Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The seats are probably great if you are 5’5” however if you are 6’2” @ 250lbs it’s like travelling on a bar stool. After the windshield glass, this is number 2 on my list of dislikes! If you have not had a crack in your your windshield yet.. it’s coming!
I think it has more to do with thigh length and what you're used to. I'm a 6'3" @ 195 and I'm perfectly comfortable with my Badlands driver seat. My wife is 5'4" and is fine with the passenger seat.
Sponsored

Uncle Buck

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Not to further hijack this thread any further to be about paint chips, but...

My first new-from-the-dealer car was a 1979 Scout II, which, like the BS has all the dynamics of a shoebox. I dealt with paint chips from the day I bought it. And don't get me started about windshields. So we drove the BSBL as little as humanly possible until we could get it in for paint protection work. The vendor here in St. Louis for XPEL is an absolute artist. He covered virtually everything forward of the A-pillar - hood, fenders, grill, even the "BRONCO" letters. And you can't even tell it's there unless you search for the edges in the grill. Then he did ceramic coating on the entire car, including over the XPEL. The dealer had already stuck the hood protector on the car to ring up some extra $$ (we bought it off the lot) but we have since driven it a good bot and it seems that the paint protection film is living up to the promises. I can't recommend it enough!

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
(TL;DR: I like the car, just wish the seats were longer)

This is my first new car and I've always had family hand me downs before this (Chevy S10, Jeep Wrangler, Chevy Silverado 1500, Volvo V70) and it would be my only car. I was looking for something in this class to go fly fishing with and be my daily driver and go anywhere car. I was also certain I didn't want a car with CVT. I have driven a lot of rental cars with it and its not something I wanted to spend money on. When I heard the BroncoSport had a true 8spd auto I was interested and things went from there. I decided to get the Badlands model because at the time I ordered the car, the price difference between the Badlands and OB was less than it is now and for the increased price there were some notable improvements including the engine etc.

So the car is a 2022 BroncoSport Badlands with Premium Package.

Overall:
After a year I still find myself enjoying the car. The engine is performing well, the interior is still attractive, the sightlines are good and I really haven't had any notable issues to date. I've taken it on several long trips and it’s done well. Even at high speeds up passes this car still pulls despite being shaped like a brick. Its a solid and I'm happy to be making payments on it until I pay off the bank 4yrs from now. After that I plan on keeping it long term.

I have taken this car on the dirt as well. I've done some light trail driving here in Southern California and have been impressed with the AWD system and have had to use the electronic lockers. I've taken it to the Eastern Sierra as well and had some fun up there while fly fishing and finding stupid things to do with the car. Got some time on the trails in Montana as well.

The Good:
The Engine: The 2.0 is proving to be a really good little powerplant. I believe its rated at 250HP and 280. The torque is noticeable when going up the passes and when the car is fully loaded. On the way to Montana I had the dogs in the back and the roof basket was fully loaded. No issues there. On the way back from Montana my brother hopped in the passenger seat and the car was a full as it can be. Again no issues at highway speeds or passing. The engine is good.
The Size: I actually like the small size of the car. Most of the driving I do is around town in North County San Diego and having a small car is simply a beneficial thing between the traffic and parking lots.
Sightlines: This car is easy to see out of and I would simply not enjoy a car with bad sightlines. It’s so important for safety to be able to see around you and know whats around you and doing that in this car is easy to do.
The Looks: Still looks good after a year and I think it'll age well.

The Not So Good:
The Seats: For me the seats simply aren't long enough. I have long femurs I guess and I find myself wanting an extension for the bottom portion of the seat. My legs have gotten used to but it remains noticeable on a daily basis.
The Gas Mileage: One of the know tradeoffs of the 2.0L engine is that the gas mileage isn't as a good as the 1.5L. For me I'm getting about 17.5mpg in the city and at highway speeds I'm getting the expected 25mpg about. Keep in mind San Diego is horrible for gas mileage. Imagine constant hilly stop and go traffic. You hardly ever get to go mile really even, at best 3 without being stopped at some light somewhere on some hill. Now at highway speeds the gas mileage is fine so long as you keep the speeds below 70. If you want to hypermile and take your time on a road trip cool. Apparently I'd rather get there a little sooner and spend more on go juice. Its opportunity cost at the end of the day.

Takeaways:
For a subcompact SUV this car is really enjoyable. Instead of being like the rest of the cars in its class, the BroncoSport Badlands offers something more capable more fun than its colleagues. No it’s not a true off-roader but no one buys a BroncoSport intending to go rock crawling. But the car will take you anywhere you want to go and will remain exciting while doing it. It has its drawbacks of course, but compared to its rivals, the Sport remains fun and I'm genuinely happy to have ordered one.

