jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
I see a lot of the prevalence of trying rough stretches in normal mode as emphasizing that it's a full time four wheel drive (albeit with a strong front wheel drive bias) even in normal mode. I do think it's important to point out that even for offroad driving, the goat modes are mostly a "enable temporarily as needed" as opposed to "stop, put it in 4-high for the entire trail" like you would with a "normal" part-time 4WD vechicle.

Given the (very real, but over-emphasized) drawbacks of the PTU + rear clutch vs a transfer case + mechanical locker, you really don't want to lock things (either PTU or diff) for very long periods of time to avoid overheating. One big advantage of this system is that you can change "on the fly" without stopping for sections of trail where you're likely to need it and not lose momentum. If you switch it to rock crawl mode or mud/ruts mode and try to drive 20 miles in that mode, you're likely to overheat things. (Those are the two that lock the PTU and/or rear clutch.) Instead, leave it in normal for most of the trail and toggle it on when you get to a rough stretch. 'Course, toggling it on before you get stuck makes a ton more sense, and they never seem to do that in these videos...

Regardless, the roller tests are a really nice demonstration of how it all works and how the different modes affect things.
Sponsored

Last edited:

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
I don't doubt what you're saying. But, I've literally heard reviewers calling the GOAT modes gimmicks.

Either way, it's refreshing to see the Bronco Sport more than holding its own.
For sure. There are reviewers who are idiots. TFL is pretty solid though. I actually liked that they showed on the rollers what the actual difference is with rock crawl vs normal mode. I’m still confused about what sand mode does though.

henry16

Badlands
First Name
henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
don't care what they say but my BS badlands is a head turner on the streets/freeway. And whenever I park on public places people would stare and give compliments

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
For sure. There are reviewers who are idiots. TFL is pretty solid though. I actually liked that they showed on the rollers what the actual difference is with rock crawl vs normal mode. I’m still confused about what sand mode does though.
Rock crawl doesn't allow any slip, sand mode will allow slit so you can paddle through the sand. Automatic will fairly quickly stop any slipping but not as fast as rock.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
The reason they test Auto first is most of your all wheel drive systems don't clamp down a slip nearly as fast or at all. It's good to know how reliable your auto mode is.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I disagree. They aren’t trying to prove that it’s a gimmick, but it is more capable than any previous vehicle in its class. They are surprised by it because it is surprising. There is a reason Subaru just released a new off road version of the outback. Ford has broken new ground here, and reviewers and the industry are beginning to realize it.
That's just marketing b*******. Zero new ground has been broken here everything that's in the Bronco Jeep has been doing going back to at least 2014. I honestly don't know how long they've been in Jeeps I just know that's when the new version of the Cherokee came out and it had all these features plus low range option. If you go higher end Land Rover has been doing forever.

As for the bullshit "class", the wheelbase in the Sport is closer to the Cherokee than the Renegade. It's also the same price.

I don't know when Jeep put those options in their Compass and Renegade. The difference is these are cheaper vehicles that have smaller engines.

Last edited:

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I disagree. They aren’t trying to prove that it’s a gimmick, but it is more capable than any previous vehicle in its class. They are surprised by it because it is surprising. There is a reason Subaru just released a new off road version of the outback. Ford has broken new ground here, and reviewers and the industry are beginning to realize it.
Yes and no; do they test Bronco or Wrangler or Toyotas, etc. in RWD and disable all of the off-road goodies (air suspension, big tires, 4WD/lock, rear diff lock, etc. etc.)?

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The reason they test Auto first is most of your all wheel drive systems don't clamp down a slip nearly as fast or at all. It's good to know how reliable your auto mode is.
So -- they are more interested in testing the Sport against its presumed "real" competition -- other not real 4WD, not real off-road "softroaders" that they don't expect to be able to do any off-road/4WD chores like the "real" 4WD/off-road vehicles. Weren't they surprised, and didn't they have to eat their words.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
So -- they are more interested in testing the Sport against its presumed "real" competition -- other not real 4WD, not real off-road "softroaders" that they don't expect to be able to do any off-road/4WD chores like the "real" 4WD/off-road vehicles. Weren't they surprised, and didn't they have to eat their words.
They're surprised because no other manufacturer sells a vehicle this capable below 40K, other than Jeep. Most of the time when you see reviews testing off-road systems they always start with the base mode before turning on the more advanced off-road features.

It really is a standard practice to start an auto and see how far you can get.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Yes and no; do they test Bronco or Wrangler or Toyotas, etc. in RWD and disable all of the off-road goodies (air suspension, big tires, 4WD/lock, rear diff lock, etc. etc.)?
Yeah typically you see how far I can get it and slowly turn on the features to see how much farther they extend.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
That's just marketing b*******. Zero new ground has been broken here everything that's in the Bronco Jeep has been doing going back to at least 2014. I honestly don't know how long they've been in Jeeps I just know that's when the new version of the Cherokee came out and it had all these features plus low range option. If you go higher end Land Rover has been doing forever.

As for the bullshit "class", the wheelbase in the Sport is closer to the Cherokee than the Renegade. It's also the same price.

I don't know when Jeep put those options in their Compass and Renegade. The difference is these are cheaper vehicles that have smaller engines.
The BS BL is more capable than the Renegade Trailhawk; most all reviewers do not put the Sport (any version) in the same "class" with the Cherokee Trailhawk. While the Cherokee may usually get past the Badlands at some point along the trail, the Badlands is a far better vehicle overall in my book, especially for daily use. That *is* "groundbreaking."

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
And by the way the guy roaming in this video he's a dick about anything that's not a true off-roader not just this Bronco. He's a huge Jeep fan and talks the same way about the Cherokee.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
The BS BL is more capable than the Renegade Trailhawk; most all reviewers do not put the Sport (any version) in the same "class" with the Cherokee Trailhawk. While the Cherokee may usually get past the Badlands at some point along the trail, the Badlands is a far better vehicle overall in my book, especially for daily use. That *is* "groundbreaking."
It should be more capable of costs 6 to 10 grand more than a renegade Trailhawk.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yeah typically you see how far I can get it and slowly turn on the features to see how much farther they extend.
I think that's a pretty broad statement, but I don't have the comprehensive tests survey to say one way or another. I'm sure it's expected any truck in RWD isn't going to get anywhere very far. I haven't seen such tests (in RWD), but admit I've been pretty focused elsewhere.
Sponsored