On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"...

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
That's exactly what my wife's BS big bend 1.5 does.....sound like rod knock every time you let off the gas going from 40-25. I thought maybe it's the sound when the cylinder is cutting out for fuel efficiency. for $30,000 it's unerving and doesn't make me think the vehicle will last over 100,000 miles.

They won't admit or don't know. Whats going on. They probably don't care cause they are selling so fast.
Bro I’m telling you it’s that shift cable, once they tighten it you’ll be good to go. I posted what my dealer have me earlier in the thread.

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS, 2018 F150, 2014 Focus, 2013 Escape
Anyone have a picture on where that noisy cable is located?
It's located under the air box and battery. If you have small hands you can reach down on the left side of the air box and disconnect the park release cable from the transmission as suggested in the TSB on the subject. It just pulls right off. If you have big hands then you need to remove the air box first.

The only reason you will need this cable is in the event you need to get the trans into neutral if need a tow and your battery is dead or some other transmission malfunction. Just remember in the event you need it you need to reconnect it quick.

We've driven it over 5000 mi with the cable disconnected. No noise no issues.

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
It's located under the air box and battery. If you have small hands you can reach down on the left side of the air box and disconnect the park release cable from the transmission as suggested in the TSB on the subject. It just pulls right off. If you have big hands then you need to remove the air box first.
You're referring to the cable-driven sector/lever arm in these photos?

Ford Bronco Sport On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"... IMG_7565

(lil' space for hands!)

Ford Bronco Sport On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"... IMG_7566

(cable-nose side of actuator lever arm)

Ford Bronco Sport On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"... IMG_7567

(bolt side of actuator lever arm)

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4

The only reason you will need this cable is in the event you need to get the trans into neutral if need a tow and your battery is dead or some other transmission malfunction. Just remember in the event you need it you need to reconnect it quick.

We've driven it over 5000 mi with the cable disconnected. No noise no issues.
Thanks for the detailed info, i will check it out tomo :)

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS, 2018 F150, 2014 Focus, 2013 Escape
You're referring to the cable-driven sector/lever arm in these photos?

Ford Bronco Sport On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"... IMG_7565

(lil' space for hands!)

Ford Bronco Sport On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"... IMG_7566

(cable-nose side of actuator lever arm)

Ford Bronco Sport On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"... IMG_7567

(bolt side of actuator lever arm)
Yep - that's it. You do not need to remove the bolt on the actuator arm. Just pull the cable bushing off the stud connected to the actuator arm. Comes off fairly easy.

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Yep - that's it. You do not need to remove the bolt on the actuator arm. Just pull the cable bushing off the stud connected to the actuator arm. Comes off fairly easy.
OK, no weird noises that I can spot at present, but will keep it in mind. I took the photos so I have some clean engine bay navigation aids before it starts raining (thus bringing mud) out here.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
yeesh knock on wood, i have had zero issues or weird noises from the bronco sport. hope i didn't just jynx it.

yesterday when i started the sport before work, i heard a loud rumble/knock. i froze and was like wtf is that? it just happened that my neighbor fired up his harley at the exact same time i did hahaha.

legit scared the eff outta me for a few seconds.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Passenger Seat Rattle
Went on a 600 mile trip over the weekend, all freeway driving. Some of the roads were pretty bumpy at times. Seems my passenger seat has developed a rattle in the seat hinge. It goes away if you put a bit of pressure on the seat back, pushing it side to side.

Anyone experience this "passenger seat rattle" and fix?

mindleak

Outer Banks
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
So here's my experience with the rattling/grinding-ish noise at low speeds when accelerating and decelerating so far.

I took it in last Tuesday (they still have it right now) and they said it'd be a few days since they were pretty backlogged. No loaners available (service guy said that was like finding a unicorn too, lol), which is fine, I can make it work.

