Pudgeroni611

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
I have a new big bend bronco and my tire blew out on highway with 3k miles on it. The tire pressure light it on so I called dealership and brought it in. They said they can’t fix the alert on dashboard without original tire. So I looked at them and said, so put an original tire on. Come to find out, they don’t carry this or that anyone carry’s that. So, I said what about same spare that I put on so I at least have another spare if I get another flat. They don’t have that either. I asked them to order one and they said they looked and can’t find either that is the exact same.
So I am driving around on a brand new bronco 34k truck with a spare tire and no back up.
Any advice as what to do?
Sponsored

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Go to Discount Tire and get what you need. Then take back to dealer to remove the alert. What kind of tire is it? Shouldn't be uncommon if it comes on a BS. Likely just more of the supply chain interruptiions caused by the Wuhan Virus.

OP
OP

Pudgeroni611

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Ford Bronco Sport New bronco, tire blew and dealer can’t find me a tire 2CC7EC5D-0471-4DC6-959F-D8B5C94CB2D9
They said I need an original tire because those tires have something in it that they need to reset the alert?

OP
OP

Pudgeroni611

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Northern California. East bay. This forum has been more help then the dealership. Thank you

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Does tirerack.com have the correct tire? Lot of ppl removing orig wheels tires maybe you can locate some take offs?

MKohlman

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands, Fiesta ST
Ford Bronco Sport New bronco, tire blew and dealer can’t find me a tire 2CC7EC5D-0471-4DC6-959F-D8B5C94CB2D9
They said I need an original tire because those tires have something in it that they need to reset the alert?
That is almost certainly not true. If so no one could replace their tires/wheels with aftermarket ones.

I can only imagine that the dealer is referring to the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor), which is attached to the backside of the tire stem on the wheel. There is a process where those sensors are "mated" or "trained" to connect to your vehicle and it is that sensor that tells your Bronco Sport when the tire pressure is low. But those sensors are tire-independent and will function correctly with any tire as long the air pressure is correct.

In addition, if the sensor fails, it can be replaced with a new sensor, which can also be "mated" or "trained" to connect to your BS with a tool that the dealer has (or you can get yourself, they don't cost much). Otherwise you'd be kind of S.O.L. if the original sensor failed. While I've not done this on my Badlands yet, I do own one of the training tools and have done it on other Fords many times.

Now, having a different brand/type of tire than the other 3 would definitely be a safety issue, and if a replacement tire cannot be located, that's not good. But the system itself is not tire-specific.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
That is almost certainly not true. If so no one could replace their tires/wheels with aftermarket ones.

I can only imagine that the dealer is referring to the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor), which is attached to the backside of the tire stem on the wheel. There is a process where those sensors are "mated" or "trained" to connect to your vehicle and it is that sensor that tells your Bronco Sport when the tire pressure is low. But those sensors are tire-independent and will function correctly with any tire as long the air pressure is correct.

In addition, if the sensor fails, it can be replaced with a new sensor, which can also be "mated" or "trained" to connect to your BS with a tool that the dealer has (or you can get yourself, they don't cost much). Otherwise you'd be kind of S.O.L. if the original sensor failed. While I've not done this on my Badlands yet, I do own one of the training tools and have done it on other Fords many times.

Now, having a different brand/type of tire than the other 3 would definitely be a safety issue, and if a replacement tire cannot be located, that's not good. But the system itself is not tire-specific.
Correct, the only reason you can't put on a different tire from the others is safety, which as long as the tread pattern is fairly similar is not that big of an issue.

OP
OP

Pudgeroni611

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
that’s exactly what it is and they said they have a spare for my spare but it’s not even the same spare

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
There may even be a way in your BS to program the TPS . The TPS reset tool may be model specific , but I think they don't know what they are doing or feeding you some BS .

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
There are other vehicles where the TPMS requires exact match tires, my 2017 CRV was one. No sensor on the valve stem, just works off wheel speed. Had to replace a tire with a used one with the same wear, real pain in the butt.

Bronco sport has valve sensors. If you put one drastically different tire on, ABS or traction control might complain, but no reason TPMS can’t be reset.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
On my "14 CRV tire place says all the tires have to match cause wheel speed is used to trigger low tire pressure.

MKohlman

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands, Fiesta ST
On my "14 CRV tire place says all the tires have to match cause wheel speed is used to trigger low tire pressure.
One of the reasons why that approach isn't real popular. Runs Honda a bit less in manufacturing costs but creates some real headaches if you damage a tire. ?

A quick check against the service instructions for the Bronco Sport seems to confirm that the TPMS system "trains" the same way as most all of their vehicles:

Ford Bronco Sport New bronco, tire blew and dealer can’t find me a tire BroncoSportTPMS
Sponsored

Last edited: