Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Not sure if this helps.

Ford Bronco Sport My biggest complaint about the Bronco Sport in the moonroof 581C2D8F-E933-4194-A68F-F48B80A74F42

Ford Bronco Sport My biggest complaint about the Bronco Sport in the moonroof CBC90BE2-6AD1-4629-B65F-D277232EAA8E
Thanks for this! It all makes sense now! I don't know why I was thinking the moonroof slid into the roof like you usually see in other vehicles, but it's because of that step up roof line!

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Not sure if this helps.

Ford Bronco Sport My biggest complaint about the Bronco Sport in the moonroof 581C2D8F-E933-4194-A68F-F48B80A74F42

Ford Bronco Sport My biggest complaint about the Bronco Sport in the moonroof CBC90BE2-6AD1-4629-B65F-D277232EAA8E
Not sure that's a huge amount that isn't overcome by any combination of mounting towers and crossbars you'd be putting up there anyway? It does like a lot less of an angle than I thought it would be.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Does anyone else imagine just maybe, the moonroof mechanism in total might weigh about 50 lbs.? Part of the dynamic load limit up there is due to preventing rollovers -- something Ford would be especially sensitive about. Either roof (with or without moonroof) has plenty of static load capacity for most whatever you want to do up there -- using the rails, not directly on the roof of course.

OP
OP

Raymo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Does anyone else imagine just maybe, the moonroof mechanism in total might weigh about 50 lbs.? Part of the dynamic load limit up there is due to preventing rollovers -- something Ford would be especially sensitive about. Either roof (with or without moonroof) has plenty of static load capacity for most whatever you want to do up there -- using the rails, not directly on the roof of course.
Yeah, I think that’s most people’s understanding. How does that change anything though?

Cap

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
M
Yeah, I think that’s most people’s understanding. How does that change anything though?
might change things with insurance denial if your in an accident...

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Thanks for this! It all makes sense now! I don't know why I was thinking the moonroof slid into the roof like you usually see in other vehicles, but it's because of that step up roof line!
Many of the cars I have had have usually not slid into the roof.......

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It would mean the roof is STRONG ENOUGH, but that in Ford's estimation that +50 lbs. up there adds to rollover risk their lawyers thought best to avoid re: liability. The static load capacity is more than enough, moonroof or none.

Scott Loway

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Does anyone have pics with the moonroof open in relation to the roof rails?

This thread someone had an OB+OB and a 114lbs rooftop tent that didn't have any issues:
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/our-roof-top-tent-setup.1949/

Then this is a huge thread about real world roof weight limits too:
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/roof-weight-limit-real-world.1621/
It has to tilt up to clear the bump-up in the back; I'd say the glass in the middle raises around 3" above the factory rails.

Ford Bronco Sport My biggest complaint about the Bronco Sport in the moonroof IMG_3504

OP
OP

Raymo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It would mean the roof is STRONG ENOUGH, but that in Ford's estimation that +50 lbs. up there adds to rollover risk their lawyers thought best to avoid re: liability. The static load capacity is more than enough, moonroof or none.
If someone wants to exceed the limit, that’s their decision. That’s not really what I was talking about.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
I'm guessing those numbers were just copied over from the Escape manual. My Escape has the panoramic roof. My guess is the Bronco Sport roof rails are actually rated higher. The Escape sunroof opened inside but when you just pop it open it only goes up about a half inch above the roof. Hopefully the Sport's moonroof will open at least a couple of inches but not interfere with the Yakima Rack I'm moving over from the Escape.
I'd like to know how many inches there is between the edge of the glass and the rails.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If someone wants to exceed the limit, that’s their decision. That’s not really what I was talking about.
Yes it is; you're talking about a 100 lbs. dynamic limit, I'm suggesting that small difference is not that concerning if you're not driving in such way as to cause a rollover accident. The 100 lbs. dynamic weight limit appears to be a driving performance factor, not a structural limitation.
Sponsored