Paint chips

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
So I was getting ready to wash my car and doing a few spot cleans the other day. Noticed some paint chips in areas that are not even high traffic areas. You can see the two paint chips on the front surrounding the lights are in identical spots on both sides, and then surrounding the back left tail light. These are on top of the chips on the hood that happened in the first month, which I just assumed was due to highway driving. Now I’m not so sure and believe that my bs badlands was just a crappy paint job. Not sure if I’m going to take it in and deal with the hassle or just use a paint pen but pretty upsetting to say the least.

Ford Bronco Sport Paint chips AB5BE40D-A513-421A-9C8A-58D4BF4428EB

Ford Bronco Sport Paint chips 1FEFF65D-34F4-4A58-BEBE-C343C27E8293

Ford Bronco Sport Paint chips C36F1953-33E5-431B-910D-47AB90805FFF

Ford Bronco Sport Paint chips B7E7F7E6-201E-4484-94C6-D5181E7F4AFC

Ford Bronco Sport Paint chips 93E90E3D-52FD-4A2A-B76B-4DDF623A58B6
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Yeah I've had a few spots on my BL as well. On the trunk, rear passenger door, side of headlight, and even on the roof (I noticed while applying my ceramic wax). I had no luck with Ford; I just use the pen ?‍♂

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Seems my first run nearly first out of the factory base model was done with a careful eye. QC was a hot priority at the start.
I’ve done the Sunday AM walk around of several of the B sports at my dealer as they arrive. I’m not seeing any cosmetic defects.
They get two or three or four a month randomly. They are not special orders, mostly Big bends I think. Mostly red, white, silver and some sort of metallic blue ?
They generally sell within two days and I was told that half were pre paid down “I’ll take the next one you get no matter the package or color.”
They call them first, they choose and buy them. The left over one or two goes the next day,, or two.
I’ve talked to three other new owners and none have had any issues.
All are selling at sticker price but those I asked were pleasantly surprised at the top dollar trade in money like I was.
Used car values are way up and My Ford Dealer, (King Ford) is passing that extra value right to the customer. I have a good dealer !

Last edited:

760Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Seems my first run nearly first out of the factory base model was done with a careful eye. QC was a hot priority at the start.
I’ve done the Sunday AM walk around of several of the B sports at my dealer as they arrive. I’m not seeing any cosmetic defects.
They get two or three or four a month randomly. They are not special orders, mostly Big bends I think. Mostly red, white, silver and some sort of metallic blue ?
They generally sell within two days and I was told that half were pre paid down “I’ll take the next one you get no matter the package or color.”
They call them first, they choose and buy them. The left over one or two goes the next day,, or two.
I’ve talked to three other new owners and none have had any issues.
All are selling at sticker price but those I asked were pleasantly surprised at the top dollar trade in money like I was.
Used car values are way up and My Ford Dealer, (King Ford) is passing that extra value right to the customer. I have a good dealer !
Um, how is this relevant to the paint chips many owners have experienced? Lol

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Um, how is this relevant to the paint chips many owners have experienced? Lol
I haven’t seen a paint chip so I guess it’s a rare fluke? Have only talked to a few bs owners with any miles on the clock, no paint chips.
Could this be a new thing in the more recent productions ?
Maybe the watchful eye of Ford corporate has left Mexico and QC is slipping?
Also I think most owners are happy, no complaints and have no reason or are too busy to complain about anything that pops up with their BS in a Forum. I bet less than 10% of the Bronco sport owners ever even see this Forum.
If they have a problem they take it to the dealer, warranty ya know.:,P

Last edited:

OP
OP

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I haven’t seen a paint chip so I guess it’s a rare fluke? Have only talked to a few bs owners with any miles on the clock, no paint chips.
Could this be a new thing in the more recent productions ?
Maybe the watchful eye of Ford corporate has left Mexico and QC is slipping?
Also I think most owners are happy, no complaints and have no reason or are too busy to complain about anything that pops up with their BS in a Forum. I bet less than 10% of the Bronco sport owners ever even see this Forum.
If they have a problem they take it to the dealer, warranty ya know.:,P
considering that you see brand new cars on your dealerships, it makes sense that you don’t see paint chips. But just a little research on your end by typing in paint chips in the search bar above would show that there are issues with bronco sports and paint chips. This is a bronco sport forum, we talk about bronco sports so that people are aware of any issues that arise and we also share experiences that we can all relate to. These pictures attached show that this is a crappy paint job. Now with that said, I love my bronco sport and have actually canceled my big bronco reservation because of how much I like It. But coming on here to discredit what is clearly poor QC coming off the lot so that you may sell one or two more bronco sports is a little mind blowing. I’ll use a touch pen and keep enjoying my sport. Good day.

