Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
Just did the first oil change on my '23 OBX. Discovered the oil drain plug does not need a wrench. It is a plastic screw in type with a O-ring for a gasket. Changed over to full synthetic.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Just did the first oil change on my '23 OBX. Discovered the oil drain plug does not need a wrench. It is a plastic screw in type with a O-ring for a gasket.
Interesting. Everything changes.

Hot Rod Mike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator , Wrangler , Bronco
I also just found that out VERY TURKEY. After I did the oil change I waited for it to leak Lol

ZQ8

Big Bend
First Name
BRAD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport / Big Bend
So what do you tighten it with ?

Phil_R

Badlands
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Jeep Gladiator
Just as an FYI, the 4 cylinder in our Badlands we use a 15MM wrench to loosen the metal oil drain bolt. No plastic on the 2.0 turbo oil pan. The plastic ones are easy to open and close though!

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
So what do you tighten it with ?
I use my teeth. Kidding aside, just snug it with the turn of the fingers. With the O ring, it should seal up easily with a twist of fingers to snug.

I will remove the O ring from the plug, and head over to my local hardware store to buy a few. Then every other oil change, I'll replace the O ring.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
Sure is Plastic !!! This is a pic of my plastic oil pan with plastic plug on a 23 OBX. 1.5

Ford Bronco Sport Oil drain plug IMG_2181

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
I also have the 6.6 quart oil pan on my 2022 Big Bend. One thing to note f you are doing your own oil changes with this pan: The oil does not come out in a nice slow stream, say like a regular pan with a 12-14mm plug. It comes out like a fire house, so be prepared for it. I had oil splashing everywhere as my "usual" oil drain container's opening couldn't even remotely keep up with the flow of warm 0W-20 oil. It will be a bucket from now on. Luckily, I had put a tarp down first. Cheers!

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
I know lube techs are hard as shit on everything, but I would relay to this forum that my local Valvoline refuses to use the drain plug on the BS after cracking two oil pans and having to pay for the parts + labor to replace them instead. They just eVac the oil from the top.

(There are numerous schools of thought on the amount of residue left in the oil pan when using an evac and whether or not with modern high quality oils [particularly high quality full synthetic] if it even matters with their abilities to keep any debris in suspension... not getting into the weeds on that here.)

Anyways, point being, there is some advice here down the page on removing/installing the oil drain plug. It can be difficult to remove if the vehicle is hot. The tabs lock it into place but are not to be moved or flexed, and no tools are to be used for removing or installing the drain plug.

Black Rob

Heritage
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I also have the 6.6 quart oil pan on my 2022 Big Bend. One thing to note f you are doing your own oil changes with this pan: The oil does not come out in a nice slow stream, say like a regular pan with a 12-14mm plug. It comes out like a fire house, so be prepared for it. I had oil splashing everywhere as my "usual" oil drain container's opening couldn't even remotely keep up with the flow of warm 0W-20 oil. It will be a bucket from now on. Luckily, I had put a tarp down first. Cheers!
Same thing happened to me.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Looks like there are 2,539 different plastic plugs and different 2,539 different tools to work them all. What was wrong with a standard thing!? Can't even figure out what tool would be right for BS owners, but I bet it exists.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Thanks to above for the warning on how fast the oil flows out from the oil plug.

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
Good info, thanks for sharing.

ZQ8

Big Bend
First Name
BRAD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport / Big Bend
0W-20 ?

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Here is a video that shows how to remove the drain plug.
Be mindful, the oil will gush out once the drain plug is completely removed.

Sponsored