Fordone Badlands

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
My wife and I had one each, both 5 speed standards, and between us we drove them for 21 years. They were a fun vehicle and had lots of potential.

My biggest beef right now is with the lack of good towing capacity on the Bronco Sport. Think I may have found a solution in the forums, either rear air bags, or rear air shocks when a trailer load is needed.

The original Bronco II's had a 5000 Lb towing capacity, all with 140 HP in a 2.9 litre v-6. This using the existing step bumper. I hauled a lot of trailer loads of firewood with it over the years.

Ford Bronco Sport Original Bronco II from 1987-1988 days IMG_4254
Ford Bronco Sport Original Bronco II from 1987-1988 days IMG_4255
Sponsored

WLK

Badlands
First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I had a 1989 bronco II - loved it.

Ford Bronco Sport Original Bronco II from 1987-1988 days unnamed

hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
That was the car a learned to drive on! '87 Bronco II. I did love it and it was a big reason I dug the Sprot when it came out. But never felt that it was a powerful car. I see those towing numbers and remember it was a V6, but it struggled up hills. I can't imagine it towing much, but guess you had a different experience.

OP
OP
Fordone Badlands

Fordone Badlands

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
That was the car a learned to drive on! '87 Bronco II. I did love it and it was a big reason I dug the Sprot when it came out. But never felt that it was a powerful car. I see those towing numbers and remember it was a V6, but it struggled up hills. I can't imagine it towing much, but guess you had a different experience.
Yes, it did not have near the hp this new 2 liter ecoboost has.

IdahoDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 sport
Dated a gal in high school that had one. That thing was a constant broken down pile of crap. I really hated them for a long time. Then a buddy of ended up with one and that thing was a fun little rig as long as you didn't take sharp corners fast.....or moderately speedy. I started casually looking for one but never got around to it before they skyrocketed in price here. I wanted one to tow behind my pickup. Drop it off at a boat ramp down river, drop a canoe into the river up stream, beaver trap down to the Bronco, load canoe, drive back to the pickup, hook up and go home.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
A friend owned a 1966 Bronco, 289V8 with a 3 speed. I drove it quite a bit.

My Outer Banks is faster.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
My biggest beef right now is with the lack of good towing capacity on the Bronco Sport. Think I may have found a solution in the forums, either rear air bags, or rear air shocks when a trailer load is needed.
You might want to watch this before you add airbags for towing. They're fine for load leveling the vehicle up to its maximum GVWR, but I don't think they're meant to increase towing capacity. Besides, I believe the towing limitation for the Bronco Sport Badlands has more to do with the amount of suspension travel and the rear diff than anything else. The Maverick EcoBoost (same Ford C2 platform, engine, and transmission as the Bronco Sport) has a 4000 lb towing capacity when equipped with the towing package, but when equipped with the Tremor package (same suspension components and rear diff as the Bronco Sport) it's limited to 2000 lbs.

Sponsored