Ford Bronco Sport My experiences with my 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands after 1 year and 11,100 miles 6ABEC4FF-922D-4152-B1DF-BD8BE1875828_1_201_a

Ford Bronco Sport My experiences with my 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands after 1 year and 11,100 miles Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 11.03.16 AM

Ford Bronco Sport My experiences with my 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands after 1 year and 11,100 miles Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 11.04.21 AM
The 10-way power seat in my previous Escape was far superior to the 8-way power seat in the BL. It had a tilt option for under thighs and more bolster support. I hate the seats in my 21 BL. I’m 5’6.

OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
The 10-way power seat in my previous Escape was far superior to the 8-way power seat in the BL. It had a tilt option for under thighs and more bolster support. I hate the seats in my 21 BL. I’m 5’6.
Good call, a tilt would be so nice. It’s like I got the premium package chuck in a tilt while you’re at it and I’ll pay a little more for it.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
Good call, a tilt would be so nice. It’s like I got the premium package chuck in a tilt while you’re at it and I’ll pay a little more for it.
Try the lift kit for front seat . On this forum it was talked about .

max the dog

Badlands
First Name
warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L8000, Excursion, F350, escape, BL, Hummer

This is my first new car and I've always had family hand me downs before this (Chevy S10, Jeep Wrangler, Chevy Silverado 1500, Volvo V70) and it would be my only car. I was looking for something in this class to go fly fishing with and be my daily driver and go anywhere car. I was also certain I didn't want a car with CVT. I have driven a lot of rental cars with it and its not something I wanted to spend money on. When I heard the BroncoSport had a true 8spd auto I was interested and things went from there. I decided to get the Badlands model because at the time I ordered the car, the price difference between the Badlands and OB was less than it is now and for the increased price there were some notable improvements including the engine etc.

Overall:
After a year I still find myself enjoying the car. The engine is performing well, the interior is still attractive, the sightlines are good and I really haven't had any notable issues to date. I've taken it on several long trips and it’s done well. Even at high speeds up passes this car still pulls despite being shaped like a brick. Its a solid and I'm happy to be making payments on it until I pay off the bank 4yrs from now. After that I plan on keeping it long term.

I have taken this car on the dirt as well. I've done some light trail driving here in Southern California and have been impressed with the AWD system and have had to use the electronic lockers. I've taken it to the Eastern Sierra as well and had some fun up there while fly fishing and finding stupid things to do with the car. Got some time on the trails in Montana as well.

The Good:
The Engine: The 2.0 is proving to be a really good little powerplant. I believe its rated at 250HP and 280. The torque is noticeable when going up the passes and when the car is fully loaded. On the way to Montana I had the dogs in the back and the roof basket was fully loaded. No issues there. On the way back from Montana my brother hopped in the passenger seat and the car was a full as it can be. Again no issues at highway speeds or passing. The engine is good.
The Size: I actually like the small size of the car. Most of the driving I do is around town in North County San Diego and having a small car is simply a beneficial thing between the traffic and parking lots.
Sightlines: This car is easy to see out of and I would simply not enjoy a car with bad sightlines. It’s so important for safety to be able to see around you and know whats around you and doing that in this car is easy to do.

The Not So Good:
The Seats: For me the seats simply aren't long enough. I have long femurs I guess and I find myself wanting an extension for the bottom portion of the seat. My legs have gotten used to but it remains noticeable on a daily basis.
The Gas Mileage: One of the know tradeoffs of the 2.0L engine is that the gas mileage isn't as a good as the 1.5L. For me I'm getting about 17.5mpg in the city and at highway speeds I'm getting the expected 25mpg about. Keep in mind San Diego is horrible for gas mileage. Imagine constant hilly stop and go traffic. You hardly ever get to go mile really even, at best 3 without being stopped at some light somewhere on some hill. Now at highway speeds the gas mileage is fine so long as you keep the speeds below 70. If you want to hypermile and take your time on a road trip cool. Apparently I'd rather get there a little sooner and spend more on go juice. Its opportunity cost at the end of the day.

Takeaways:
For a subcompact SUV this car is really enjoyable. Instead of being like the rest of the cars in its class, the BroncoSport Badlands offers something more capable more fun than its colleagues. No it’s not a true off-roader but no one buys a BroncoSport intending to go rock crawling. But the car will take you anywhere you want to go and will remain exciting while doing it. It has its drawbacks of course, but compared to its rivals, the Sport remains fun and I'm genuinely happy to have ordered one.

