Newbie looking at a BS with some questions.

EMBERIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Hi all, been tossing around between a Maverick, BS and Escape for a new daily and right now leaning to the BS.
As I don't have need for a bed I've mostly ruled out the Maverick.
As I don't like CVT I've ruled out the Escape.

My questions about the BS are these:
  1. Was the Heritage edition ever made with the 2.0T? I see sites saying that but you can't build one on Ford.com and I can't find any 2.0T heritage for sale.
  2. What ways are available to improve its street handling? I won't be doing any off-road other than occasional campground dirt/gravel road and snow in winter. I'll mostly be doing highway/back road driving and I love me a nice twisty road. I know the BS isn't made with autocross in mind and it won't handle near as my 19 GT with FP magneride handling kit, but figured I'd ask.
  3. Is there anything I should be aware of before purchasing? Any well known transmission/engine/suspension issues that have cropped up since its production began?

Thanks!
Sponsored

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The Heritage limited is a 2.0 liter. Basically it's a First Edition/Badlands with a different paint job, interior and white (steely look) wheel rims.
I believe Ford only built 1966 Heritage limiteds ito commemorate the original Bronco , you would have to search the previous year new or used.
The 2.0 liter models look to have fewer issues than the 1.5 models and obviously their are people that dont have any issues.
Search the board for issues people have had with the BS.

I think a lowered street version BS would be nice. Someone on the board put air suspension on theirs and when dropped I really like the look.
Steeda make a cross brace that ties the 2 strut towers together, people that have installed it seem to like it.

Last edited:

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Hi all, been tossing around between a Maverick, BS and Escape for a new daily and right now leaning to the BS.
As I don't have need for a bed I've mostly ruled out the Maverick.
As I don't like CVT I've ruled out the Escape.

1. Was the Heritage edition ever made with the 2.0T? I see sites saying that but you can't build one on Ford.com and I can't find any 2.0T heritage for sale.
  2. What ways are available to improve its street handling? I won't be doing any off-road other than occasional campground dirt/gravel road and snow in winter. I'll mostly be doing highway/back road driving and I love me a nice twisty road. I know the BS isn't made with autocross in mind and it won't handle near as my 19 GT with FP magneride handling kit, but figured I'd ask.
  3. Is there anything I should be aware of before purchasing? Any well known transmission/engine/suspension issues that have cropped up since its production began?

Thanks!
Pretty sure the 1.5 Eco Boost and 2.0 Eco Boost Escapes have an 8 speed automatic like the Bronco Sports not the CVT!!

TNFurb

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I have a 2023 BS Outerbanks which has the 1.5 and I own a 2024 Maverick Lariat Hybrid. I love them both. Since you don’t have need for a bed, then the only reason to go Maverick would be for the hybrid. But the 1.5 liter ecoboost on the BS gets really good MPGs too just not as good as the Maverick Hybrid. I find my BS to be very fun to drive including on winding/twisty roads without any modifications. I prefer the BS over the Escape because of the design. The BS design is so much better to me. But the Escape might have a little better back seat space. I’ve not compared them but the BS back seat is definitely snug. I don’t think you could go wrong with any of your options though. And as someone mentioned you will see all kinds of issues reported on this forum and on the Maverick forum. But there are far more of us that haven’t had issues.

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Ways to improve street handling? Maybe different tires but you'd have to retune the suspension, steering and other things I'm sure I'm unaware of.

The car is a bit of a boat, it wants to roll, but Ford did that with the off road handing in mind.

Things you should know ahead of time...I would say with the 2.0L models the different reviewers have pretty well stated everything you need to know and will hear on here. I think Car and Driver has done a particularly good and spot on review, any problems the car has, they've stated.

DahliaDarlin'

Outer Banks
First Name
Lise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2005 Honda Civic
I've got an Outerbanks with the 1.5. Love driving it. I've taken it over the Adirondacks and back a couple of times now. Inclines, and twisty roads. The Sport handled very well. The turning radius is excellent and seems very similar my old (2005), smaller Honda Civic but has more oomph. The 2.0 would have been nice for a couple of the inclines, but I just didn't need it for every day driving.

Around town, no trouble making tight turns or parking it. I was a bit surprised by how well it does in these situations.

Test drive a Badlands with the 2.0 and take it on some curvy roads. I think you will be surprised by what the Sport can handle "twisty-wise." Of course it is different than a sedan and there will be some lean, not as much as I thought though. Perhaps a bit more with the 2.0 than the 1.5 due to it being a smidge higher.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Test drive a Badlands with the 2.0 and take it on some curvy roads. I think you will be surprised by what the Sport can handle "twisty-wise." Of course it is different than a sedan and there will be some lean, not as much as I thought though. Perhaps a bit more with the 2.0 than the 1.5 due to it being a smidge higher.
Also due to the softer springs. The Badlands suspension is set up for high-speed off-road driving, so the springs are a tad bit taller (for more suspension travel) and softer (to soak up big bumps) than other trims.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

Thanks!
1. The Heritage is 1.5 (based on Big Bend and Outer Banks) and the Heritage Limited is 2.0 (based on Badlands). There were 1,966 Limited made and were to be sold in 2023 and 2024 model years but they sold them all in 2023. Thus, you would need to buy used.
2. Honestly, the best way to improve this vehicle for the streets in the way you are describing it is get the 1.5L and I’d recommend the Outer Banks. But yeah, it’s an SUV that prides itself on driving through streams more than twisty roads so I am not sure this will bring the enjoyment you seek (but still better than a Maverick or Escape).
3. This answer will be anecdotal but in general it is considered a good value and reliable.

OP
OP

EMBERIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Thanks for the opinions and feedback everyone!

for the handling bit I wasn’t really think of anything dramatic, just along the lines of bars, tires, maybe a slight spring drop. I wouldnt want to compromise its abilities to much. Just being more realistic about my driving style and situations.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
What are you driving currently?

SnoopyBroncoSport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Thanks for the opinions and feedback everyone!

for the handling bit I wasn’t really think of anything dramatic, just along the lines of bars, tires, maybe a slight spring drop. I wouldnt want to compromise its abilities to much. Just being more realistic about my driving style and situations.
Coming from a lowered sport suspension mercedes, I was quite surprised with the handling capabilities of my BSBL. If you drop the springs it'll compromise the off road ride height. The BS was meant to be an all purpose on/off road vehicle. If you want better handling, get an escape. If you want all round fun both on and off road, get a BS. Take one for a test drive and see how it handles.
Sponsored