playing through CarPlay, and be at 100% when I get there. The same thing would happen with my Accord but I used a 12v plug adaptor.
Were you using the USB- A or C? If using the A try and use the C and see if you notice a difference. Also iPhones stop charging when they get too hot, and my iPhone 12 often gets too hot if Iā€™m driving and I have the phone in the passenger seat in the sun. Iā€™m in Florida so itā€™s pretty hot.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I was just reading where iPhones now make decisions about when to charge as an energy saving strategy. Who knows what your phone is thinking šŸ˜

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Were you using the USB- A or C? If using the A try and use the C and see if you notice a difference. Also iPhones stop charging when they get too hot, and my iPhone 12 often gets too hot if Iā€™m driving and I have the phone in the passenger seat in the sun. Iā€™m in Florida so itā€™s pretty hot.
I tried a USB-C cable I had laying around (bought it awhile back but don't really have a need for it). My iPhone stayed above 95% today. I tried to stress it out using Maps and watching YouTube (I was listening) while connected via CarPlay.

I don't think it was getting hot. I keep it in the cubby near the USB ports and it was pretty cool today, both inside and outside the BS. I might get a 1-foot cable to declutter and keep me from picking it up.

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
This is the way.
Ok, I don' t know if I'd like this.

I had to pick up my phone the other day to use it for something, while CarPlay was going on. I was safe, wasn't driving.

Either way, I would not be able to do that with a 1 foot cable. Maybe a 1.5 foot? I don't like all the extra cable but I also don't want to be tethered if needed.

I am considering a ProClip mount, though.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I had to pick up my phone the other day to use it for something, while CarPlay was going on. I was safe, wasn't driving.
If you're not driving you can simply unplug it if you need to look at it, right? For me, the phone screen is too small to view without reading glasses which aren't effective beyond arm's length. So putting the phone on a mount isn't an option for me; I would still have to take it out of the mount and hold it to view.
Sponsored