OEM Crossbars Hardware

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
That site is great. Thanks. I need to figure out a few more details on the bolt. Like how to input the collar/shoulder and also the thread pitch.
Anybody with. A Tap & Die Set should have a Thread Pitch Gauge in the Set.
Sponsored

Sandman

First Edition
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Bronco Sport
I removed my OEM crossbars and on my attempt to reinstall one bolt stripped. As many of you know a handful of us here have had trouble locating replacements. I’ve gone to 5 places including my dealer and 2 specialty bolt places.
It’s really a shame that @Ford Motor Company doesn’t offer the ability to order bolts and now my $320 crossbars are useless due to a 15 cent bolt
I fully understand your frustration. My high clearance (Sunroof) Crossbars did not last a year. The security Allen bolts kept coming loose. Eventually the bolt heads stripped. The bolts are junk. My lesson is you have to have wrap around bracket roof rack mounts that attach directly to your roof bars much more secure. Now I have no issues.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
Were they backing out, or losing their grip? You can use Loctite on bolts that see a lot of vibration to prevent them backing out on their own.
Just make sure you use the correct Loctite for the application (in this case, probably blue ... definitely NOT red). Cheers!

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I can see how a bolt might get stripped. A while back I wrote about the trouble we had installing ours (and I've been working on mechanical stuff for 50 years).

The mounting design of these is secure -- with "hooks" that fit into slots on the underside of the roof rails. The problem with the installation is that the bolts are not long enough. They cannot be partially backed out far enough to insert the hooks into the slots -- (per the mfr instructions) the bolts must be completely removed, the hooks inserted, and then the bolts reinstalled. Simple, right?

Wrong. The small piece the bolts thread into is recessed, free to move, and it does not 'want' to be in the correct position for the bolt to thread in.

Agg-ra-vation. I've rarely encountered such a poor design. It's a 2-person job, and even then it's difficult because you must guess at the proper position of the threaded piece (using a flashlight to see it), then, assuming that position is correct, it must be held perfectly stationary, while the 2nd person -- working blind -- attempts to get the bolt started, without accidentally moving the threaded piece that is happy to flop around.

What should be a 20 minute job for one person ended up taking two of us about 1-1/2 hours. All of that hassle (and potential for stripped bolts) could be eliminated with bolts that are maybe 5/8" longer.

I agree with those above who suggested contacting the mfr. I don't think we still have the box or instructions, but I'll look. Are there any markings on the bars? You might consider starting a thread with a title asking who makes the OEM crossbars.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
These are a special (specific) bolt and you won’t find this exact configuration at any local store or even Fastenal or Micky Master Carr!
That site is great. Thanks. I need to figure out a few more details on the bolt. Like how to input the collar/shoulder and also the thread pitch.
measure the outer diameter and measure between the peaks. It’s easier to measure across 4 and 5 then divide approximately. Helps if you have a micrometer or calipers.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport OEM Crossbars Hardware IMG_8058
Ford Bronco Sport OEM Crossbars Hardware IMG_8057

this issue isn’t the thread size or length. But what is being referred to as the “shoulder” or “collar”. 2 guys at 2 different shops told me it looks to be manufacturer specific. And I spent 20 mins at the dealership while they looked in the back as well as searched the computer but no listing of the hardware separate from the full kit.
That is considered a dog point body bolt. Not to say it isn’t used elsewhere but it’s a pretty specific application/style. I did a little digging and can’t find an exact duplicate. Can you post a picture of where it goes so I can see the counterbored hole to understand better the function of the collar versus the head.

it’s similar to this one. If you can get a measurement of the head diameter and height along with the collar diameter and height, I might be able to get you close. If you don’t have a micrometer or calipers, perhaps you can take it to your local automotive store and have them check it for you. They should have a means to measure it.

Ford Bronco Sport OEM Crossbars Hardware IMG_1066

Last edited:

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you ever get your issue resolved? I bought that 40.00 cheap set off Amazon and they appear to be an exact duplicate of the 320.00 Ford set. I agree with @sajohnson that the screws are too short to make this easy to do single handed. I measured the screw and have the details if you are still interested. I think I’m going to make my own version starting with a longer bolt with a standard size socket. These are M4 because it’s a low head whereas a standard M6 has a deeper M5 hex socket. I might even try the torx bolts from my 2dr top that I had replaced with a different version.

OP
OP
GulfCoastBronco

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Did you ever get your issue resolved? I bought that 40.00 cheap set off Amazon and they appear to be an exact duplicate of the 320.00 Ford set. I agree with @sajohnson that the screws are too short to make this easy to do single handed. I measured the screw and have the details if you are still interested. I think I’m going to make my own version starting with a longer bolt with a standard size socket. These are M4 because it’s a low head whereas a standard M6 has a deeper M5 hex socket. I might even try the torx bolts from my 2dr top that I had replaced with a different version.
No I never resolved this. I had to take a step back so my frustration didn’t get the better of me. Haha

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No I never resolved this. I had to take a step back so my frustration didn’t get the better of me. Haha
I think it will be a relatively easy fix for you.

Mwittke5857

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Ford Bronco Sport OEM Crossbars Hardware IMG_8058
Ford Bronco Sport OEM Crossbars Hardware IMG_8057

this issue isn’t the thread size or length. But what is being referred to as the “shoulder” or “collar”. 2 guys at 2 different shops told me it looks to be manufacturer specific. And I spent 20 mins at the dealership while they looked in the back as well as searched the computer but no listing of the hardware separate from the full kit.
what you have there is referred to as a (allen head?) "shoulder" bolt, Try Fastenal

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Another option might be to run the stripped bolt through a die, if it isn't too chewed up.

I still think the best option is to find the mfr. If you need me to, I can search for the box and the instructions. They might have the name. I'm not sure I kept them though -- maybe someone else has them handy.
Sponsored