Overhead Console Removal?

Palom0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2021 Wildtrak, Carbonized Gray
Does anyone know how to remove the overhead console?
I have tried prying it out but can't do it completely and am afraid there may be a hidden screw or specific procedure to remove it. I don't want to break it.

During summer days with direct sunlight I can't wear my sunglasses right off the console's holder. They get so hot that they'll burn my face.
I want to place a heat-reflective tape to reflect some of the radiated heat that gets into the sunglass holder. It's worked in my other cars before.
Sponsored

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
I have tried prying it out but can't do it completely and am afraid there may be a hidden screw or specific procedure to remove it. I don't want to break it.

During summer days with direct sunlight I can't wear my sunglasses right off the console's holder. They get so hot that they'll burn my face.
I want to place a heat-reflective tape to reflect some of the radiated heat that gets into the sunglass holder. It's worked in my other cars before.
Bump

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Can you be more specific? Precisely which console are you trying to remove?

Can you post a pic of exactly which part you are trying to remove?

For what it's worth, all of the interior trim pieces I've removed were held in place with plastic and metal clips that come apart with firm increasing pressure. Use a trim tool to get a finger between the trim piece and what it's mounted to, then apply firm, increasing pressure without yanking. Yanking can result in breaking the plastic parts.

OP
OP

Palom0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the Overhead Console

Ford Bronco Sport Overhead Console Removal? a

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
put sunglasses down in lower area when not wearing? We put ours in case and in door pocket…or cup holders….or….you get the idea. For all the years I have had eyeglass holders in car up in the header, I have never used them.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
there's gonna be screws in there somewhere. my guess is in the sunglass holder, or possibly the lights. see if you can carefully remove one of the lights. if i recall correctly, when i was an autobody mechanic, there were usually screws under the lamps. just be gentle with it.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
This is the Overhead Console

Ford Bronco Sport Overhead Console Removal? a
Did you figure it out? I have another idea for what i want to do in there. Any information and or pictures you can share would be great.

OP
OP

Palom0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, I haven't. From what I see of the console part sold on eBay, it seems it has two lips at the front, 2 metal clips on the back and some type of plastic clips on the sides. But I have not dared to try removing it yet. The fit seems to strong.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
It's similar to the console I replaced in a Ranger.

There are 2 pieces. There is a cover and then a part actually mounted to the roof under the headliner. The cover pulls off. You pull at the sunglass end with a trim tool. After the retainers pop, you have to pull it back to release the front tabs. There are electrical connections so only go as far as the harness allows until you unclip the electrical harnesses.

Here are the best pics I could grab, from the Ford Parts website. I know you grabbed a stock photo with the sunroof, but both parts are pretty similar.
Ford Bronco Sport Overhead Console Removal? 453294
Ford Bronco Sport Overhead Console Removal? 453271
Ford Bronco Sport Overhead Console Removal? 452994
Ford Bronco Sport Overhead Console Removal? Capture.JPG

OP
OP

Palom0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finally got time to do this. The back clips, close to the sunglass lid, unclip easy with a trim tool. The two other ones on the sides, are a little bit harder but eventually come off and then the whole thing drops. There's 3 connectors to unplug and the whole thing slides back (Thanks Glamdring70)
The other half, located between the overhead and roof cannot be removed. It seems to be glued to the trim.

I managed to cram a rectangular piece of insulating material between the roof and the trim right on top of where the sunglass holder space is.
I used something called "Adhesive-Backed Aluminized Fiberglass Heat-Shield Barrier" that I had left from a motorcycle project. It certainly it more insulation than I needed, but I had it lying there, so...

Easy mod, good for the warm months when you leave the car under the sun and don't want to burn your face when putting the glasses on.
Happy now!

Ford Bronco Sport Overhead Console Removal? OH Console 1.JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Overhead Console Removal? OH Console 2.JPG

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
That secondary plastic piece looks to have two round rivets towards the back (front in your pic) holding it up onto a roof bracket.

OP
OP

Palom0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could be, I didn't see them at the time. But in any case, I didn't need to take it off. You can just slide a piece of heat barrier sheet through the openings where the connectors hang.
Sponsored