Texted him Friday asking if I could grab a few things out of it if they were going to have it over the weekend. He called back and said they've checked all over and made sure everything was tight and can't find anything wrong. I did give him printouts of the images some of you have shared regarding the bulletin from Ford, but still can't find anything wrong.

He then asked if I had time to go for a short drive with him to point out the exact noise. So we went out, heard the noise. I taught him how to replicate it, he said it was super helpful now that he knows exactly how to do it. It's mostly prominent in Eco mode. He said he's pretty positive it's a relay making a rapid clicking noise since, especially in Eco mode, it's the computer taking over (buffering?) the throttle. It's translating my harder push on the accelerator to softer essentially to try to stay Eco. But he said now that he knows exactly how to make it happen, he's going to take the tech working on it back out so they can hear it.

I also pointed out the "hissing" noise I hear at speed and he said that's the turbo and it's normal.

So while I'm pretty confident they're actually trying to diagnose the and fix the issue, I have a feeling it's going to come back as normal vehicle noises.

They said they're going to check some more things and once they determine everything is fine and the vehicle is safe to drive, I can come pick it up, but he thinks everything is good to go.

Hopefully I'll hear something today, but I feel that it's just going to be a noise I'll have to turn the music up and ignore, lol. I'm not too worried as I have the warranty and if it is a big enough issue they'll issue an official recall for it. At this point I'm just ready to have her back, it's been almost a week and very much miss driving her!

I'll update once I hear back and get the final results.

mindleak

Outer Banks
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
So here's my experience with the rattling/grinding-ish noise at low speeds when accelerating and decelerating so far.

I took it in last Tuesday (they still have it right now) and they said it'd be a few days since they were pretty backlogged. No loaners available (service guy said that was like finding a unicorn too, lol), which is fine, I can make it work.

Texted him Friday asking if I could grab a few things out of it if they were going to have it over the weekend. He called back and said they've checked all over and made sure everything was tight and can't find anything wrong. I did give him printouts of the images some of you have shared regarding the bulletin from Ford, but still can't find anything wrong.

He then asked if I had time to go for a short drive with him to point out the exact noise. So we went out, heard the noise. I taught him how to replicate it, he said it was super helpful now that he knows exactly how to do it. It's mostly prominent in Eco mode. He said he's pretty positive it's a relay making a rapid clicking noise since, especially in Eco mode, it's the computer taking over (buffering?) the throttle. It's translating my harder push on the accelerator to softer essentially to try to stay Eco. But he said now that he knows exactly how to make it happen, he's going to take the tech working on it back out so they can hear it.

I also pointed out the "hissing" noise I hear at speed and he said that's the turbo and it's normal.

So while I'm pretty confident they're actually trying to diagnose the and fix the issue, I have a feeling it's going to come back as normal vehicle noises.

They said they're going to check some more things and once they determine everything is fine and the vehicle is safe to drive, I can come pick it up, but he thinks everything is good to go.

Hopefully I'll hear something today, but I feel that it's just going to be a noise I'll have to turn the music up and ignore, lol. I'm not too worried as I have the warranty and if it is a big enough issue they'll issue an official recall for it. At this point I'm just ready to have her back, it's been almost a week and very much miss driving her!

I'll update once I hear back and get the final results.
So I got her back yesterday with the confirmation that it is that manual release cable. He let me know about the bulletin and gave me a copy of it and told me to check back mid/late-December to see if the fix is officially available yet.

He assured me that it's safe to drive and there's no danger to the vehicle.

Ford also reached out to me via these forums (thank you!) and sent my case up and I was contacted by the SUV support team and they gave me a few options. But in the end, I acknowledged it was a known issue and just waiting on the fix to be available and I was satisfied with the current result.

So in the end I was happy with how it was all handled, even though it was rough without it for a week and no loaners available. I guess we'll see what happens towards the end of the year with hopefully a fix in the works!

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
I think I have the same issue. Is it a quiet grinding noise that sounds like it's coming from the engine right in front of the driver?
Sponsored