My impressions

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
My local dealer had a cactus gray big bend and an Area 51 badlands. Unfortunately these were both in the show room so I didnt get to drive either.

Colors:
Cactus gray is not for me. It definitely has the green tint. If you are fan of that, then you will like it. Area 51 was ok. I’d have to see this one in different lights before I’d decide on it. It looks good when it’s overcast though.

Wheels:
The badlands had the optional wheels and tires. I’m not a fan of the steelies look so I probably wouldn’t get them, but they look better in person then they do in the pics. Tires looked good. The big bend also had the optional wheels. They looked good too. The size of the tires didn’t look that different, but the badlands looked much more aggressive.

Interior:
I didn’t think the interior felt cheap. The gauge cluster on the big bend was a bit underwhelming and could be considered cheap but that was about it. The badlands had the same gauge cluster as that comes standard on the explorer. It’s nice and has a large screen. The hard plastics have a nice texture on them. The badlands had the badlands package on it. The leather seats look much better in person. They are darker than you’ve seen in the pics. I didn’t realize that the trims had different seats. The badlands seats seemed more comfortable and also had larger side bolsters. The seating position was a bit strange to me. It seemed much lower than my current escape. This was especially noticeable since I had just finished a 3 hour drive in my escape before going to the dealership. It’s possible that this was an optical illusion due to the longer and higher hood of the sport along with the smaller windshield. I was expecting it to feel higher based off some other reviews but that was not my experience. Like I said above, the hood is long and you do see it from the drivers seat (I can’t see the hood of my escape). You will be glad you have the front camera if you get the badlands. The rear seat was about what I expected. Sitting behind myself, it would be an uncomfortable place to sit for long rides but bearable on short trips. My knees were pushed into the back of the drivers seat (I’m 6’1). If you are under six foot or just spread your legs when you sit, you will be fine. I liked the storage compartment under the back seat, but wish it was a little deeper. I don’t know exactly how deep it was, but it seemed like it was only an inch or two.

Sorry, didn’t get any pics but I think you guys will like it.
Sponsored

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
What do you mean by Area 51 was ok? Was it darker than the pictures? How does it look on the vehicle ?

OP
OP

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
It seemed a bit darker, but again it was overcast and rainy so it was hard to really tell. I’ve seen a bunch of pictures where it looks pretty light so I’d want to see it on a sunny day before I made a decision.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
I didn’t realize that the trims had different seats. The badlands seats seemed more comfortable and also had larger side bolsters.
That IS interesting - another reason that the BL+BL is the best way to go, I guess....

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
We went by a local dealer today that has an Outer Banks and a Big Bend. We heard them telling another customer that the Outer Banks was in the detailing shop and not available to view, but the Big Bend was outside on display. We didn't ask about test driving as they had a promotional Bronco tent around it. It was Shadow Black.

I thought that it was comfortable and I liked the dash and instrumentation. Nice dash storage areas for phone and such. I thought it appeared to be a good value, the fit and finish looked great.
This one was had the 360+, the optional wheels, cargo management, and all-weather mats.

If one (Big Bend) shows up optioned similarly in a color I would want, I will certainly test drive it with the intent to purchase. I does remind me a lot of my beloved old Escape, yet modernized.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can someone confirm:
There is NO homelink or any type of GDO on the Bronco Sport, right? Even on the highest trim levels?

Traceee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru
We went by a local dealer today that has an Outer Banks and a Big Bend. We heard them telling another customer that the Outer Banks was in the detailing shop and not available to view, but the Big Bend was outside on display. We didn't ask about test driving as they had a promotional Bronco tent around it. It was Shadow Black.

I thought that it was comfortable and I liked the dash and instrumentation. Nice dash storage areas for phone and such. I thought it appeared to be a good value, the fit and finish looked great.
This one was had the 360+, the optional wheels, cargo management, and all-weather mats.

If one (Big Bend) shows up optioned similarly in a color I would want, I will certainly test drive it with the intent to purchase. I does remind me a lot of my beloved old Escape, yet modernized.
I agree the one I saw today at my dealership reminded me of the older square Escape. I was expecting to see something that looked like the Jeep Renegade but instead I saw the old Escape. We drove through the dealership creeping around in the rain and found it sitting off to the side waiting to get driven into the show room. Gorgeous black Badlands with black and brown leather interior MSRP $36,000. I hopped in for just a minute, and wow. The dash lit up beautiful to see, comfy seats and bolstering, I wouldn’t say plush, but really sharp. You brave people who pre-ordered will be not be disappointed, I’m excited for you. The exterior is just gorgeous and the vehicle did seem somewhat familiar.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree the one I saw today at my dealership reminded me of the older square Escape. I was expecting to see something that looked like the Jeep Renegade but instead I saw the old Escape.
That's a relief. I own a 2010 Boxy Escape and like a lot of things about it - if the B/S is an improved boxy Escape, and farther from a Renegade, that's exactly what I like to hear....

