SandBam

Badlands
First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So just wanted to get y’all a prospective. I am new to off-roading and quite frankly want a vehicle to travel around with my family through Texas and Colorado. My question is do I really need the Badlands to do it? My gut tells me to go Badlands but my overall driving leads me to outer banks. Anyone have some reasons why a Badlands is necessary. Where do y’all go and travel? Thanks
Sponsored

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
So just wanted to get y’all a prospective. I am new to off-roading and quite frankly want a vehicle to travel around with my family through Texas and Colorado. My question is do I really need the Badlands to do it? My gut tells me to go Badlands but my overall driving leads me to outer banks. Anyone have some reasons why a Badlands is necessary. Where do y’all go and travel? Thanks
I have similar questions. I would add. If you spend most of your time on pavement is there any downside to the Badlands model?

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Think the simple decision comes down to, do you want true 4WD, or just AWD?

Sure 4WD lets you travel some tougher trails, but it's also going to help for snow/ice/sand, so it really depends on your driving needs.

Personally, I want the availability of 4WD, even though I rarely need it.

autonathan

Outer Banks
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lincoln Town Car
I think most people will go for the Badlands simply for the 2.0L engine. I went with the Outer Banks just to get all the bells and whistles and the bigger wheels. Personally, I really like the little 3-cylinder. I've driven it a few times in the Escape and it does really well. I don't think the 2.0L is necessary unless you just want the extra power. The drivetrain is mostly the same, though the twin-clutch rear drive unit would help in very tough situations.

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
I think most people will go for the Badlands simply for the 2.0L engine. I went with the Outer Banks just to get all the bells and whistles and the bigger wheels. Personally, I really like the little 3-cylinder. I've driven it a few times in the Escape and it does really well. I don't think the 2.0L is necessary unless you just want the extra power. The drivetrain is mostly the same, though the twin-clutch rear drive unit would help in very tough situations.
What did you like about the 3-cylinder?

autonathan

Outer Banks
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lincoln Town Car
What did you like about the 3-cylinder?
It has really good low-end torque and a neat sound. The sound is closer to that of a 6-cylinder, which makes sense. It should be very efficient too, but I haven't gotten the chance to take a trip in one. I've just driven around town and on two-lane roads around 55 MPH.

2Horse

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Upgraded larger motor wins the Badlands every time when I compare them.
If the 2.0 was available in the OuterBanks, I probably would have been interested in that model because I liked the standard features and the seat colors. Also we live much closer to the Outer Banks than we do the Badlands so it would have been fun to talk about the names of the models. But ultimately I ordered the Badlands to get the 2.0 and the additional off road capability was a bonus. I have driven an Escape and Fusion with the 2.0L turbo and was very impressed with the power and responsiveness.

OP
OP

SandBam

Badlands
First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I guess I am waiting on the drive reviews before I pull the trigger on which model. I also feel like I am not going to take a brand new vehicle through a bunch of rocks and mud anytime soon. So we shall see. Thanks for all your inputs

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
If the 2.0 was available in the OuterBanks, I probably would have been interested in that model because I liked the standard features and the seat colors. Also we live much closer to the Outer Banks than we do the Badlands so it would have been fun to talk about the names of the models. But ultimately I ordered the Badlands to get the 2.0 and the additional off road capability was a bonus. I have driven an Escape and Fusion with the 2.0L turbo and was very impressed with the power and responsiveness.
I guess it's a pretty standard attempt to up-sell as you can add most of the comfort features back in with the Badlands package. The Badlands package leather seats look to be basically the same as Outer Banks.

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
I guess it's a pretty standard attempt to up-sell as you can add most of the comfort features back in with the Badlands package. The Badlands package leather seats look to be basically the same as Outer Banks.
Yeah, it is a bit overkill, but... the blessing of the BL+BL is that there's no messing with it.

You can call up a dealer and say I want a BL+BL in myfavcolor and be done. there's no messing with the dealer having 3 of the 5 options you want, or 7 instead of the 4 you want. This should help availability on dealer floors, and color options.

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
Badlands for sure..not much of a price difference between them. Maybe around 2k difference, when I compared the Ford builder between the 2. With the BL you get a better engine, suspension and drivetrain. The only con I see if you go full BL, you're stuck with only 1 interior option, and not many people like the brown on black leather
Sponsored