wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have a 2021 Badlands I bought used in January. It came from the factory with the EFB, not an AGM battery.

I've been having issues a lot with the start stop not working, even with the battery fully charged since I've owned it.

In May before my vacation, I tried to get my service dept. to check the battery and requested a load test. They told me all was fine.

Even driving 500 miles in 1 day and assuming it was fully charged, the S/S wouldn't work.

5 days ago I fully charged the battery myself. 2 days later voltage was at 12.2 volts, considered a 50% S.O.C.

Took it in Tuesday and said check it again. Their electrical tech was backed up on work so it sat for a day before testing. Conclusion, bad battery. No crap.

They had to order a battery, none in stock. It was replaced with a Motorcraft AGM. Everything works great again.

A side note, with my PremiumCare extended warranty I'm allowed a rental car. Enterprise gave me a 2021 Mustang
convertible. 2.3L turbo. My dealer requires that anytime they do warranty work, Enterprise has to give me a Ford, nothing else. My choice was the Mustang or an Expedition.

Mustang, noisy, think it had an exhaust leak, hard to get in and out of, doors as big as barn doors. Made me realize what a great vehicle my Badlands really is and how much I enjoy driving it.
Sponsored

BigPhatPaulie

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I just had my EFB battery swapped with a Interstate AGM at my local mechanic (ford couldnt get me in soon enough) and the s/s issue was resolved for me as well (22 BL)

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have a 2021 Badlands I bought used in January. It came from the factory with the EFB, not an AGM battery.

I've been having issues a lot with the start stop not working, even with the battery fully charged since I've owned it.

In May before my vacation, I tried to get my service dept. to check the battery and requested a load test. They told me all was fine.

Even driving 500 miles in 1 day and assuming it was fully charged, the S/S wouldn't work.

5 days ago I fully charged the battery myself. 2 days later voltage was at 12.2 volts, considered a 50% S.O.C.

Took it in Tuesday and said check it again. Their electrical tech was backed up on work so it sat for a day before testing. Conclusion, bad battery. No crap.

They had to order a battery, none in stock. It was replaced with a Motorcraft AGM. Everything works great again.

A side note, with my PremiumCare extended warranty I'm allowed a rental car. Enterprise gave me a 2021 Mustang
convertible. 2.3L turbo. My dealer requires that anytime they do warranty work, Enterprise has to give me a Ford, nothing else. My choice was the Mustang or an Expedition.

Mustang, noisy, think it had an exhaust leak, hard to get in and out of, doors as big as barn doors. Made me realize what a great vehicle my Badlands really is and how much I enjoy driving it.
Yes. Failed lead acid batteries are a common problem with BS's. The one in my 21 BL failed in 18 months. I was disappointed the 23 BL I bought in Sept. also has a lead acid battery. Ford needs to get current technology batteries in the Sport. I carry a jump box and battery cables for this reason, but neither worked when the battery failed on the 21 BL.

OP
OP
wireman

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Yes. Failed lead acid batteries are a common problem with BS's. The one in my 21 BL failed in 18 months. I was disappointed the 23 BL I bought in Sept. also has a lead acid battery. Ford needs to get current technology batteries in the Sport. I carry a jump box and battery cables for this reason, but neither worked when the battery failed on the 21 BL.
I carry a jump box also. I had a 2018 Escape Platinum. I could tell the battery was going south.

Not even 2 years old and it was an AGM. I waited a day to long to replace it. It failed completely.

Replaced under warranty. My brother has a 2018 Chevy Equinox and it still had the original battery.

I've had 3 Escapes and now the BL with a lot of battery problems. Ford issue? Who knows for sure.

OP
OP
wireman

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Do batteries fall under a warranty item?
They fall under the factory 3 year, 36 month warranty. If you had one replaced under warranty, say at 32 months, the replaced battery warranty is good for only 4 months.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
They fall under the factory 3 year, 36 month warranty. If you had one replaced under warranty, say at 32 months, the replaced battery warranty is good for only 4 months.
Cost if bought and installed by Ford Service?

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
I carry a jump box also. I had a 2018 Escape Platinum. I could tell the battery was going south.

Not even 2 years old and it was an AGM. I waited a day to long to replace it. It failed completely.

Replaced under warranty. My brother has a 2018 Chevy Equinox and it still had the original battery.

I've had 3 Escapes and now the BL with a lot of battery problems. Ford issue? Who knows for sure.
I have been driving an Equinox for work since 2017. Have had a 2017, and had two 2020’s. Drove 85k on the 2017, 28k and 65k on the 2020 models. Never an issue. Have a 2023 Traverse right now. Dead battery under 20k miles. It’s a supplier issue for sure, but not related to Ford alone.

39k miles on my BS with original battery.

OP
OP
wireman

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have been driving an Equinox for work since 2017. Have had a 2017, and had two 2020’s. Drove 85k on the 2017, 28k and 65k on the 2020 models. Never an issue. Have a 2023 Traverse right now. Dead battery under 20k miles. It’s a supplier issue for sure, but not related to Ford alone.

39k miles on my BS with original battery.
Or an undersized battery for the requirements of today's vehicles.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Not sure what you mean here.
Just wondering what the cost of the AGM battery was at Ford service installed but I see you had a warranty replacement.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Just wondering what the cost of the AGM battery was at Ford service installed but I see you had a warranty replacement.
If the battery is replaced under warrany the dealer service department does a bit more than just swap out the battery, Ford isn't in the business of giving out free parts.
The service department has to check out the electrical system and test the original battery to prove that the battery is the problem before they will replace it.

I had my battery replaced under warranty, My Badlands came with a FoMoCo lead acid battery, when it started to fail I was having all kinds of electrical faults, random stalling, random no start and non functioning auto start stop. It was replaced with the Motorcraft AGM.

The MSRP for the Motorcraft AGM P/N BAGM48H6760 is $224.95 at Ford parts .com
I did see the same Motorcraft battery at RockAuto.com for $159.89.

I would imagine if you had Ford service do the R&R including the cost of the battery it would be at least $300.00, as they would also have to reset the BMS.

OP
OP
wireman

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
If the battery is replaced under warrany the dealer service department does a bit more than just swap out the battery, Ford isn't in the business of giving out free parts.
The service department has to check out the electrical system and test the original battery to prove that the battery is the problem before they will replace it.

I had my battery replaced under warranty, My Badlands came with a FoMoCo lead acid battery, when it started to fail I was having all kinds of electrical faults, random stalling, random no start and non functioning auto start stop. It was replaced with the Motorcraft AGM.

The MSRP for the Motorcraft AGM P/N BAGM48H6760 is $224.95 at Ford parts .com
I did see the same Motorcraft battery at RockAuto.com for $159.89.

I would imagine if you had Ford service do the R&R including the cost of the battery it would be at least $300.00, as they would also have to reset the BMS.
I also read somewhere that if the battery is disconnected that you have to do a steering angle relearn and a window bounce back reset also.
Sponsored