Ford Bronco Sport My experiences with my 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands after 1 year and 11,100 miles 6ABEC4FF-922D-4152-B1DF-BD8BE1875828_1_201_a

Ford Bronco Sport My experiences with my 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands after 1 year and 11,100 miles Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 11.03.16 AM

Ford Bronco Sport My experiences with my 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands after 1 year and 11,100 miles Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 11.04.21 AM
I took delivery of my 21 BL I'm waiting to reach 7K. As far as the seats, YES. My daily driver is a 2000 F450 7.3 , next is a 2003 Excursion both have the longer seat.

Bompen

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado Z71 2.8L Diesel
The seats are fine for my wife and I as we are both about 5'7". Why Ford got cheap on the passenger seat, I'll never know. It has no lumbar support and I can't stand to sit in it. We have a paint chip in the hood and bought the AeroSkin, but never put it on and returned it as it had too many restrictions relative to car washes, etc. We decided the wraps were too expensive ($2,400) and decided to take our chances. We also have chips on the second row passenger side door, but don't know where it came from, maybe the car wash, as it doesn't look like the typical ding from someone else's car door. We have one chip in the windshield, have not investigated getting it repaired. Have read on this forum that the glass and paint are cheap made in Mexico, so not much you can do about it. We live in the Coachella Valley in CA and the wind, blowing sand, and truck traffic and flying debri on I10 can do a lot of window and paint damage, but so far just what I've mentioned. Car runs fine, ready for 2nd oil change at around 8,000 miles. Relative to mileage, I have been anal about keeping a log and overall we are getting 21.3, although the dash MPG average is 22.5, the dash seems to overstate the actual mileage. With all local driving we average around 21. Most of our driving is local. On a couple of long trips (200-400 miles, Temecula and back, Lake Havasu and back) we have gotten 24 to 27. I try to run premium 91 when the price difference to regular is 20 cents, if it's more than that I run regular 87. The cost per mile runs between 18 cents/mile and at the highest 31 cents/mile. It is lowest when running premium and differential to regular is 20 cents or less, highest when running either regular or premium and the price is up and the driving is local. Being in CA the price is all over the map. In the 10 months we have owned the Bronco, we have paid as high $6.02 for regular and as low as low as $4.10 for premium. Yesterday $4.35 for regular as premium was $4.75. I would prefer to run premium all the time, as I have read on this forum or on YouTube videos that it is better for the engine, but not when it's higher that 20 cents above premium. One YouTube video also suggests changing the oil every 3,000 miles or risking engine damage because of the Turbo, but I compromised from my usual 5,000 and decided on 4, 000. Any thoughts on that?

Kraken23

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL
Not to further hijack this thread any further to be about paint chips, but...

My first new-from-the-dealer car was a 1979 Scout II, which, like the BS has all the dynamics of a shoebox. I dealt with paint chips from the day I bought it. And don't get me started about windshields. So we drove the BSBL as little as humanly possible until we could get it in for paint protection work. The vendor here in St. Louis for XPEL is an absolute artist. He covered virtually everything forward of the A-pillar - hood, fenders, grill, even the "BRONCO" letters. And you can't even tell it's there unless you search for the edges in the grill. Then he did ceramic coating on the entire car, including over the XPEL. The dealer had already stuck the hood protector on the car to ring up some extra $$ (we bought it off the lot) but we have since driven it a good bot and it seems that the paint protection film is living up to the promises. I can't recommend it enough!
I live in STL, who did you go too?

OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
The seats are probably great if you are 5’5” however if you are 6’2” @ 250lbs it’s like travelling on a bar stool. After the windshield glass, this is number 2 on my list of dislikes! If you have not had a crack in your your windshield yet.. it’s coming!
Oh I don’t know about that. I drove through the biggest hailstorm in my life driving through Utah last fall and it didn’t crack then. Literally ping pong ball sized hail and nothing. It was uniquely terrifying though sitting there stuck in traffic on the highway just waiting for it to give way.

BronzeSmokeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Nice write up! Agree with you about the seats too being 6'3' and all...not a deal breaker for me though since they are otherwise comfortable...I do wish the seat bottoms tilted...that would help!

I've noticed huge disparities in my gas mileage with my roof rack full loaded!... If I go 55-60 I will get 23-25MPG..... If I go 75-80 with the rack fully loaded I've gotten as low as 16MPG! As expected though! I've seen 29 MPG last summer on a 300 mile road trip going 60 the whole way too, with no rack installed. So It can vary....point I'm trying to make is the BSB never feels underpowered, even fully loaded which is worth the MPG penalty IMO.

westcoaster818

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport

Overall:

The Good:

The Not So Good:

Takeaways:

Nice! you have two black bears in the back.
Sponsored