ElBronc

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Same paint chips on mine, lower outer edge each side of the grill. Look likes theres a little tab making contact with the paint causing the chipping. Been meaning to show the dealer.

Ford Bronco Sport Paint chips PXL_20211101_201455757.MP

Ford Bronco Sport Paint chips PXL_20211101_201505153.MP

Ford Bronco Sport Paint chips PXL_20211101_201528733.MP

OP
OP

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Same paint chips on mine, lower outer edge each side of the grill. Look likes theres a little tab making contact with the paint causing the chipping. Been meaning to show the dealer.

Ford Bronco Sport Paint chips PXL_20211101_201455757.MP

Ford Bronco Sport Paint chips PXL_20211101_201505153.MP

Ford Bronco Sport Paint chips PXL_20211101_201528733.MP
Well would you look at that. Thank you for sharing. Seems it is indeed a QC issue. I’m going to assume the dealer won’t do anything for us but maybe worth bringing it up.

ElBronc

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Well would you look at that. Thank you for sharing. Seems it is indeed a QC issue. I’m going to assume the dealer won’t do anything for us but maybe worth bringing it up.
Yeah, seems like a pretty obvious design flaw with that part of the grill making contact with the paint. I'm sure we aren't the only ones.

Everyone on here should check their sport and post pics if they have the same problem.

I'll take it up as high as I need to, better believe I'll get somebody to take care of it.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Yeah, seems like a pretty obvious design flaw with that part of the grill making contact with the paint. I'm sure we aren't the only ones.

Everyone on here should check their sport and post pics if they have the same problem.

I'll take it up as high as I need to, better believe I'll get somebody to take care of it.
Yeah, a lot of the photos popping up are showing chipping where two material meet. I also saw some other pics where it looked more like their BS was flaking as opposed to impact chips where there were bends in the metal.

Due to either lack of QC or trying to speed up to get cars off the line after all the stoppages they may have made mistakes in the common 5 step process:

Modern automotive coating methods consist of five main steps. They include the following:
  • Pretreatment: removes and cleans excess metal and forms an appropriate surface structure enabling bonding of a corrosion protection layer.
  • The next step is electrodeposition (ED) of the anti-corrosion or rust prevention layer.
  • A sealer like Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC) is applied for anti-corrosion, elimination of water leaks, and minimization of chipping and vibrational noise.
  • A primer is then applied to promote adhesion between the surface and the basecoat; it also imparts a smoother surface for subsequent layers and has anti-chipping properties.
  • Finally, the topcoats that include a basecoat and clearcoat are applied; they provide surface properties that are sought after, including color, appearance, gloss, smoothness, and weather resistance.

Ford Bronco Sport Paint chips C7C531A7-63D6-4AB8-9462-A961F3011D21

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I am surprised to see the cyber orange with chips since it is a tricoat (extra cost) but that looks like a rub point.

As for the ones chipping in places that there is no rub and no rocks, I am wondering if the chipping is occuring more on the base paint colors and less on the ones that you pay more for such as metallic tinted and metallic tricoat paint colors.

Ford Bronco Sport Paint chips D7F3787F-E639-4062-940D-41AD000CAE16

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I had the same paint chips on the driver rear tail light. Ford fixed it under warranty and the dealer said they did not mount the tail light correctly from the factory, the passenger side was fine. They had a few more BS on the lot in different trims and they all had the drivers side tail light chips... This was back in April. Just noticed I also have them by the head light corners, one down to the metal. Will take it to them tomorrow to see what they say.

OP
OP

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I had the same paint chips on the driver rear tail light. Ford fixed it under warranty and the dealer said they did not mount the tail light correctly from the factory, the passenger side was fine. They had a few more BS on the lot in different trims and they all had the drivers side tail light chips... This was back in April. Just noticed I also have them by the head light corners, one down to the metal. Will take it to them tomorrow to see what they say.
Thanks for the insight. Please let me know!
Sponsored