Mighty Mouse

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS Badlands
anyone having charging issues while connected and using apple car play? It seems on mine it wants to charge very slow or hardly at all. And I have tried both the USB port and usbc one.
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
ironically I have a newer phone, it holds a charge for quite some time. Minor first world issues, when I use the USB-c to listen to spoitify or map with waze, my phone is in a constant state of charge even if it's full. long term I can't imagine that's good for the battery. My work computer basically became a brick if it wasn't hooked to a power source because our laptops are wired to the wall monitors, and the connection is a dual charger much like the car system...it's a conundrum. I'd say as some have mentioned with my waze issues, perhaps you need a faster/better cable for better charging.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
anyone having charging issues while connected and using apple car play? It seems on mine it wants to charge very slow or hardly at all. And I have tried both the USB port and usbc one.
No issues for me using a USB-A to Lightning cable from the Carlinkit-3 wireless adapter. Battery goes down relatively fast IMO when using Waze without the wire connected. I use the wireless mode most of the time unless I’m traveling a long distance.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
No issues with the USB ports but the wireless charger is absolutely worthless.
Hmm
 and yet mine worked flawlessly on a 400 mile trip today. Guess that’s just the way it is

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
With my previous phone, a Motorola 5g Stylus, it would show "turbopower" charging when connected to the USB c port. I believe that requires at least 15 watts.

Apple is 25 or 30 watts? That would feel slow for sure.

ironically I have a newer phone, it holds a charge for quite some time. Minor first world issues, when I use the USB-c to listen to spoitify or map with waze, my phone is in a constant state of charge even if it's full. long term I can't imagine that's good for the battery. My work computer basically became a brick if it wasn't hooked to a power source because our laptops are wired to the wall monitors, and the connection is a dual charger much like the car system...it's a conundrum. I'd say as some have mentioned with my waze issues, perhaps you need a faster/better cable for better charging.
You're right, sitting at 100% charge is not good for the battery.

Look in the settings to see if it has a battery protection setting. Samsung has that, it will stop charging at 85%.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Not true, when my IPhone 13 shows a full charge and it’s plugged in it will show charging but it’s not.
all these modern phones made in the last, oh I don’t know, 20 years have on board logic circuits to keep it from over charging.
the most basic way to explain this is that charge indicator icon means ‘External power’ and if the battery is not fully charged it will charge..
Did that make sense ?
Im a confusing person :’P
Now IF your phone gets hot it’s just working hard. Running apps and charging is a lot.
phones don’t have internal fans like Lap tops.OR !
I’ve taken multi hour trips with my phone plugged in and using navigation on the phone with no heat at all but if I start streaming music also it gets warmer but not hot.
If your using a surface charger and your phone case between the charge pad and phone is getting hot it’s not the fault of the phone, it due to the things between the phone and charger.
I don’t surface charge because of that heat

BUT if I take my phone out of the case I have little to no heat while surface charging.
You’ll get a new phone every three or four years anyway so use it up.

Last edited:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Not true, when my IPhone 13 shows a full charge and it’s plugged in it will show charging but it’s not.
all these modern phones made in the last, oh I don’t know, 20 years have on board logic circuits to keep it from over charging.
the most basic way to explain this is that charge indicator icon means ‘External power’ and if the battery is not fully charged it will charge..
Did that make sense ?
Im a confusing person :’P
Now IF your phone gets hot it’s just working hard. Running apps and charging is a lot.
phones don’t have internal fans like Lap tops.OR !
I’ve taken multi hour trips with my phone plugged in and using navigation on the phone with no heat at all but if I start streaming music also it gets warmer but not hot.
If your using a surface charger and your phone case between the charge pad and phone is getting hot it’s not the fault of the phone, it due to the things between the phone and charger.
I don’t surface charge because of that heat

BUT if I take my phone out of the case I have little to no heat while surface charging.
You’ll get a new phone every three or four years anyway so use it up.
perhaps it's more a reflection of my age when it would degrade any chargable :) Good to know.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
There's two issues, heat from charging and state of charge.

Phone batteries, all batteries don't like to be too hot (or too cold). Too much heat will shorten battery life. As Osco says, most modern phones have temperature sensors and circuitry to reduce heat from charging so this becomes mostly a non-issue. Although the kind of heat the wireless charging pad in BS causes gives me some concern.

Lithium batteries do not like to stay fully charged. Charging to full is OK, letting it stay at full can be a problem over the long run. This is why you see things like the battery protect mode on Samsung phones that stops charging at 85%.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The USB ports in the Bronco Sport seem to be 1 AMP output or so, around 5 watts, kind of like the early Apple chargers, so they don't charge fast.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Yeah guys my rather new, six months or so IPhone 13 has a good size battery.
From a 100% battery charge I only use 12-22% on a normal day. Every night I charge up BUT
The battery management soft ware slows things up.
I plug up at 10:30 pm at say 78% battery. The system tells me full charge will be reached at 3:30am
 BUT next time I’ll be at 84% and full charge will be reached at 4:30am.

Jenbeth

Outer Banks
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Driving the Husband’s F-150
I have wireless charging and Carlinkit-4, the only issue I’m having is with my phone overheating.

OP
OP

Mighty Mouse

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS Badlands
The USB ports in the Bronco Sport seem to be 1 AMP output or so, around 5 watts, kind of like the early Apple chargers, so they don't charge fast.
this is what I am seeing. Is there a way to boost that output or just live with it?

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm an Electronic Engineer and I can assure you there's no way to boost it out of the USB port.

However, if you can get a cigarette lighter to USB adapter, you can probably double, triple or quadruple the output. Just use the round 12 V output next to the USB output.

Here's a link to one that quadruples it from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S82CRXJ/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=f409c326f295db8823c4541680b4638a&content-id=amzn1.sym.53aae2ac-0129-49a5-9c09-6530a9e11786:amzn1.sym.53aae2ac-0129-49a5-9c09-6530a9e11786&hsa_cr_id=5693612500001&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=1233a327-bf2d-4027-8f24-d7cdf9693704&pd_rd_w=mLYCG&pd_rd_wg=ev88e&qid=1663615647&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_lsi4d_asin_0_img&sr=1-1-a094db1c-5033-42c6-82a2-587d01f975e8
Sponsored