Off-Roading Poll

Have you driven your Bronco Sport Off-Road?

• Total voters

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport Off-Roading Poll 20210523_125831

Ford Bronco Sport Off-Roading Poll 20210523_132525

Got out there today. Pictures dont do it justice. Still staying out of the rough stuff till I get my new tires.

I went through the different GOAT's in my OB. I tried out Sport because it activates the rear sooner but as I suspected its a bit jumpy for the trails. Normal mode with T/C off worked great. Even used the break hold on some up hill crawling.

However, sand mode "seems" to be perfect. It kept the rear wheels engaged, kept the RPM's and shift points right where I wanted them.
So why is it, all I hear about sand mode is that I shouldn't use it unless I'm in sand and snow? I can't find anything on what it technically does.

Anyone have any insight into this?
Sponsored

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Definitely looking forward to some good skid plates.
Still considering making my own.
Could use the engine splash guard as a template on some plate steel. Some square stock for rocker guards which looks like it would mount easily into the channel that has holes already there.
And then I saw this,

Ford Bronco Sport Off-Roading Poll 20210523_171137

As if it was designed for it, the rear diff has points front and rear, going through each half of the casing that would be perfect for a bent piece of 1/8" plate with a couple of mounting brackets welded on... or I could just wait for the aftermarket stuff...

Thoughts?

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
However, sand mode "seems" to be perfect. It kept the rear wheels engaged, kept the RPM's and shift points right where I wanted them.
So why is it, all I hear about sand mode is that I shouldn't use it unless I'm in sand and snow? I can't find anything on what it technically does.

I believe besides some steering and throttle response changes, sand mode locks the center diff. Rear diff in the 2.0L locks and overdrives the outside wheel when turning.

I think if youā€™ve got too much traction youā€™ll wear things out or overheat the clutches that ā€œlockā€ the diffs.

lbjailer

First Edition
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 F150 Lariat 4X4, Bronco Sport First Edition
Ford Bronco Sport Off-Roading Poll 20210523_125831

Ford Bronco Sport Off-Roading Poll 20210523_132525

Got out there today. Pictures dont do it justice. Still staying out of the rough stuff till I get my new tires.

I went through the different GOAT's in my OB. I tried out Sport because it activates the rear sooner but as I suspected its a bit jumpy for the trails. Normal mode with T/C off worked great. Even used the break hold on some up hill crawling.

I was in sand on a dirt road, put my First Edition into Sand Mode and the back end was swinging out like I was drifting, so I think Traction Control is disabled in sand mode. Slow is ok, but fast in turns not so much.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I believe besides some steering and throttle response changes, sand mode locks the center diff. Rear diff in the 2.0L locks and overdrives the outside wheel when turning.

I think if youā€™ve got too much traction youā€™ll wear things out or overheat the clutches that ā€œlockā€ the diffs.
I wonder how that would translate to the OB in comparison.
With the T/C off and not having lockers I'm having a tough time seeing how it would be all that bad on trails with dirt, gravel and rocks.
Also, with the BL & FE how would it be different than mud mode? So many unanswered questions...

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
I wonder how that would translate to the OB in comparison.
With the T/C off and not having lockers I'm having a tough time seeing how it would be all that bad on trails with dirt, gravel and rocks.
Also, with the BL & FE how would it be different than mud mode? So many unanswered questions...
Someone more knowledgeable is welcome to correct me, but as I understand the steering, throttle response and traction control are a bit different between modes.

I think Iā€™ve read that mud/ruts allows the most wheel spin to clear mud, sand mode more than normal, but not too much to dig in.

Not sure how much the center diff ā€œlocksā€up in mud/ruts, but I know it does in sand and rock crawl modes. I think the idea being that rock is high traction but uneven so youā€™ll periodically let wheels spin. In either mode the diffs unlock past a certain speed, and Iā€™ve read that itā€™s higher in sand mode.

I think with true 4wd lock you just get tire scrub and more driveline stress, but the clutches in our center diff slip if thereā€™s too much stress. The difference in wheel speed is more dramatic left to right across a locked rear or front diff, but locked center is more consistently accumulating it. The front wheels take a longer path around every curve.

It seems like the center diff/PTU on the 1.5 will yell at you if youā€™re doing anything to overheat it though. I also donā€™t know how much of the warning about sand mode is about safe handling vs mechanical damage. Maybe youā€™re more likely to spin out using it on slippery hard surfaces, could definitely see that being the case with the 2.0 overdriving the outside rear wheel. Sand doesnā€™t break loose sideways like ice or gravel over hardback.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I still can't believe I'm actually hitting trails with these stupid tires and putting the rims at risk?
Anyway, just the name bronco is getting me out there so I shouldn't complain.
Ford Bronco Sport Off-Roading Poll 20210525_152938

I just got a link for all the thousands of class VI roads here in New Hampshire so its gonna be a fun summer!

Anyone else here in NH have fun with this!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1VL0wBtQhueg3Qfcv6V6e6JpyqEb-mPto&usp=sharing

Unfortunately a lot of them aren't maintained so I have to make a trail kit with some tree trimming equipment and maybe chainsaw.

I am definitely happy with the compact size and manuverability of the BS more and more on these tight NH trails. There's no way I could be navigating half of it in a bigger rigg. I think I need a winch since I don't know anyone that has a BS or a wrangler to tandem.

Just need some god damn rims & tires!!
Sponsored