tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I thought rooftop tents were crazy, but then I watched several YouTube videos of truck campers/overlanders -- for 1 or 2 people it's pretty amazing. So quick and independent, you just park and camp out of the tailgate, pop up your tent when you're ready for bed, fold it down and go when you're ready in the morning. They have this freedom -- and many or most times are camping just the 1 night until they move on to their next stop. That would be an ordeal in a ground tent, especially with the family of 4 along as I have done in the past.
Sponsored

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
That's a clamshell the pops up on one or both sides to reveal the fabric sides of the tent, while itself forming either the roof or one side of the expanded tent.
I get that. I just saw the post and how you mounted a tent but I didn't see any pictures of the actual tent opened up lol. Thats all.

OP
OP

Montej75

Outer Banks
First Name
JEREMY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Area 51
Was driving high way significantly louder in this set up? I have the OEM cross bars with my old extra long cargo rack and it sits very very high with a huge gap in the front. I'm wondering if the cross bars you have (those Yakima?) would get my basket lower to help cut down wind noise while still giving my moon roof space to clear. Thanks in advance!
Ford Bronco Sport Our roof top tent setup Bronco w: Rack
The Yakima crossbars are the aero version and have a track for low profile installs

OP
OP

Montej75

Outer Banks
First Name
JEREMY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Area 51
I thought rooftop tents were crazy, but then I watched several YouTube videos of truck campers/overlanders -- for 1 or 2 people it's pretty amazing. So quick and independent, you just park and camp out of the tailgate, pop up your tent when you're ready for bed, fold it down and go when you're ready in the morning. They have this freedom -- and many or most times are camping just the 1 night until they move on to their next stop. That would be an ordeal in a ground tent, especially with the family of 4 along as I have done in the past.
It certainly made camping up and down the western coast of California, Oregon and Washington really easy. We could be packed up within a few minutes.

Kq100

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
What is the weight of that load? Curious since static load capacity is 100lbs if u have a moonroof and 150 lbs without a moonroof. I went 140 lbs on mine with a moonroof. no issue.
What is the long term report with 140lbs on the roof? Any issues?

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Just love the actual pictures of the tent itself.... Thanks for the info...

featheredprop

Badlands
First Name
dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
What is the weight of that load? Curious since static load capacity is 100lbs if u have a moonroof and 150 lbs without a moonroof. I went 140 lbs on mine with a moonroof. no issue.
Hello,

I'm intrigued with your post. I also have a moon roof and was concerned with exceeding the weight limit. You say you've had no problems. Can you discuss this a bit? What cross bars did you select? Photo?

Thanks!

cgdmnky

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-150
Hello,

I'm intrigued with your post. I also have a moon roof and was concerned with exceeding the weight limit. You say you've had no problems. Can you discuss this a bit? What cross bars did you select? Photo?

Thanks!
At the time I was using the OEM crossbars that came with my FE. I put a Yakima Megawarrior rack on top of that. My gear's weight plus the rack weight was ~140lbs. I used a scale to weigh everything. No real issues. I definitely felt the center of gravity change but never felt unsafe on the open highway.
Sponsored