tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
And by the way the guy roaming in this video he's a dick about anything that's not a true off-roader not just this Bronco. He's a huge Jeep fan and talks the same way about the Cherokee.
I think Roman generally likes the Defender, exept for quality issues; and I think he's jazzed about the upcoming Bronco. He seems to like the Toyotas too. He does say the seating/interior dimensions are uncomfortable in the Wrangler. But yeah, Wrangler for capabilities, why not?

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
For sure. There are reviewers who are idiots. TFL is pretty solid though. I actually liked that they showed on the rollers what the actual difference is with rock crawl vs normal mode. I’m still confused about what sand mode does though.
I believe Sand mode is similar to rock crawl; disables stability control and locks 4WD, but DOES NOT lock the rear "diff." I'd guess handles throttle inputs and steering differently. Among other things -- or I could be wrong/remembering incorrectly. In Sand mode, they want to allow the wheels to spin (I think independently in the rear also, as needed).

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
We have to cut journalist like these a break. The BS is rewriting the definition of a soft roader. I knew it, when I read the specs the first time. The BS BL is too off road worth to be called a soft roader, but because it not on frame and it doesn't have a true locking diff, that the category it is put in. I like thing that break molds and the BS is doing that nicely.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I own a BroncoII, I've always called it a "baby Bronco". I called the first gen I had a "Bronco" and the second gen a "big Bronco".

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
That's just marketing b*******. Zero new ground has been broken here everything that's in the Bronco Jeep has been doing going back to at least 2014. I honestly don't know how long they've been in Jeeps I just know that's when the new version of the Cherokee came out and it had all these features plus low range option. If you go higher end Land Rover has been doing forever.

As for the bullshit "class", the wheelbase in the Sport is closer to the Cherokee than the Renegade. It's also the same price.

I don't know when Jeep put those options in their Compass and Renegade. The difference is these are cheaper vehicles that have smaller engines.
The BS has better gas mileage and better suspension than the jeep. As far as off road capabilities, I challenge you to find a place a stock Cherokee can go where my Badlands can’t. The BS blows the renegade and Compass out of the water both on and off road. I took my BS off roading and was surrounded by hundreds of modified trucks, SUVs, ATVs and SxSs. You know what I didn’t see? Excluding some lifted XJs, I didn’t see a single Cherokee, Compass, or Renegade.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
We have to cut journalist like these a break. The BS is rewriting the definition of a soft roader. I knew it, when I read the specs the first time. The BS BL is too off road worth to be called a soft roader, but because it not on frame and it doesn't have a true locking diff, that the category it is put in. I like thing that break molds and the BS is doing that nicely.
TFL generally has praise for the Grand Cherokee...also a "softroader" *by definition*. MANY "true" or "real" off-roader/SUVS have NO front or rear locking diff. Today, more and more will have IS at 2 or 4 wheels too. The lowest common denominator (for "true" believers) is really the ability to physically lock it in 4H or 4L -- *that's it*. Unless discounting every unibody on the planet because, why? Load capacity? Towing? Are we talking about off-road, or work trucks? One of the most popular off-roaders out there is the cheap little Suzuki Jimny -- check that out.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Maybe not on the roller pads but my 2004 AWD escape would handle all the trail conditions shown here.
Alas not any more as it's just 2wd now and cannot be repaired. Rotary blade couplers are not made anymore..

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
TFL generally has praise for the Grand Cherokee...also a "softroader" *by definition*. MANY "true" or "real" off-roader/SUVS have NO front or rear locking diff. Today, more and more will have IS at 2 or 4 wheels too. The lowest common denominator (for "true" believers) is really the ability to physically lock it in 4H or 4L -- *that's it*. Unless discounting every unibody on the planet because, why? Load capacity? Towing? Are we talking about off-road, or work trucks? One of the most popular off-roaders out there is the cheap little Suzuki Jimny -- check that out.
Most people who are picky about what is a “true off roader” use a definition that would exclude this car.

Ford Bronco Sport New Bronco Sport "Torture Test" TFL Off-Road Review 785CE03F-CAA4-455E-9F41-F5C28F011D60

Those people are full of crap.

Edit: This car has 2WD, independent suspension, no locking diff, no low range.

Last edited:

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
I disagree. They aren’t trying to prove that it’s a gimmick, but it is more capable than any previous vehicle in its class. They are surprised by it because it is surprising. There is a reason Subaru just released a new off road version of the outback. Ford has broken new ground here, and reviewers and the industry are beginning to realize it.
I can't tell if Subaru's response is pathetic or a decent one. I respect the turbo they put in it but still sticking with the CVT for a "wilderness" vehicle is a terrible choice. They really just need to upgrade that to an automatic and get a dual-clutch in the rear and they might have a fighting chance against ford. Subaru's approach is more of a marketing stance than a mechanical in my opinion

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
I can't tell if Subaru's response is pathetic or a decent one. I respect the turbo they put in it but still sticking with the CVT for a "wilderness" vehicle is a terrible choice. They really just need to upgrade that to an automatic and get a dual-clutch in the rear and they might have a fighting chance against ford. Subaru's approach is more of a marketing stance than a mechanical in my opinion
You have to respect the 10 inches of ground clearance though.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Maybe not on the roller pads but my 2004 AWD escape would handle all the trail conditions shown here.
Alas not any more as it's just 2wd now and cannot be repaired. Rotary blade couplers are not made anymore..
You have to respect the 10 inches of ground clearance though.
Yep, but it doesn't erase ugly and the CVT.
Sponsored