OP
OP

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
That's a relief. I own a 2010 Boxy Escape and like a lot of things about it - if the B/S is an improved boxy Escape, and farther from a Renegade, that's exactly what I like to hear....
If you are a fan of the old boxy escape, you will love the bronco sport. I think it was similar in size too.

Ponds

First Edition
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Can someone confirm:
There is NO homelink or any type of GDO on the Bronco Sport, right? Even on the highest trim levels?
Correct, none of the Bronco Sport trims or optional packages have the universal garage door opener.

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3

Thank you for the Escape comment. I loved my 2001 Escape. I was hoping the Bronco Sport would be similar, but updated.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Thank you for the Escape comment. I loved my 2001 Escape. I was hoping the Bronco Sport would be similar, but updated.
I drove an Escape for almost 270,000 miles, and kept driving it a while after buying myself two new vehicles to replace it. I only reluctantly sold it as it was impractical for me to have three vehicles to myself.

I originally purchased my Escape in '06 when gasoline prices surged to $4.50/gallon it to replace my 4WD truck, which had become prohibitively expensive to use as a commuter. I used the Escape with a utility trailer quite effectively for getting my dirtbike to the woods, home projects, mulch, rock and so forth. I got a lot of work done and had a lots of good adventures with the Escape,. It greatly exceeded my expectations. Useful, fun, easy to maneuver in tight areas. The rear flip window and other things are sorely missed.

The CX-5 I originally purchased to replace the Escape with was a great commuter, but I never put a hitch on it as it seemed too soft for the fire-roads, towing and such. It was a great road-driving crossover, but not suitable for all of my needs. To compliment the CX-5, I bought a Chevrolet Colorado that has served me well for utility, is quiet and smooth for a truck, but is rather boring to drive.

The Bronco Sport, especially after seeing it in person, is the modern reincarnation of the pre-jellybean Escape. As I said above, I have enough time in an Escape to know them, and both my wife and I agreed that the Sport reminded us a lot of my Escape, but better (except for not having a manual tranny).

I will likely consolidate back to one vehicle. I am pretty optimistic that the Sport will be exactly what I need. I was briefly tempted by the Bronco for the manual transmission, but I don't need that much ruggedness, like swinging a big tire out of the way to get something out of the back.

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
I drove an Escape for almost 270,000 miles, and kept driving it a while after buying myself two new vehicles to replace it. I only reluctantly sold it as it was impractical for me to have three vehicles to myself.

I originally purchased my Escape in '06 when gasoline prices surged to $4.50/gallon it to replace my 4WD truck, which had become prohibitively expensive to use as a commuter. I used the Escape with a utility trailer quite effectively for getting my dirtbike to the woods, home projects, mulch, rock and so forth. I got a lot of work done and had a lots of good adventures with the Escape,. It greatly exceeded my expectations. Useful, fun, easy to maneuver in tight areas. The rear flip window and other things are sorely missed.

The CX-5 I originally purchased to replace the Escape with was a great commuter, but I never put a hitch on it as it seemed too soft for the fire-roads, towing and such. It was a great road-driving crossover, but not suitable for all of my needs. To compliment the CX-5, I bought a Chevrolet Colorado that has served me well for utility, is quiet and smooth for a truck, but is rather boring to drive.

The Bronco Sport, especially after seeing it in person, is the modern reincarnation of the pre-jellybean Escape. As I said above, I have enough time in an Escape to know them, and both my wife and I agreed that the Sport reminded us a lot of my Escape, but better (except for not having a manual tranny).

I will likely consolidate back to one vehicle. I am pretty optimistic that the Sport will be exactly what I need. I was briefly tempted by the Bronco for the manual transmission, but I don't need that much ruggedness, like swinging a big tire out of the way to get something out of the back.
Those Escapes were great. Fit my every need. I got 378,000 miles on mine. Not one problem till the very end. It was the rust that made me decide it was time. I hear it's still on the road. Got a Forester because I had friends who loved their Subarus. Eh, it's ok. But I can't wait for my Outer Banks. Due in the beginning of January.
When they first came out with Sport dimensions, the first thing I did was compare it to a 2001 Escape. I was afraid the sport was going to be a renegade. ?
The only thing I wish is that the Sport could tow what those old Escapes could tow.
Sponsored